Dec 22, 2004
Sydney
Here's mine:

1. Tony Iommi (Sabbath... DUH!)
2. Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
3. Glen Tipton (Judas Priest)
4. Andy LaRocque (King Diamond)
5. Jon Nodveidt (Dissection)

A big runner up award goes to Marty Friedman.

1. Tommy Emmanuel (solo)
2. John Petrucci (Dream Theater)

Beyond that it's hard to pick but the following three stand out for me in no particular order:

3a. Dave Martone (solo)
3b. Brian Caroll (AKA Buckethead) (solo)
3c. Mattias Eklundh (Freak Kitchen)

Runner ups / special mentions would have to be Steve Vai, Marty Friedman, Tony MacAlpine, Brett Garsed, Kiko Loureiro, Steve Morse and Ron Jarzombek.

1. Steve Vai
2. Chris Broderick (Jag Panzer)
3. Eddie Van Halen
4. Michael Angelo (not one I like but you cannot look past his technical ability)
5. Kiko Loureiro ( Angra)

Special mention to Jorn Vigo ( Pagans Mind) writes some beautiful guitar solos

Hmmm...

Matt Green, Dave Carlo, Melechesh Ashmedi, Hexx, Yuri Ward, Dave Mustaine, Don Anderson, Chuck Schuldiner, Marauder, Mike Sifringer, Tim Grose, Nick Bowcott

You said pick 12 right?

Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom)
Chuck Schuldiner (Death) (Control Denied)
Jon Nodveit (Dissection)
Eric Johnson
KK Downing (Judas Priest)

In no particular order. I love something from each.

John Petrucci (Dream Theater, solo)
Rusty Cooley (Outworld, solo)
Tommy Emmanuel (solo)
Frank Gambale (solo and a million other projects)
Brett Garsed (solo and other)
Steve Vai (solo)

Yes I know there are 6 there. I couldn't help myself.

Allan Holdsworth is just too fucking good though really.
He might have the crazy stretches and lightning legato... but I'm yet to see him really translate it into anything that makes me go "wow" as a song. The closest is his recent Planet X contributions and even then I wouldn't rate his work as any more engrossing than Garsed's.

I've got "Metal Fatigue" and "The Sixteen Men Of Tain" as well but neither do it for me. Can you recommend something else or do I just not 'get it'?

1. Steve Vai
2. Chris Broderick (Jag Panzer)
3. Eddie Van Halen
4. Michael Angelo (not one I like but you cannot look past his technical ability)
5. Kiko Loureiro ( Angra)

Special mention to Jorn Vigo ( Pagans Mind) writes some beautiful guitar solos
Jorn from Pagans Mind is a brilliant guitarist. One of my favourite modern guitarists. His phrasing and note choice is amazing and he really knows how to build his solos almost to the point of being mini songs in themselves.

I've got "Metal Fatigue" and "The Sixteen Men Of Tain" as well but neither do it for me. Can you recommend something else or do I just not 'get it'?

If you don't like "Devil Takes the Hindmost" off Metal Fatigue or "The Drums were Yellow" off 16MOT then i'm afraid you would fall into the "don't get it/lack intelligence/go listen to AC/DC you stupid bogan :lol:" catagory...even though i hate using that phrase/s.

1. John Petrucci
2. Chuck Schuldiner
3. Jeff Loomis (and I might add, his 7 string signature is the best guitar I have ever played, period)
4. Joe Satriani
5. Mikael Akerfeldt

Special mention to Victor Wooten. If this was a best musician, best bass player or most funky thread he'd by my number one.