Top Ten of 2011 Lists!

My opinion is the polar opposite of those who thought it was a weak year. I thought 2011 was an exceptional year, so much so that narrowing my list to a top 10 was a nearly impossible task.

I just went back and searched over my previous two years worth of top 10 lists (since I've only been on the forum since 2009ish) to see how they compared to 2011. In 2010, I would consider all albums but 1 to be better than my second ranked album of this year. In 2009, I would consider 7, maybe 8 albums to be better than my second ranked album of this year.

For me, I think it has to do with the various albums that I were expecting to be great, but were fairly underwhelming in the end. From the ones mentioned on my DisHonorable list to Amorphis (good, but nothing really fresh), even to the debut Vildhjarta album (A good album, but wish it had more cleans in addition to the harsh vocals).

Edit: I also think it has to do with my taste becoming more picky. There were a lot of decent releases by some newer bands (to me at least), but in the end, all the strictly progressive metal bands start blending together. That's why my list is littered with stuff like Jolly, that weird but addicting Korn release, Puscifer, and even the Cynthesis release.

2011's been one of the best years in recent memory IMO. I kind of slacked off for the first half of the year on checking out new releases, but there have been plenty to keep my listening interesting as of late.

5 releases that were added to my desert island list:
Redemption – This Mortal Coil
Symphony X – Iconoclast
Evergrey - Glorious Collision
In Flames - Sounds of a Playground Fading
Voyager - The Meaning of I

15 that rocked my world:
Amorphis - The Beginning of Time
Nightwish - Imagenaerum
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Borealis - Fall From Grace
Arena – 7th degree of separation
Royal Hunt – Show Me How to Live
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
Anubis Gate - S/T
Epysode- Obsessions
Lance King - A Moment in Chiros
Mercenary – Metamorphisis
Scar Symmetry - The Unseen Empire
Symfonia - In Paradisum
Eldritch - Gaia's Legacy

Honorable mentions:
Outloud - Love Catastrophe
Voodoo Circle - Broken Heart Syndrome
Eden's Curse – Trinity
Edguy - Age of the Joker
Amaranthe - Amaranthe
Appearance of Nothing - All Gods Are Gone
Wolverine – Communication Lost
Whitesnake – Forevermore
The Magnificent
Steel Panther – Balls Out

Since I have fewer than 30 2011 releases, I'm only doing a Top 5 which represents only those that I keep coming back to for more listens.

1. Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
2. Insomnium - One for Sorrow
3. Evergrey - Glorious Collision
4. Havok - Time Is Up
5. Borealis - Fall From Grace

1. Riot - Immortal Soul
2. Magic Pie - The Suffering Joy
3. Fergie Frederiksen - Happiness is the Road
4. Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
5. Subsignal - Touchstones
6. The Jelly Jam - Shall We Descend
7. Symphony X - Iconoclast
8. Leprous - Bilateral
9. Astral Doors - Jerusalem
10. Steven Wilson -Grace for Drowning

Honorable Mentions:
Redemption - This Mortal Coil
Royal Hunt - Show Me How to Live
Mecca - Undeniable
Emureia - Rebel Mind
Vicious Rumours - Razorback Killers
Iron Savior - The Landing

16) Night Ranger: "Somwhere in California"
15) Stormwarrior: "Heathen Warrior"
14) Journey: "Eclipse"
13) Dream Theatre: "A Dramatic Turn of Events" (Probably the begining of the end for DT. Apparently No Portnoy = No Metal. This is like 6 Degrees without the second CD. Still a decent to good CD, but easily my least favorite from them).
12) Riot: "Immortal Soul"
11) Theocracy: "As the World Bleeds"
10) Ancient Bards: "The Black Sword Crystal Saga"
9) Souspell: "Labyrynth of Truth"
8) Serenity: "Death and Legacy"
7) Symfona: "InParadisium"
6) Arch/Mathos: "Sympathetic Resonance"
5) Iced Earth: "Dystopia"
4) Elveking:Red Sient Tide"
3) Rhapsody: "From Chaos to Eternity
2) Solar Fragment: "In our Hands"
1) Symphny X: 'Iconoclast"

