top 5 favorite books

Top five...

5. Nausea, by Jean-Paul Sartre
4. Notes from Underground, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
3. Stories, by Anton Chekhov (translated by Richard Peaver and Larissa Volokhonsky)
2. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Haruki Murakami
1. Requiem for a Dream, Hubert Selby, Jr.

Overall, the views toward individualistic lives fascinates me, and yes, I am an English major, so the list above covers all my interests. Sartre's book takes awhile to delve into the interesting elements of existentialism, but around page 95 it becomes quite grand.

ouch, that hurt.

It helps that I'm still over-ambitious to the level of attending and presenting at literary conferences in New York. Not that conferences are inherently fascinating, but when the university is paying my way (Kent State University), I'm willing to get all the mileage I can from them. Oh, and it should keep grad school from having to be in Ohio. Not that, eh heh, I want out or anything. Erm. No, not at all.

Crime and Punishment probably won't be tackled until winter break, though. ah, the joys of being a literary nerd.

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Human Action - Ludwig von Mises
Ethics - Aristotle
Windhaven - George RR Martin & Lisa Tutle
Lord Of The Rings - JRR Tolkien
Atheism: The Case Against God - George H Smith
Radical Enlightenment - Jonathan Israel
The Skeptical Enviromentalist - Bjorn Lomborg

Cool! Another George Martin fan, although I haven't read Windhaven yet. I don't really have any favorite books. My favorite genre is fantasy and my favorite books are the "A Song Of Ice And Fire" books by George R. R. Martin. (I ordered a signed Hedge Knight Comic Lithograph from www.GeorgeRRMartin.com) sweet, huh?

my sister is pretty much out of the wheel of time loop since she's been out so long so ya might wanna start over (a fate worse than death). I'm in the middle of path of daggers. I just wish jordan wouldn't talk about the boring-ass girls in the books so much

This is extremely hard, if it is philosophy you are talking about then Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Sartre, Wittgenstein and Hiedegger and the American dude that demonstrated philosophically that the Biblical God does not exist; as for the perennial philsophy then Pythagoras, Heraclitus, Democritus... Porphyry... Aldous Huxley...
Answering the question more generally is even harder... Hesse is certainly one of my favourites so is Michael Moorcock. Kropotkin and Trotsky are also great

FGuck I forgot Marquis De Sade:loco:

V.C. Andrews is very peculiar.

Michael Moorcock! back when I smoked much weed in college I thought that guy ruled. And he actually has a primitive metal connection, with the legendary British band Hawkwind (which included Lemmy!). They did songs based on his novels, all very high!

If you like fantasy with a high gore factor go with David Gemmell, and John Marco's Tyrants and Kings series

LOTR ... J.R.R. Tolkien
Mirror of Her Dreams ... Stephen R. Donaldson
the morgaine saga ... C.J.Cherryh
Vazkor ... Tanith Lee
Wilt ... Tom Sharpe

... well of course these are only a few of the many i've read and intend to read and are really good imo

Originally posted by famousamoswillkillyou
Yeah, and that's what I like. I enjoy reading about those sick fucks that do their cousins and whatnot. Highly entertaining.
I don't believe there's been even one series of V.C.Andrews books that didn't involve incest or rape...not even one V.C.Andrews book.I think she was born in Virginia,so...:rolleyes:
But the stuff that has her name on it lately(ghost writer)is just lame and most of it is just cliche and/or taken from the first one or 2 series that she wrote.
I must find Alice in Wonderland...