Toronto - Sound Academy, May 4

PoofGoodbye

Jan 25, 2008
Hello there,

I just wanted to thank the band for the awesome show that saw yesterday. A truly amazing atmosphere and the songs chosen for the show. Anyway, I just wanted to highlight a few things from the show.

At some point Mikael started playing Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams and the crowd joined in. It was pretty funny. Especially when he said that Adams is a huge fan of King Diamond.

Credence, Hessian Peel and Closure were the highlights of the evening for me. Closure went on for quite a while with lots of psychedelic improv. He also mentioned that the band from which he took the name Blackwater Park was a mix of Uriah Heep and Deep Purple (with which i don't agree, but oh well). Anyway, it was a great evening with lots of jokes and great moments.

The setlist is as follows:

Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
The Leper Affinity
Credence
Hessian Peel
Closure
The Night and the Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
Encore:
Deliverance

Once again, thank you Opeth for coming to Toronto and playing such an awesome show. I hope that you will have a great time resting and writing new material in 2010.

Hello there,

I just wanted to thank the band for the awesome show that saw yesterday. A truly amazing atmosphere and the songs chosen for the show. Anyway, I just wanted to highlight a few things from the show.

At some point Mikael started playing Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams and the crowd joined in. It was pretty funny. Especially when he said that Adams is a huge fan of King Diamond.

Credence, Hessian Peel and Closure were the highlights of the evening for me. Closure went on for quite a while with lots of psychedelic improv. He also mentioned that the band from which he took the name Blackwater Park was a mix of Uriah Heep and Deep Purple (with which i don't agree, but oh well). Anyway, it was a great evening with lots of jokes and great moments.

The setlist is as follows:

Heir Apparent
Ghost of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
The Leper Affinity
Credence
Hessian Peel
Closure
The Night and the Silent Water
The Lotus Eater
Encore:
Deliverance

Once again, thank you Opeth for coming to Toronto and playing such an awesome show. I hope that you will have a great time resting and writing new material in 2010.
You guys got the exact same setlist as Montreal... different order I think. Anyways, glad you enjoyed the show!

Closure was insane!

Do more of that kind of shit! I fucking love it!

Also, what was that Porcupine Tree song Mike started playing there? I can't remember...

Anyway, great fucking show! Thanks so much!

omg i would shit my pants if mike started to play something from porcupine tree. opeth and PT are amazing. especially when collaborating...

Ah, okay, I didn't recognize because of the electric guitar, but I knew it was PT, I agree with Mike, great song.

Anyway, Morningrise cover... PMS commercial? I laughed my ass off at that one.

Mikael said he's considering changing his look, like Geddy Lee with a weird haircut.
He said Geddy Lee is looking like Steve Wilson now.
"Who fucking cares? ...Apparently, I do."

After having us sing some notes, Mikael asked if we think they are retarded. He said they are, and pointed to Martin Mendez saying he is especially retarded.

Mikael talked about major and minor chords and how they're supposed to be happy and sad. He played some chords for us to identify, then talked about the E chord, which is even sadder.

Fredrik played a solo, and Mikael commented on how you wait for the moment when the guitar goes high.

I was there, me and my girlfriend. 'twas awesome. It was nice holding her and swaying to Credence, and then headbanging to pretty much everything else, haha. And the extended closure was so awesome. And yeah, it was pretty funny when everyone was singing along to summer of '69.