The blurbs and links to each artists facebook page:

http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-album-index-60-51.html
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-album-index-50-41.html
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-album-index-40-31.html
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-album-index-30-21.html
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-album-index-20-11.html
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-album-index-10-1.html

60. Jon Anderson | Open [Single/EP]
59. Sigmund Droid | Black Motorboat [EP]
58. Steven Wilson | Grace for Drowning
57. Stateless | Matilda
56. Cynthesis | DeEvolution
55. Typhoon | A New Kind of House [EP]
54. Strange Maps | Technicolor Experiments [EP]
53. The Cloak Ox | Prisen [EP]
52. Oedipus | Holding Out For More [EP]
51. False | Untitled [EP]
50. The Gloomcatchetr | Starla Over the Fences [EP]
49. Memoryhouse | The Years [EP]
48. Opeth | Heritage
47. Jonas Bjerre | Songs and Music from the Movie Skyscraper
46. Pain of Salvation | Road Salt Two
45. Glen Campbell | Ghost on the Canvas
44. Canon Blue | Rumspringa
43. Trent Romens | Aware
42. Marketa Irglova | Anar
41. Gotye | Making Mirrors
42. Falling Up | Your Sparkling Death Cometh
41. What's Left of Her | Perceptions
40. Skeleton Staff | Psychomorphism
39. The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra | All Out of Peaches
38. Jolly | The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 1)
37. Younger Brother | Vaccine
36. Al Di Meola | Pursuit of Radical Rhapsody
35. Kaddisfly | Demos & Rarities [Compilation]
34. Tokyo Jihen | Daihakken
33. Team Me | To the Treetops
32. Hands of Despair | Hereafter
31. Nicole Atkins | Mondo Amore
30. White Denim | D
29. NewVillager | NewVillager
28. Meniscus | War of Currents
27. UneXpect | Fables of the Sleepless Empire
26. Dream Theater | A Dramatic Turn of Events
25. Anathema | Falling Deeper
24. Erick Serna and the Killing Floor | The Grip
23. Mutemath | Odd Soul
22. Neverending White Lights | Act III: Love Will Ruin (Part One)
21. Radical Face | The Family Tree: The Roots
20. dredg | Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy
19. Brice Plays Drums | I Laugh at Your Greener Pastures
18. O'Brother | Garden Window
17. Vektor | Outer Isolation
16. For the Imperium | For the Imperium
15. Bruce Peninsula | Open Flames
14. Jimmy Gnecco | The Heart: X Edition
13. Water & Bodies | Light Year
12. *Shels | Plains of the Purple Buffalo
11. Tangled Thoughts of Leaving | Deaden the Fields
10. The Baltic Sea | Period Piece
9. Three | The Ghost You Gave to Me
8. Mercies | Three Thousand Days
7. Battle Circus | Battle Circus
6. East of the Wall | The Apologist
5. Between the Buried and Me | The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues [EP]
4. The Dear Hunter | The Color Spectrum
3. Arch/Matheos | Sympathetic Resonance
2. Kimbra | Vows
1. Hotel of the Laughing Tree | Terror and Everything After

Turkey Blog/Editorial coming soon.

Since the year is over and the albums have settled in i guess i can post my list now :heh:

10. DREDG - Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy
9. Devin Townsend - Deconstruction
8. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two
7. Haken - Visions
6. Megadeth - Th1rt3en
5. Protest The Hero - Scurrilous
4. Voyager - The Meaning of I
3. 3 - The Ghost You Gave to Me
2. The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum
1. Leprous - Bilateral

I guess I can grace you all with my 2011 list...haha...

#10: MEGADETH - Th1rt3en
Yet another solid album from Megadeth, the most consistent band out of "The Big 4." I do agree that this album is not quite as good as Megadeth's last album, and lacks some bite. Still, an average Megadeth album is better than anything Metallica could dream of these days.

