Top Ten of 2011 Lists!

Okay this is a little more solid, though they're practically all battling for the top slot

1. Leprous - Bilateral
2. Voyager - The Meaning of I
3. T.M.Revolution - Cloud 9
4. Lance King - A Moment in Chiros (don't have it yet but Brent was playing it at work and I LOVED it!)
5. Iced Earth - Dystopia
6. Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstacy
7. Evergrey - Glorious Collision
8. Whitesnake - Forevermore
9. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
10. Revengeance - These Broken Wings

1. Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy (Favorite band with another amazing release.)
2. Work of Art - In Progress (Great follow up, even better than the first!)
3. Lost in Thought - Opus Arise (Best Debut of the year.)
4. Gorgasm - Orgy of Murder (Brutal Death legends return with another classic.)
5. Sun Caged - The Lotus Effect (A different approach, but I love it.)
6. Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus (I think the 5 death metal songs on this album are the best thing they've done since Domination.)
7. Symphony X - Iconoclast (Very dark and groovy...and catchy!)
8. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (Proving they don't need Mike to make their best record since Octavarium.)
9. Immolation - Providence (Just an EP, but it's killer.)
10.While Heaven Wept - Fear of Infinity (Great album, what else can I say.)

My list pretty much changes minute by minute, but as of right now:

Symphony X - The Iconoclast
Textures - Dualism
Circles - The Compass (could very well be my #1)
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Redemption - This Mortal Coil
Haken - Visions
Andromeda - Manifest Tyranny
Soul Secret - Closer To Daylight
Voyager - The Meaning of I
Blotted Science - The Animation of Entomlogy (yes, this is an EP, but so what?)
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
The Human Abstract - Digital Veil
Eumeria - Rebel Mind
Fair To Midland - Arrows and Anchors
In The Machine - s/t
Presto Ballet - Invisible Places

Yeah, I know that is way more than 10, but i will eventually get it sorted out.

I dont really have them in any order.
1. Opeth-Heritage: I thought it was an interesting take on their sound, favourite tracks were Famine and Hexprocess

2. Symphony X- Iconoclast: The sound overall was abit to samey in my opinion, they were going for a balls to the wall type of thing which I think they nailed. Still a fantastic album, favourite tracks Iconolclast and When All Is Lost

3. Revocation-Chaos of Forms : A fantastic technical thrash album, with catchy riffs and just amazing production. Favourite songs The Watchers and No Funeral.

4.Myrath-Tales of the Sand: One of the few oriental influenced bands I really enjoy, they built on the sound they had on their albums and turned it into a progressive masterpiece imo. Favourite tracks, Beyond the Stars and Wide Shut.

5.Haken-Visions: Such a great album, they turned it up a notch on this album. favourite track Visions (of course) and Shapeshifter

6. Sky Archetict-A Dying Man's Hymn: One of the best prog rock albums i've heard in awhile, has modren production, but has that 70s prog feel to it. Favourite songs, The Campfire Ghost's Song and The Breach.

7. Devin Townsend- Ghost: There is no words for me to describe how truely beautiful this album is, its so relaxing and just breath taking. Favourite tracks ALL OF IT.

8. Sun Caged-Lotus Effect: An album that surprised me when I found out that they released another one, im not sure why it did, but im sure glad they did release this album. Its a heavier direction than their other albums, but they did it well. Favourite tracks, Seamripper and Shades of Hades.

9. Oh Sleeper- Children of Fire: There hasnt been a metalcore album that has impressed me this much in awhile, passionate lyrics and vocals, with some great guitar work. Favourite Tracks, The Marriage Of Steel And Skin and Hush Yael.

10. Leprous-Bilateral: Another progressive metal masterpiece, not as atmospheric as their last album, but it still had me playing this album on repeat. Favourite tracks, Restless and Thorn.

Some late contenders to the table are
ANUBIS GATE - S/T
THEOCRACY - as the world bleeds
ANDROMEDA - Manifest Tyranny
LANCE KING - A Moment in Chiros
MYRATH - Tales of the Sands
VANGOUGH - Kingdom or Ruin

Some earlier that may have been overlooked
ENBOUND - And she says gold
LOST IN THOUGHT - Opus Arise
CLANDESTINE - The Invalid
MINDFLOW - With Bare Hands

So the Iced Earth disc has made its way onto my list - I've had it a couple of days now and am really digging it.

Also, I overlooked the latest Hammerfall - I've been spinning this one a lot lately and while I didn't really care for it at first, I have suddenly come to appreciate it more with each listen.

I haven't worked out much of my list, but Insomnium's new album "One For Sorrow" is almost certainly my album of the year. I felt like "Across the Dark" was good but a slight step down from "Above the Weeping World", but "OFS" is right back on track and a beautiful refinement of their sound. If you like melodic death metal at all, you should absolutely give this album a few spins.

I think this might be getting dangerously closer to being final. I'll allow myself one more revision.

1. Leprous - Bilateral
2. Haken - Visions
3. Borealis - Fall From Grace
4. Jolly - The Audio Guide of Happiness
5. Symfonia - In Paradisum
6. Eldritch - Gaia's Legacy
7. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
8. Lost in Thought - Opus Arise
9. Myrath - Tales of the Sand
10. Symphony X - Iconoclast
11. Voyager - The Meaning of I
12. Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
13. Eumeria - Rebel Mind
14. Amaranthe - Amaranthe
15. Appearance of Nothing - All Gods Are Gone

[Insert Glenn's Disclaimer Here]

Overall, I thought this was a weak year for metal. The new Leprous album is, in my opinion, twice as good as the next best release. I almost wanted to just do a top 4 album list instead. Anyways...

1. Leprous - "Bilateral"

---

2. Textures - "Dualism"
3. Jolly - "The Audio Guide To Happiness"
4. Korn - "The Path Of Totality"
5. Ghost Brigade - "Until Fear No Longer Defines Us"
6. Puscifer - "Conditions Of My Parole"
7. TesseracT - "One"
8. Cynthesis - "DeEvolution"
9. Arena - "The Seventh Degree Of Separation"
10. Symphony X - "Iconoclast"

---

DisHonorable Mentions:

Dream Theater - "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" : The song "Lost Not Forgotten" is so bad, I always skip the previous song as well just to make sure I don't listen to it. Call me crazy, but I'm NOT a fan of the new drummer.

Mindflow - "With Bare Hands" : There were several EXCELLENT songs on this album. They happened to all be on the previous album as well. wtf

Opeth - "Heritage" : I really like "Damnation". This, on the other hand, I could've done without.

My opinion is the polar opposite of those who thought it was a weak year. I thought 2011 was an exceptional year, so much so that narrowing my list to a top 10 was a nearly impossible task.

1) Borealis - Fall From Grace
2) Haken - Visions
3) Redemption - This Mortal Coil
4) Voyager - The Meaning of I
5) Leprous - Bilateral
6) Myrath - Tales of the Sands
7) Enbound - And She Says Gold
8) Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
9) Devin Townsend - Ghost
10) Lost in Thought - Opus Arise

Honorable mention: Symphony X, Anubis Gate, Lance King, Joe Bonamassa, Eumeria, Amaranthe, Malison Rouge, Voodoo Circle, Evergrey, Theocracy, Neal Morse, Black Country Communion and Wolverine.