Top 5 Metal Vocalists

Oh okay, I really need to check them out properly already. By the way what do you think about Limbonic Art?

I've owned Moon in the Scorpio for years and I don't really like it much. It meanders way too much and the keyboards dominate everything. The guitars are basically backing instruments, which is generally not what I want from symphonic black metal. Vargrav gets this balance right where so many bands fail. It's not terrible, though, and pretty well executed for what it is. I just don't actually like what it is too much, if you get what I mean.

The only other thing I've heard from them is The Ultimate Deathworship. Which focuses way more on then guitars, but is generally way too padded out and unengaging.

This was an early black metal listen for me. And even though that tremolo blast is a dime a dozen, I still kinda like it. Vocalist is also clearly giving it everything he's got! Christ, a lot of nostalgia listening to this one again!

I've owned Moon in the Scorpio for years and I don't really like it much. It meanders way too much and the keyboards dominate everything. The guitars are basically backing instruments, which is generally not what I want from symphonic black metal. Vargrav gets this balance right where so many bands fail. It's not terrible, though, and pretty well executed for what it is. I just don't actually like what it is too much, if you get what I mean.

The only other thing I've heard from them is The Ultimate Deathworship. Which focuses way more on then guitars, but is generally way too padded out and unengaging.

This was an early black metal listen for me. And even though that tremolo blast is a dime a dozen, I still kinda like it. Vocalist is also clearly giving it everything he's got! Christ, a lot of nostalgia listening to this one again!

This is the only album I've heard at this point but I thought it had a really good froward momentum and some nice drumming.

I thought you hated drum machines?!

I'll give it a listen at some point. It's really hard to find symphonic black metal I like, so I'm always wiling to give things a shot.

1. Al Jourgensen <3
  2. Bruce Dickinson
  3. Rob Halford
  4. Ozzy
  5. Lemmy
Runners up: Dio, Neil Fallon, Peter Steele, Quorthon, Paul Di'Anno
HM: Layne Staley and Zack de la Rocha (not sure if they count, but they might be top 5 for me)

Last edited:
Reactions: EspaDa
he was a clown and is nowhere near being anything quintessential. i get it if hes one of your favorite vocalists or whatever, but to say hes good or one of the top thrash metal vocalist is absolutely delusional.

Hetfield sounds absolutely nothign like him. never did and he never tried to .. thank god.

Reactions: Allfader
Listen to Metallica's demos and bootlegs prior to their first show with Exodus in October 1982; he very consistently had a higher-pitched, traditional clean singing metal style. Then after that show, and for the shows to follow, he stopped singing NWOBHM-style and tried being more harsh and gritty. His earliest attempts were pretty rough and he eventually developed his own distinctive voice that of course sounds nothing like Baloff, but those awkward transitional years were close, and there's no doubt in my mind that it was Baloff himself that inspired Hetfield's change in style.

And Baloff was a master. No one in metal sounded as unhinged as him at the time.

Tbh this is something I'm not sure how to answer because there are a lot of vocalists whose voices I love but whose work I'm more or less ambivalent to (Dio, Kürsch, others). Halford is certainly one of the best vocalists who ever lived but I'm still uninterested in like 80% of JP albums, so should I include him? I guess I'll try to list vocalists I love that are also in bands I love:

1. Patrick Walker
2. Daniel Heiman
3. Daniel Corchado
4. Mirai Kawashima
5. Bruce Dickins Christian Horton

Wait maybe I should've put Ballerio in there somewhere. Idk. This whole list is pretty arbitrary though the #1 is set in stone.

Last edited:
And now for something completely different - well, at least as regards my top 3:

1. Dawn Crosby
2. Monika Edvardsen
3. Agnete M. Kirkevaag
4. John Arch
5. Johan Langquist (on "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus")

Honourable mentions: Kenn Nardi, Messiah Marcolin, Robert Lowe, Jennie-Ann Smith

As regards Chuck Schuldiner (mentioned earlier), I think that his vocals are the reason why Death is the exception to the rule that I usually don't like death metal. They sound - at least to my ears - more natural than those of most other death metal vocalists I've heard so far. I also have to say that I like his vocals on the first three albums, out of which "Leprosy" is still my favourite, better than on songs I've heard from Death's later albums (out of which I only own "Symbolic", though).

For heavy/power/prog metal, I go with:

DIO
John Arch
Tate (at least until Tribe)
Jeff Scott Soto
Bruce Bruce
Halford
Nils Patrick Johansen
Early James LaBrie (up to Awake/Change of Seasons)

Death metal:
Lord Worm
Craig Pillard
Peter Tägtgren
David Vincent (up to Covenant)
Aaron Stainthorpe
Mikael Åkerfeldt
Frank Mullen
Spiros Antoniou
LG Petrov
Will Rahmer
The Curator

Black metal:
Garm
Vorph (early)
Aldrahn
Grutle Kjellson (up to Mardraum, I guess)
Stefan Necroabyssious
Dolk
Vikotnik
Ihsahn
Kvohst
Jon Nödtveidt
Silenoz in Stormblåst MMV
Markus Stock

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophii
This really varies according to genre, I think. I'm just going to list some that come to mind and maybe add/delete/change later.

Hetfield
Halford
Geoff Tate
Mike Scalzi
Tom Phillips
Ilja Jalkanen
ICS Vortex
Roy Khan
Hansi Kürsch
Vorph
Garm

Reactions: Sophii, Dak and CiG