#9: SCHEEPERS - Scheepers
Great first solo release from Ralf Scheepers, singer for Primal Fear. Some of these songs would be right at home on a Primal Fear release. When Ralf steps outside his comfort zone, it’s pretty cool too. Features contributions by Tim Ripper Owens, Kai Hansen, Mat Sinner, Magnus Karlsson, Sander Gommans, Metal Mike Chlasciak, Victor Smolski, Alex Beyrodt, and all drums are by Snowy Shaw. The lineup alone should give you an indication of how solid this album is.

#8: ANVIL - Juggernaut of Justice
Canadian Metal legends Anvil continue their climb upward with a very successful follow-up to ‘This Is Thirteen.’ I think JOJ actually surpasses it. Pretty much every song on this album is quality!

#7: ANTHRAX - Worship Music
A huge comeback for Anthrax, not just because it’s their first album in 8 years, but for bringing Joey Belladonna back as the singer. The band made the killer album they needed to and reclaimed their place alongside the other “Big Four” bands.

#6: ICED EARTH - Dystopia (Deluxe Edition)
One of my favorite Metal bands writes an album of songs based on my favorite genre of movies? Yes, please! Some songs are based on classic dystopian movies like Equiibrium, Dark City, V for Vendetta and Soylent Green, etc. Amazing album featuring new vocalist Stu Block from Into Eternity.

#5: SYMPHONY X - Iconoclast (Special Edition)
I love the “angry” Symphony X. This is the band’s second angry album, (8th overall) and an awesome follow-up to 2007’s ‘Paradise Lost’. This album is based on the idea of machines taking over everything and being humanity’s demise. It features some of the band’s greatest material, beginning with the title track, a nearly 11-minute masterpiece. Also, the Special Edition digibook features some great artwork!

#4: SABER TIGER - Decisive
Japan’s Saber Tiger is a band that has been around forever and probably had more members than the New York Knicks. Even Ron Keel was in the band at one point! The current members are all Japanese, and once again, they prove how awesome they can make Metal if they want to. This album is up-tempo the whole way and kicks ass!

#3: RIOT - Immortal Soul
Finally, after all these years, the Thundersteel/Privilege of Power lineup of Riot has reformed! I didn’t think it would ever happen! I am a fan of every era of Riot, but must admit this lineup holds a special place for me. Tony Moore sounds the same as he did 20+ years ago, which is amazing. The first two songs, “Riot” and “Still Your Man” could have come directly from the Thundersteel/POP days. “Fall Before Me,” “Whiskey Man” and the title track are incredible as well.

#2: VICIOUS RUMORS - Razorback Killers
I don’t know how this band does it. All credit goes to guitarist/songwriter/founder Geoff Thorpe, the guy is incredible. ‘Razorback Killers’ is the band’s sixth album in a row with a different singer! Yet they keep putting out great albums. Vicious Rumors’ last album ‘Warball’ was my favorite album of 2006. ‘Razorback Killers’ is awesome and one of my favorites of this year!

#1: CAGE - Supremacy of Steel
Here it is. Numero Uno. This was easy for me. ‘Supremacy of Steel’ is by far the best Metal album I’ve heard this year. When you think of what you want from Heavy Metal-- Supremacy of Steel has it all. This is not just the best Metal album of the year, it’s one of the best Metal albums ever made, period. Every time you think the Europeans have stolen the Heavy Metal thunder, Cage brings the Metal flame back to U.S. soil every time. Cage have topped their previous album four times in a row. Each song on ‘SOS’ is an individual masterpiece. A must own!

Btw, there are three different versions of this album, with three different bonus tracks: a US version, a Japanese version and a European version.

