Tracking & editing 101

userchanged1

Aug 11, 2011
Hi guys
There are TONs of tone shaping, mixing and mastering tutorials out there, but i am wondering if there is a decent tracking/editing guide somewhere.

I am set up with decent gear and software. I have recorded some riffs and can get it to sound OK for my needs, but now I'd like to record full songs.

As getting all the takes in one solid playthrough would be the bomb, that's probably not common practice. So how would one go about tracking on a riff-by riff basis and weld the riffs together so to end up with one track that is ready to add to the mix. So basically which tools do i need to 'process' the raw takes in order to get a track ready to mix, which manipulations are common practice and which are a no-go? I mean in terms of timing correctionsn, etc.

Anybody know of a half-decent guide on the topic?

thanks!

I can't point you to a guide, but as far as actual tracking and editing....

What I like to do is record each instrument part-by-part so as to get the best takes possible from the source and edit any weird crossfades/punch-ins as I go so that you can't hear any noticeable cuts or seams. Once all edited, render or "Glue" in Reaper so each track is just one .wav file.

As for tools to process, your DAW should come with a bunch of stock plug-ins you can use and there are a bunch of free ones floating around the net.

This below should be your bible for recording guitars. Read it over and over ten times. Then sleep on it and read it again ten more times.

Cooperman:
In my opinion there are a couple of small things that go a long way to making a player sound great. The first is unwanted noise. Whether it be the noise of your fingers sliding up and down the strings or a string buzzing accidently, if you can get the unwanted noise down it will always sound half decent.

Decent vibrato will also make a huge amount of difference. It doesn't have to be super wide vibrato say like Zakk Wylde (although he does have just about the best vibrato around - especially on his pinch harmonics). It just needs to be smooth and so it doesn't sound like a bee.

The other main thing is the guitarists ability to double tracks accurately. This is not just a timing issue but also a feel issue which is hard to explain in words. But for me, the feel is all in the picking hand. How you mute, whether you're playing on, in front or behind the beat... that kinda thing.

Sneap:
You've hit the nail on the head here. I really would go as far as saying 70% of a great players tone is in his hands. I know thats a real cliche but the more I do this job, the more I KNOW its true.

I actually spend alot of time when tracking telling guitarists to play closer to the bridge, watch out for the squeak between that B and D chord etc.

I can guarantee if you played through Eric Petersons rig you'd be like "wheres the gain?" because he really digs into the strings to get the attack and response.

Alot of kids nowaday are buying high gain amps and hiding behind the distortion, thats what I like about Marshalls (800s), you can't do it. If you sound great through one of those, you've got you're playing down. Then you've got to start practicing throwing shapes.

Coopermans right about vibrato also, it kills me to hear really fast vibrato, it sounds so unconfident

I use Cubase 5 too, the jump to learn slip editing was huge, so helpful. Although I find myself slipping too much, which can be destructive, like anything done in excess.

But anyhow, set up your slip editing by watching this video I think 006 has it in his sig, its SUPER helpful and very clear. It helped me set up my slip editing preferences and such. Although he is using the Mac version of Cubase 6 (or 5 whatever) I believe, it all is the same. That should get you going.

Buy the Multi platinium Protools books, it's a whole bible about editing imho.
And before you jump on me saying you don't use PT, technic explained in that book apply with every daw.