Tracking a solo

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
my very first youtube upload ever....

it's me tracking a solo i did earlier tonight on an album i'm producing and mixing for a band called Structure Of Inhumanity... the vid was shot by the keyboardist/head-honcho of the band, Jonah Weingarten (who also mans the 'boards' for Pyramaze and Written In Blood) on my new iPhone 3GS, and uploaded directly to youtube via the phone, after using it's vid editing features to trim the top and tail.

you are seeing the second, and keeper take, live as it went down... not that tough of a solo to be honest, so that's not saying too much. after that take i added some harmonies here and there. should have that track mixed real soon and up on the band's myspace... the solo you hear starting up right after mine is Peter Wichers, ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
did Chuck do all the Rhythms, or did you lend a hand on "Healing"?
we split the rhythms, Chuck played 2 tracks on one side and i played 2 on the other. off the top of my head right now i can't recall which side is who. i wrote a substantial amount of the music on the album (1/4th of it actually), not including lyrics, and we were very well rehearsed.

we split the rhythms, Chuck played 2 tracks on one side and i played 2 on the other. off the top of my head right now i can't recall which side is who. i wrote a substantial amount of the music on the album (1/4th of it actually), not including lyrics, and we were very well rehearsed.

Thanks for sharing it with us, James :kickass: Highly appreciated!!

The lead solos of You and Chuck was one of the reasons I began making music :)

Cool man, can't say I'm a fan of all that whammy vibrato, but that's a totally stylistic choice of course, and the little dips are really cool - about Spiritual Healing, interesting to read that the rhythms were quad-tracked, was that as popular back then as it is now?

Thanks for that info. I am looking through the CD Booklet now and I see the songs that you get writing credits for. What was the extent of Terry Butler's writing? Guitars? Bass? He gets mentioned on a few songs also.

Sorry for the OT. This was such an outstanding album in its time and to get info "from the inside" on it nearly 20 years after first hearing it, is great. Thanks.

Cool man, can't say I'm a fan of all that whammy vibrato, but that's a totally stylistic choice of course...

I like it (that goes for the whole solo as well). It appeals to the MacAlpine in me. :) And speaking of solos Marcus,**off topic alert** I may be hitting you up for another shared solo, if you're up to it. Just have to decide if I want to do the whole thing myself or not. ;)

...the rhythms were quad-tracked, was that as popular back then as it is now?

It's not my place to answer for Mr. Murphy...but yes. I was even quad tracking my rhythm parts on the old Tascam 4-track 20 years ago. :)

Thanks for posting this James. Can't wait to hear the whole track!

Cool man, can't say I'm a fan of all that whammy vibrato, but that's a totally stylistic choice of course, and the little dips are really cool - about Spiritual Healing, interesting to read that the rhythms were quad-tracked, was that as popular back then as it is now?
fair play... but i hope you are talking about the way it sounds, and not the visual.

yeah, quad tracking was fairly common then in my recollection.

i have another solo done, and we filmed it as well.. but my bandwidth is not allowing me to upload it to youtube at the moment.... going to keep trying, so check back.