------------------------

Honorable Mentions:
Charred Walls of The Damned - Cold Winds On Timeless Days
Brainstorm - On The Spur of the Moment
Firewolfe - Firewolfe
Pagan’s Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Holy Force - Holy Force
Black ‘N Blue - Hell Yeah!
Stryper - The Covering
Animetal USA - Animetal USA
Motorhead - The World Is Yours
Jag Panzer - The Scourge of The Light
The Rods - Vengeance
Sinner - One Bullet Left
Halcyon Way - Indoctrination
Seven Witches - Call Upon The Wicked

Favorite Songs:
“Locked In The Dungeon” and “Dynasty” - Scheepers
“Murderball” - Vicious Rumors
“Monkey” - Black ‘N Blue
“Dehumanized” - Symphony X
“Zerospan” - Charred Walls of The Damned
“Riot”- Riot
“No Saint, No Sinner” - Brainstorm
“Metal or Die” - Firewolfe
“Angel of Wrath” - Saber Tiger
“Bloodsteel” and “Metal Empire” - Cage
“Juggernaut of Justice” - Anvil
“Fight ‘Em ‘Til You Can’t” - Anthrax
“Mind Games” and “Ragnarok” - Seven Witches

Favorite Album Covers:
Cage - Supremacy of Steel
Symphony X - Iconoclast
Brainstorm - On The Spur of The Moment
Holy Force - Holy Force
Charred Walls of the Damned - Cold Winds on Timeless Days

Favorite Books:
Off The Rails - Rudy Sarzo
Tales of A Ratt - Bobby Blotzer
I Am Ozzy - Ozzy Osbourne
It’s So Easy...and Other Lies - Duff McKagen
Iron Man - Tony Iommi
No Regrets - Ace Frehley

2011 CDs:

10) Riot - Immortal Soul
09) Iced Earth - Dystopia
08) Leprous - Bilateral
07) Iron Savior - The Landing
06) Voyager - The Meaning of I
05) The Aristocrats - S/T
04) Pagans Mind - Heavenly Ecstacy
03) Symphony X - Iconoclast
02) Haken - Visions
01) Gno - Cannibal Tango

Here is my absolute final list.

10. Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
9. Symphony X- Iconoclast
8. 3- The Ghost That You Gave Me
7. Andromeda – Manifest Tyranny
6. Opeth - Heritage
5. While Heaven Wept – Fear of Infinity
4. Pain Of Salvation - Road Salt Two
3. Arch/Matheos- Sympathetic Resonance
2. Protest The Hero – Scurrilous
1. Leprous- Bilateral

Honorable mentions:

Cynthesis- DeEvolution
Redemption- This Mortal Coil
For All We Know- For All We Know
Jolly- The Audio Guide to Happiness
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

My top 5, as expected, hasn't changed much since September. The rest of my list can be rearranged in any order and I wouldn't mind one bit.

15. Vangough - Kingdom of Ruin
14. Jolly - The Audio Guide to Happiness
13. Andromeda - Manifest Tyranny
12. Redemption - This Mortal Coil
11. Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
10. Voyager - The Meaning of I
09. For All We Know - For All We Know
08. 3 - The Ghost You Gave to Me
07. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt II
06. Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
05. Hotel of the Laughing Tree - Terror & Everything After
04. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous
03. The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum
1b. Haken - Visions
1a. Leprous - Bilateral

Dare me to choose between Haken and Leprous. Do it. I'll fight you.

I'll be real, I decided to not post my top 10 list this year on purpose on here due to it having alot of non-metal and borderline "objectionable" bands. Normally I don't care about that sort of stuff, but I didn't want to troll you guys with a list of bands that you guys will hate either. So I thought about it and decided to instead post my top 30 albums of 2011, alongside a disclaimer.

*disclaimer: As with every year there were many great metal records put out in 2011.... But unlike 2010 which saw some stellar, game-changing releases from Periphery, Nachtmystium, Kvelertak, and others, this year's metal releases ranged from "good to solid" I'd say. There weren't many metal albums that completely floored me, which a top 10 album really needs to do. I'll be providing my explanations for each pick and why I picked it and posting a Youtube link for the people who haven't heard the band and may want to check them out.

30. Nero - Welcome Reality

If 2011 was a year for anything, it was the year of dubstep. I think it's almost hysterical how quickly the genre went from being played in college dorms to getting into children's cereal advertisements. Yeah, dubstep sold out pretty hard this year - but I don't mind. If you ask me, electronic music has gotten kind of stale these last few years, and it's about time it got a kick in the ass. Lots of snobs, taste-elites, and IMNs bitch about dubstep being the bane of music's existence, and I'll never understand that. For one thing, its technical prowess alone should at least impress these dudes (I mean, it isn't exactly easy to create those sounds), and for another there are alot of similarities between a dub drop and a metal riff!

