Tracking noise from playing guitar facing monitors?

Downtuned

Losethehorizonagain
Mar 25, 2011
UK
Hi folks,

Juts wanted to ask, how much would sitting facing your computer screen(s) and monitors affect your DI's in terms of noise?

I had never thought about it before but I had always sat with my guitar tracking in my DI's pretty much face on to my work station. I don't think I can hear any noise but I don't know what I'm looking for really and I have bother with fizz more often then not. I play a Schecter Omen 7 with EMG 81 in bridge and 85 in the neck.

I see in some tutorials the player turns 90° away from the work station or turns around completely but I'm not sure if that is just to face the camera. I'm comfy facing the screen as I can see what's going on so just wondering if it may be absolutely necessary to move away.

Thanks!

Maybe active pickups are different, but I track at my desk, monitors cranked to whatever I feel like, guitar about three feet directly in front of the monitors. I've never, once, heard the slightest bit of noise in my DIs.

never been a problem on my end. if you hear noise when you are not playing then there is an issue. if you have a fizzy tone it's time for an amp sim/ir change if eq doesn't fix it.

I get noticeable noise with my EMG81 equipped guitar at about 3 feet from my computer monitor and maybe 5 feet from my speakers. If I turn about 45 degrees left or right it helps the noise die down. Either way, I can't hear it in the recorded tone except during pauses.

The old CRTs were the worst for this but I still find computer power supplies can still cause issues with some pups. Some mobiles wreak havoc too. EMGs are generally ok but Some Duncan's can have issues and single coils of all flavors. Somewhat off topic but at an old house I lived in I was pulling my hair out trying to deal with noise in my guitar. I tried everything normal/obvious to no avail. Finally I literally unplugged everything but DAW essentials and it was gone. Long story slightly shorter, it turned out there was a ground loop in the power caused by the cable split between my modem (wired Ethernet) in my office and my tv in the living room. I bought a coax ground iso and it fixed the issue.

Great, thanks for the reply's guys.

I'm in a less than ideal listening environment right now with my workstation jammed up against a wall near a corner with not much space for myself or the sound to move but getting new gear soon and doing a complete reshuffle of my room plus some treatment and just wanted to find out some opinions on facing the speakers as it's been at the back of my mind for some time and I thought it was worth investigating any small thing that could possibly affect the sound.

I think once I get my new setup I may play it safe and do a small tilt away.

Thanks again for the opinions!