Tracking with drumagog and triggers...

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Ok Ive been using drumagog while tracking to play samples and my only gripe is that...

A. I either have false triggers on the hard hits (triggers twice) and I catch the lower dynamics or ...

B. I cut the lower dynamic stuff (raise sensitivity) and get no mis triggers on the hard hits.

Any idea's or methods to try and solve this. Ive tried a compressor in front of drumagog to bring up the lower hits a bit and then that usually just make my hard hits flam or double trigger still. Its driving me nuts and Ive been after a fix all day. I even did a diy mesh drum head today for my snare and still had the same problems. I even stuffed the snare with old cloths and that helped a bit but still not 100%.

This is what i feel like..:guh:

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking to myself earlier...I wonder if Joey has this problem as well. :p

just tell the drummer to deal with not hearing the sensitive hits
you have to go back and manually tell drumagog what to do anyways and bounce

Anyways this is what i ended up doing for my last two projects. Which was not so much of a big deal because they were both deathcore bands. I have a pop punk band coming up and it is going to be my first label release in stores. I know you have done some pop style bands, so i must ask...

Do you quantize everything 100% to the grid with that style as well?

I have been tracking triggers only + overheads for almost a year now and I've always had this problem while tracking... I was actually just going to post here about this, I had hoped someone had a solution.

I've had a little bit of luck with compression + a lotttt of time messing with the drumagog settings but I feel like there must be a better way. I end up transferring the hits to midi for editing and that usually works out fine, I can adjust my velocities however needed... but it would be great to be able to track and hear the kit exactly as played. Electric kits do it, don't they?

As for quantizing, in the past I have quantized everything 100% to the grid(that includes pop punk) but lately I've been reading about pocketing a bit after the click, for a bit more of a natural feel. I'm not sure how I feel about it though? I haven't actually had a chance to try it.

I'm newer to this and was wondering if someone could tell me what to do about the latency in drumagog. I put a sample over a track and it lags by 30 milliseconds or so. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Also, when I quantize my drums to the grid the overheads don't line up and it gets jumbled as all hell. Am I retarded? HELP!!!

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking to myself earlier...I wonder if Joey has this problem as well. :p

Anyways this is what i ended up doing for my last two projects. Which was not so much of a big deal because they were both deathcore bands. I have a pop punk band coming up and it is going to be my first label release in stores. I know you have done some pop style bands, so i must ask...

Do you quantize everything 100% to the grid with that style as well?

congrats on your first label release in stores:) Care to brag about what band? haha

I always have this trigger problem with deathcore bands since the drummers love to smack the heck out of the snare on breakdowns, and vagina tap it on blastbeats. I dont see how you should have any problem on a pop punk band with a decent drummer though, as they almost always do super hard his on everything they play.
And for the pop punk bands i've done, i did 100% quantization...but i'm far from being a pro haha

Thanks Brian...

The band is called Take Notice and I cant say the Label name yet (they want me to keep quite on that) but there is another big pop punk band everyone knows on the same label. I'm still waiting for my deposit check from the Label, and I'm stoked cause its my first. I think I'm gonna copy it frame it and put it on the wall :p

Yea the drummer is really solid though and your right, Pop punk drummers are usually bashing the hell out of the kit all the time. The only thing i was concerned about was like tom/snare build ups or snare roll build ups. I can always just fix after tracking though, so no big deal.