Top Ten Stories of All Time

Arkatox

Anomaly
So today, I (along with a few other people) wrote a blog article about my top ten favorite stories of all time. This includes books, movies, video games, songs, and even series (if it's the same story throughout the entire series). Who wants to guess what 20-minute epic by an awesome Christian progressive power metal band made first place?

http://rjhorst.blogspot.com/2011/12/top-ten-stories-of-all-time.html

Also, go ahead and post your own ten favorite stories as well! :D

I review fiction as a hobby, so all of mine are going to be books/series. They're mostly going to be current simply because there are so many to choose from and this way I can 'promote' those that are trying to make a living in the industry. So, here goes.

10) Nick Barrett Series by Sigmund Brouwer--These are fairly old and it's been a long time since I read them. I enjoyed the nice slow southern feel of these novels. They had good mysteries and with a lead character I really enjoyed following. My favorite is Out of the Shadows. An excellent standalone book by Brouwer is The Weeping Chamber. It's a great speculative novel.

9) Circle Series by Ted Dekker--I loved the original three books in this series, Black, Red, and White. Green, not so much. Personally it felt like an effort to milk the series. Dekker used to be one of my favorite authors, not so much anymore. However, it was his Circle Series that hooked me on his writing. It's a beautiful allegory infused with the author's passion. I can't pick a favorite from the series. Blink (not the re-write Blink of an Eye), Thr3e (not the movie), Showdown, and Saint are also good.

8) The Raleigh Harmon Series by Sibella Giorello--This series features quirky FBI agent Raleigh Harmon. Trying to do what's right, she often finds herself in trouble. She has an interesting family and a humorous personality that keeps what could be drab books light. It's hard to pick a favorite, but it's probably a tie between The Stones Cry Out and The Clouds Roll Away.

7) The Bug Man Series by Tim Downs--This is an often times humorous FBI/CSI series. The main character, Nick Polchak (a forensic entomologist) is a riot. I have enjoyed each of these books, but my favorite are Less than Dead and Ends of the Earth.

6) Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead--This is not a series, but an absolutely epic drama. I loved the main character and the path his life took. Few novels can move me to tears and this one did. His Song of Albion Series and current Bright Empires series are excellent as well.

5) Discarded Heroes Series by Ronie Kendig--I'm not a huge romantic suspense reader, but these books stole my heart. I'm a sucker for a military novel. Throw in flawed, hurting characters and I'm hooked. I adored Wolfsbane and am equally impressed with Firetorn. Great series even for those that aren't into romance.

4) Lion of War Series by Cliff Graham--The first book in the series Day of War is my top pick for 2011. I LOVE that book. This is not your average everyday flannel graph depiction of David and his mighty men. This is an epic, in-depth, adventure into their lives. The first book was fantastic. I've just started the second book, Covenant of War and it looks to be just as good.

3) Jerusalem Undead by Eric Wilson--Eric has got to be one of the most under-appreciated authors of Christian fiction. This is not your sterotypical vampire novel. It's dark with flawed characters and an intelligent, complex plot. Favorite is Haunt of Jackals.

2) Dreamhouse King Series by Robert Liparulo--An excellent YA time travel series. It's marketed to YA, but equally enjoyable for adults. I love the characters and the story doesn't stop moving. The themes are subtle, but excellent. Favorite is Frenzy. It ties the whole series together beautifully. I also love his book Deadlock. One of my top 10 all time favorites.

1) Patrick Bowers Series by Steven James. This is a fantastic FBI series. Gritty, with good themes, complex plots, and amazing twists. Favorite in the series is The Bishop.

Interesting lists guys. I might make one and post it, but one story that immediately came to my mind was Shadow Gallery's Tyranny/Room V plot arc. If you haven't heard them, or those two albums, give them a shot. I love a good concept album, and these two are top notch. It deserves to be a film(s), but I don't think it would come across the same. It's like an "audio" movie... amazing plot :)

9) Circle Series by Ted Dekker--I loved the original three books in this series, Black, Red, and White. Green, not so much. Personally it felt like an effort to milk the series. Dekker used to be one of my favorite authors, not so much anymore. However, it was his Circle Series that hooked me on his writing. It's a beautiful allegory infused with the author's passion. I can't pick a favorite from the series. Blink (not the re-write Blink of an Eye), Thr3e (not the movie), Showdown, and Saint are also good.

I love Ted Dekker. He's the one who got me into quality fiction. In August I got to attend an event hosted by Ted Dekker, Robert Liparulo, Tosca Lee, Eric Wilson and Steven James. It was seriously a life-changing experience. There were only about a hundred attendees. $650 tickets. It was called The Ragged Edge. I believe they're planning another one. If you get the chance, go to it. You will never regret it. It's worth the money.

I've read all of Ted's books (The Blood Book included), which the exceptions of The Slumber of Christianity, To Kill With Reason, the original Blink (though I have read Blink of an Eye), the Christmas specials and Forbidden (which I am reading now).

7) The Bug Man Series by Tim Downs--This is an often times humorous FBI/CSI series. The main character, Nick Polchak (a forensic entomologist) is a riot. I have enjoyed each of these books, but my favorite are Less than Dead and Ends of the Earth.

I read Nick of Time and thought it was amazing (I got it because I am a member of BookSneeze, which I recommend you join if you haven't already). I feel very guilty about reading a book in the middle of a series, as it goes against my own code, but I thoroughly loved the book.

6) Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead--This is not a series, but an absolutely epic drama. I loved the main character and the path his life took. Few novels can move me to tears and this one did. His Song of Albion Series and current Bright Empires series are excellent as well.

I have read the Bright Empires series. At least the books that are out, The Skin Map and The Bone House. I can't say I enjoyed the first one: the entire book was boring and felt like it was leading up to the story, which felt like it finally actually started at the end. The second was much better, though. Both were very slow.

3) Jerusalem Undead by Eric Wilson--Eric has got to be one of the most under-appreciated authors of Christian fiction. This is not your sterotypical vampire novel. It's dark with flawed characters and an intelligent, complex plot. Favorite is Haunt of Jackals.

I haven't read any of Eric's books, but I met the man at The Ragged Edge and we became somewhat friends (everyone could interact with the authors because there were so few people). In fact, he's naming a character in Two Seconds Late, the sequel to One Step Away, after me. Yup, there's gonna be a character named Reuben King. :D

2) Dreamhouse King Series by Robert Liparulo--An excellent YA time travel series. It's marketed to YA, but equally enjoyable for adults. I love the characters and the story doesn't stop moving. The themes are subtle, but excellent. Favorite is Frenzy. It ties the whole series together beautifully. I also love his book Deadlock. One of my top 10 all time favorites.

Oh, I've been wanted to read that series! I met Bob (Robert Liparulo goes by the name Bob, and also seems to pronounce his last name with one syllable) at The Ragged Edge and he's also a member of my Facebook writing group. I've heard amazing things about The Dreamhouse Kings. Third place on my list was actually his upcoming novel, The 13th Tribe. You definitely need to read it when it or an ARC of it becomes available.

1) Patrick Bowers Series by Steven James. This is a fantastic FBI series. Gritty, with good themes, complex plots, and amazing twists. Favorite in the series is The Bishop.

Steven James is my all-time favorite author. I actually got to chat with him about the Bowers Files for about ten minutes before I was called away to take a group picture (my writing group together with Ted Dekker). If I had any more space of my list I would have definitely put Pat Bowers's series on it. Unfortunately, the limit was ten. So that's that. My favorite in the series was either The Pawn or The Knight. I own The Queen but haven't gotten around to reading it. (I get books far faster than I can read them, as I'm a slow reader.)

Ichthus... we appear to have a lot in common, heheh. I'll have to check everything out on your list. My book list's pretty long as it is, but hey, I'll probably run out someday! (Actually probably not.)

I love Ted Dekker. He's the one who got me into quality fiction. In August I got to attend an event hosted by Ted Dekker, Robert Liparulo, Tosca Lee, Eric Wilson and Steven James. It was seriously a life-changing experience. There were only about a hundred attendees. $650 tickets. It was called The Ragged Edge. I believe they're planning another one. If you get the chance, go to it. You will never regret it. It's worth the money.

I've read all of Ted's books (The Blood Book included), which the exceptions of The Slumber of Christianity, To Kill With Reason, the original Blink (though I have read Blink of an Eye), the Christmas specials and Forbidden (which I am reading now).

I've pretty much parted ways with Ted's work. I've read everything he's published but The Priest's Graveyard. I've been so disappointed in his recent books, I didn't want to take the chance that I wouldn't like another one. I really try hard to request books that I think I'll like. I read Forbidden and was disappointed in it. It lacked originality and didn't have enough of Tosca's flare. She's an awesome author. Don't know if you've read either of her solo books, but they are excellent.

II have read the Bright Empires series. At least the books that are out, The Skin Map and The Bone House. I can't say I enjoyed the first one: the entire book was boring and felt like it was leading up to the story, which felt like it finally actually started at the end. The second was much better, though. Both were very slow.

The Skin Map does have a very slow start, but that seems to be his style. All the books I've read by him seem to start slow.

Oh, I've been wanted to read that series! I met Bob (Robert Liparulo goes by the name Bob, and also seems to pronounce his last name with one syllable) at The Ragged Edge and he's also a member of my Facebook writing group. I've heard amazing things about The Dreamhouse Kings. Third place on my list was actually his upcoming novel, The 13th Tribe. You definitely need to read it when it or an ARC of it becomes available.

Bob is awesome! He's one of the nicest people I've ever met. I can't wait to read The 13th Tribe. I've been looking forward to it since we interviewed him in 2010. Thomas Nelson puts all their fiction titles on NetGalley. I'm waiting to pick it up from there. I get so many physical copies of books, if I know I can get a digital copy I'll wait for it.

Steven James is my all-time favorite author. I actually got to chat with him about the Bowers Files for about ten minutes before I was called away to take a group picture (my writing group together with Ted Dekker). If I had any more space of my list I would have definitely put Pat Bowers's series on it. Unfortunately, the limit was ten. So that's that. My favorite in the series was either The Pawn or The Knight. I own The Queen but haven't gotten around to reading it. (I get books far faster than I can read them, as I'm a slow reader.)

I loved The Knight as well. It's my second favorite in the series. I look forward to our yearly interview with Steven. I feel smarter just for having talked to him. I can't wait to read his new series that starts this year. His non-fiction books are very good as well. I'm looking forward to reading Flirting with the Forbidden.

Ichthus... we appear to have a lot in common, heheh. I'll have to check everything out on your list. My book list's pretty long as it is, but hey, I'll probably run out someday! (Actually probably not.)

I know what you mean. My stack overflows, but hey it's a fun hobby. I visited your blog. I enjoy Erin Healy's work as well. Both books she released this year made my personal top 10 list for 2011.