29. Korn - The Path Of Totality

If even as early as January 2011 you told me I would rank Korn anywhere near my top albums of 2011, I'd probably laugh at you. Korn had become so ridiculously irreverent that their "Remember Who You Are" release was basically regarded as a joke by everyone, despite the fact that they were "going back to their roots." Anywho, I kind of vomited in my mouth when I heard Korn was collaborating with Skrillex and Foreign Beggars, among other dubstep producers on a new record, but I have to say, I fucking love this. To think that Korn would actually become relevant in 2011/2012 is stupefying!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUOlc_j4rMA&ob=av2e[/ame]

28. Borealis - Fall From Grace

This was a solid modern metal release. I STILL cannot stop listening to it. Catchy as hell, great riffs, the singer has a unique style that keeps the band from becoming a Soilwork clone. I couldn't really ask for more from a band like this.

27. The Devin Townsend Project - Ghost

After being disappointed by the bloated, pretentious mess that Deconstruction was, I held out hope that Ghost would be much better, because it's become obvious that metal is not where Devin Townsend's heart really is anymore. I felt my disappointment subside in exchange for the sheer sense of joy and happiness brought on by Ghost. Listening to Ghost makes me feel like I'm in a dream, floating through clouds. So good!

26. Voyager - The Meaning of I

80's new wave meets Dream Theater-y prog metal? Sign me the hell up please!!!

25. Junius - Reports From The Threshold of Death

I saw these guys open up for Alcest and Enslaved. They were solid, but I wasn't feeling their performance at all, especially since they came on stage right after Alcest's magical set. I decided to pick up their 2011 release anyways and I really got into how unique this band sounds. It's like if The Smiths had a baby with Deftones.

24. Symphony X - Iconoclast

Symphony X is incapable of disappointing me, but I didn't love this record as much as I hoped I would ( think Paradise Lost was my number one album of 2007 if I'm not mistaken). It was a VERY good release though, filled with huge riffs, catchy choruses, and crazy arrangements.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67gUOkOG0aw&feature=related[/ame]

23. Textures - Dualism

The months before this record came out, I remember saying that if Textures put out a record in which all songs sounded like "Awake" off of their previous record, I'd eat it up like a nutella and peanut butter sandwich. Suffice-it to say, that's pretty much they did with Dualism. It's catchy, heavy, lusciously produced with REAL instruments and real takes by HUMAN BEINGS, and just such a great record. I do feel that if it only were a tad shorter, it would probably have ranked alot higher on my list.

22. Rhapsody Of Fire - From Chaos To Eternity

I'm not ashamed to admit it, I've always had a soft spot for these dudes. Some of my first metal bands were Mercyful Fate and Judas Priest, and I've always believed that Rhapsody was the logical continuation to that style. Despite how flowery the band is known to be, they, unlike most power metal bands, actually write RIFFS and don't chug along for 5 minutes while some keyboard refrain echoes in the background. I respect that, and this was a really good album that lived up to the band's roots. Too bad it is also the last.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXMzqCWcPKU&feature=related[/ame]

21. After The Burial - In Dreams

After The Burial rarely ever gets lumped in with the djent scene, and that's probably because they are more of a hc band than they are a metal band, but I still think they stand out from the clones, ESPECIALLY on this CD. "Pendulum" is one of the best examples of how to properly "djentify" punk!

20. Autopsy - Macabre Eternal

Most of the time, reunion records are horrible. Pestilence's last 2 records since they came back were pretty fucking attrocious, and even the Exhumed record was just OK. However, Autopsy knocked it out of the park with Macabre Eternal. In a time where death metal is pretty much entirely boring and unoriginal by and large, and almost every band coming out of the scene is either wanking like it's 2007 or buzzsawing like it's 1993, it's cool to hear an "oldschool" dm record that injects some unique, modern flavors.

