Rate following axemen

dargormudshark said:
Lifeson has great chords but man do his solos suck! I don't know what to give him.

His solos suck? Not Hardly. If you're looking for superior complexity and mastery of the instrument, he certainly does not possess that. Regardless, he is a very emotional guitarist and better than what people give him credit for. I assume that the only good guitarist in your book are the ones that do nothing but shred.
I was that way when I started playing(and still listen to them, shredding is a great technique to master), collecting inspiration from top notch shredders such as Malmsteen and Satriani, then to broaden my style I gave guys such as Mark Knopfler and Lifeson more room, and I found just as much inspiration from them as I did the others.

To each his own I guess. :rolleyes:

5-excellent
4-very good
3-good
2-good enough
1-not so good

Alex Lifeson-4
Al Pitrelli-3
Marty Friedman-4.5
Diamond Darrel-2.5
Timo Tolkki (Stratovarius)-3
Kirk Hammet-2.5
Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest)-3.5
John Petrucci-4.5
Michael Romeo-4.5
Joe Satriani-4.5
Steve Vai-4
Yngwie Malmsteen-4
Paul Gilbert-4
Jason Becker-5(In my opinion no one touches him, including the fellows on the list, I'd like to give him more than 5, I could really, none of those guys come close to shredding like he did)
Carl August Tidemann-4.5

Guitarmaster said:
Regardless, he is a very emotional guitarist and better than what people give him credit for.
If he weren't in a band with the best bassist and drummer in rock, he would be an acknowledged master of his instrument... he tends to be underrated because of that.

Guitarmaster said:
His solos suck? Not Hardly. If you're looking for superior complexity and mastery of the instrument, he certainly does not possess that. Regardless, he is a very emotional guitarist and better than what people give him credit for. I assume that the only good guitarist in your book are the ones that do nothing but shred.
I was that way when I started playing(and still listen to them, shredding is a great technique to master), collecting inspiration from top notch shredders such as Malmsteen and Satriani, then to broaden my style I gave guys such as Mark Knopfler and Lifeson more room, and I found just as much inspiration from them as I did the others.

To each his own I guess. :rolleyes:

Blackmore is my favorite guitar player, he is not a shredder, I like him because he is persistent. I don't think in his whole 36 year career of writing he has ever written anything bad. Alot of times he comes off sloppy, example the sweeps in "April", sloppy. But that was 1969, were there anybody else doing that in rock music. Randy Rhoads is an awesome guitarist but often he is credited fro bring classical elements to Rock music. That is wrong, Blackmore was first and then Uli Roth and then Rhoads. The reason I hate Alex Lifeson's solos because it often sounds like he is screwing with the guitar I have only heard about 2 or 3 solos I like. I can't explain it very well but listen to the solo for "A farewell to kings".

This is just my opinion though.

Platinum MAze wrote
Unfortunately, no. I will keep my eyes open for it.

You'll probably have to look on ebay.....Jorn Lande sings his nuts off on them (as usual)

and i'm still discouraged by how few of you guys know of Ronni LeTekro......do yourselves a favour.

dargormudshark said:
Blackmore is my favorite guitar player, he is not a shredder, I like him because he is persistent. I don't think in his whole 36 year career of writing he has ever written anything bad. Alot of times he comes off sloppy, example the sweeps in "April", sloppy. But that was 1969, were there anybody else doing that in rock music.
I always liked him, but began to greatly admire him when I started listening to his new music and what he's doing with acoustic guitar and production. We're going to see them soon...seats in front of the stage.
WaHoooooooo I can't wait.