19. Revocation - Chaos Of Forms

I called it that this band would be hot YEARS ago when I heard their debut record that they self released. However back then, they were a Cynic lite sort of project, and now they are much thrashier and even a little punk influenced. Honestly, I think the change was for the best, in a scene littered with shreddy, tech bands, Revocation brings the wank, but with a fun "don't give a fuck" punk aesthetic. So far they have yet to disappoint!

18. Close Your Eyes - Empty Hands and Heavy Hearts

There were so many great punk and hardcore releases this year that it made my head spin, and Close Your Eyes, originally a Rise Against-worship band came into 2011 with a unique identity. Empty Hands and Heavy Hearts is a phenomenal release for this young band.

17. Rwake - Rest

Probably the best record Rwake ever put out. So delightfully doomy and evil sounding!

16. Hell - Human Remains

I love this record. Nothing else to say. I feel like it's the Mercyful Fate album that King couldn't release in 2011 due to his back problems, so Hell picked up the slack for him.

15. Mastodon - The Hunter

Like Symphony X, Mastodon has yet to really disappoint me. The Hunter wasn't phenomenal, but it was another great Mastodon record, and like all great Mastodon records, they get SERIOUS playtime.

14. World Under Blood - Tactical

I'm a huge CKY fan, so when I heard Deron Miller was putting a metal project together with Tim Yeung from Vital Remains (now he's more famously in Divine Hersey and Morbid Angel) about 5 years ago I pissed myself. This is basically what I expect when I think CKY and metal combined. Just insanely catchy, aggressive, and full of great riffs.

15. Stray From the Path - Rising Sun

Before the Refused reunion, people were calling Stray From the Path the second coming of Refused, and I totally agree with that. In fact, bands like SFtP and Cancer Bats that are totally repping Refused without ripping them off and are still managing to stay fresh are really exciting to the hardcore scene. I liked the previous two SFtP records, but I LOVE Rising Sun. Also, all the times the singer screams "BLEH" on this record make it that much better.

12. Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Dave Grohl is the most talented human being alive in rock and roll. There, I said it.

11. Amorphis - The Beginning Of Times.

One of the most consistent bands in metal.

10. The Haunted - Unseen

As the tracks were being made available, I got more interested in it. I HATED the last 3 Haunted records, and I don't understand how any human being with ears could actually like them. They were basically putting out the exact same record over and over again. This time around, they were going for a more Alice In Chains/Crowbar sound with some Tool vibes (Dolving is a RINGER for Maynard on a few cuts off this album). So when I saw that this got a fucking 0 in Decibel (actually I was told this by a friend, no way in hell would I subscribe to that hipster rag), I was perplexed. How could anyone possibly POSSIBLY be disappointed with this record? I mean, I get it if you're an IMN dungeon master and you don't like anything rock-oriented, but chances are you probably never like The Haunted to begin with, so why the disappointment? Anyways, fuck 'em. This record smokes!

9. Trap Them - Darker Handcraft

Trap Them basically invented Entombedcore, and now not only are there hundreds of followers coming out of the woodwork, but there are hundreds of straight up Entombed clones coming out too now. Honestly, Entombed was dead to me after Clandestine, and Trap Them brought that sound back again. Yeah, Dismember and the like were killin' it too, but Trap Them injected hardcore and the occasional mathy riff to make things interesting. Not only is Trap Them seriously refreshing right now, but the band keeps getting better and better!

8. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart- Belong

I got into Pains on their debut, self titled record. I think one review refered to them as Ramones meets My Bloody Valentine. Pretty much accurate then. Seems like on this record there's more My Bloody Valentine than there is Ramones, but that's OK for me. Incredible record.

7. Fleet foxes - Helplessness Blues

The most soulful band to emerge out of this decade. I feel like I'm inside a cabin in the woods when I put their records on. Vinyl of course.

6. Touché Amoré - Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me

The second coming of Rites of Spring and AFI is here!!!!

5. Architects - The Here and Now

Like with The Haunted, Architects got a lot of flak for tossing away their Dillinger-influenced sound for a more Comeback Kid inspired one. And like with The Haunted, I think the change was for the better. One of the best records to come out in 2011.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovknCm9JayI&feature=related[/ame]

WARNING: if I haven't gotten shit from the metal police so far, here is where I am expecting the feces to fly.

4. Lady Gaga - Born This Way

Gaga sold me on The Fame Monster. Something clicked when I saw the "Bad Romance" video for the first time. As I said before, I LOVE the direction she went with Born This Way, which is a more 80's inspired record. Every song is utterly infectious, and brilliantly arranged. Can't help but wonder at where she will take her music next.

3. Asking Alexandria - Reckless & Relentless

When I first heard this song, I said "how long before Asking Alexandria gets a major label deal?" and people were like "who?" Now, after hundreds of thousands of records sold, playing the main stage of the Warped Tour, direct support for Hollywood Undead and Avenged Sevenfold, doing Skid Row covers with Sebastian Bach on TV, Jimmy Kimmel live, and now playing Mayhem Fest this summer, Asking Alexandria was undoubtedly the biggest band of 2011. But that's now why I love Reckless & Relentless, I love Reckless & Relentless because it's so damn catchy. It accomplishes what bands like Bring Me The Horizon and Attack Attack! could never do (actually write good songs), while retaining the sense of relevance that those bands have. They can roll with the 80's cock rock crowd, and they can roll with the moshcore crowd. All I know, is that this was a great record.

2. Death Grips - Ex Military

It's been a long time since a hip hop record made my year end list. The last time, it was Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass, which brought a much needed sense of intellectualism and class to hip hop. Still, I pined for the ferocity of early Wu Tang and the like. Enter Zach Hill from math rock band Hella, who decides to put together a mysterious hip hop group called Death Grips and release Ex- Military, the most ferocious hip hop record I've ever heard since Enter The Wu. It's almost a crime that Tyler the Creator is getting so much love these days when this record honestly stomps all over his pretentious nonsense. Hell, Ex-Military is arguably heavier than any metal record that came out this year. I tip my hat to you Mr. Hill. You made particle physics brutal.

1. Times Of Grace - The Hymn Of a Broken Man

Having grown up with Killswitch during the Leech years, I long missed the days of Alive Or Just Breathing. When The Hymn Of a Broken Man came out, I couldn't help but tear up when the record was over. I never thought I'd live to hear Adam D write riffs with Jesse Leech singing over them.

I don't care how much of a singer snob you are. If Jesse isn't on your "top vocalists list" after listening to this record, then you should rethink your perspective on life. Dude even gives Sir Russel a run for his money on some tracks. What a fucking record!

I would also like to give honorable mentions to Dream Theater, Yes, Torchbearer, and East Of The Wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not going to post my absolute Top Ten this year because I saw the thread gone. But, since it was gravedug :p i figgered, "Why not?" SO, here is my Top Ten:

10. Galneryus - Phoenix Rising (Building off of Resurrection, Masatoshi Ono is a great upgrade up front. CD deserving of a USA release)
9. Seven Witches - Call Upon the Wicked (A Lot better than their last effort)
8. Fuseboxx - Animated (NOTE: Music in both English and Tagalog. Deserves an American label release. Only criticism is they use the Chapman instead of a bass. Still a great CD)
7. Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy (Great stuff. I just wish they would push the envelope more with some longer, more eclectic, stuff.
6. Stratovarius - Elysium (Grew on me. Sadly may never see them again here in the States.)
5. Mastodon - The Hunter (See Stratovarius on the growing. Obviously we can see these guy in the States)
4. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (Best DT CD in eons. Got rid of the right guy.)
3. Halcyon Way - Indoctrination (Sick CD, EP my ass)
2. Voyager- The Meaning of I (I have not been this excited about a band since one night in 2005 going off BB Kings calendar that said, "Nightwish: Tour cancelled".)
1. Nightwish - Imaginaerum (Cements Holopainen's reputation as one of metal's finest composers.)