Travelling to Sweden

Edenspring

New Metal Member
Jul 17, 2006
Because of loving this swedish metal it's obviousliy unmissable to visit this nice country too. But it's long ago since I was there with my familiy. This time I want to go there not by car but by rail or other public transports and with my backpack. I already looked up some travel guides bout sweden, but most time they didnt include many hints for travelling without car.
Perhaps some of you have visited sweden, too, so if anyone got some tips oder advises (any tips are requested, also especially some tips in the metal direction, as pubs oder anything else).
So let me know...

If you love the music, then why dont you just keep buying cd's? :err:
Ive gone through my own "OMG Scandinavia is so awesome!!111" phase, but really, there's nothing special about those countries. In fact, with the little population and that much space, I guess there are a lot of people living in places that we call "The ass of the world" in german. And the smaller the villages get, the more stupid the people. Be it conservative-stupid, or nazi-stupid or just stupid-stupid.. I dislike them all alike
I dont mean to offend any scandinavian, Im just saying.. it may be great for metal and photos, but I wouldnt wanna go there and do a social study or something.

/daily rant

Ok.... I live in Sweden so ask me anything. Do you have any idea of what part of Sweden you want to visit? I guess Gothenburg :)

OK... Here's the deal. If you are going to Gothenburg there are some things you might want to do. You might want to go the Hardrock bar and have the Mustache beer (you know the band?), or everybody who has been to Gothenburg has visited Lisseberg. It is an amusement park.
If you go to Stockholm you will probably go to the Wasa museum and see that gigantic boat.

That’s the obvious tourist attractions, BUT if you want some REAL SWEDISH LIFE you can try a trip in Skåne, a Swedish province. I know some place.

My tips:
If you go to Skåne you’ll have to visit Lund. It is one of the oldest towns in Sweden. In Lund you can 1: eat a delicious ice-cream on Glasskulturen 2: You can go to the Cathedral, in which you will find Sweden’s biggest church organ.
From Lund you can go to Österlen (east of Skåne). There is a little village called Kivik. Every year there is an apple market there, and a man named Helge Lundström (old relative of mine) makes a giant picture of apples, and when I say giant picture of apples I mean that it is 10 meters high and is actually made by apples. In Österlen you can also visit Glimingehus (Gliminge House), an old Swedish castle or go to Smygehuk and eat good mackerel and see Ales Stenar (Ale’s Stones). That is an old monument from the middle age.

I hope I was some help. Ask more if you want to..

Tritonus said:
Ok.... I live in Sweden so ask me anything. Do you have any idea of what part of Sweden you want to visit? I guess Gothenburg :)

OK... Here's the deal. If you are going to Gothenburg there are some things you might want to do. You might want to go the Hardrock bar and have the Mustache beer (you know the band?), or everybody who has been to Gothenburg has visited Lisseberg. It is an amusement park.
If you go to Stockholm you will probably go to the Wasa museum and see that gigantic boat.

That’s the obvious tourist attractions, BUT if you want some REAL SWEDISH LIFE you can try a trip in Skåne, a Swedish province. I know some place.

My tips:
If you go to Skåne you’ll have to visit Lund. It is one of the oldest towns in Sweden. In Lund you can 1: eat a delicious ice-cream on Glasskulturen 2: You can go to the Cathedral, in which you will find Sweden’s biggest church organ.
From Lund you can go to Österlen (east of Skåne). There is a little village called Kivik. Every year there is an apple market there, and a man named Helge Lundström (old relative of mine) makes a giant picture of apples, and when I say giant picture of apples I mean that it is 10 meters high and is actually made by apples. In Österlen you can also visit Glimingehus (Gliminge House), an old Swedish castle or go to Smygehuk and eat good mackerel and see Ales Stenar (Ale’s Stones). That is an old monument from the middle age.

I hope I was some help. Ask more if you want to..

Yup, I'll add this ti my trip to Europe faq or wahtever.

I read a nice article about Götland. I think it should be a very nice place to visit.

I don't believe that a country can have "nothing special"... every place has something to show. If I do someday, I won't visit Sweden especially for heavy metal hahaha !

Kathleen23 said:
I read a nice article about Götland. I think it should be a very nice place to visit.

hahahha!!! Do you mean Gottland or Götaland? It is two completely
different things.

Tritonus said:
hahahha!!! Do you mean Gottland or Götaland? It is two completely
different things.

hmmmm the island...
It was written Götland in the article hehehe think it was kind of french interpration of the word (like Gothenburg for Göteborg)...

Hahahha... Ok! Gottland then. I've never been there, but I guess you would like to go to the middle-age-week? It's crowded.

Tritonus said:
Hahahha... Ok! Gottland then. I've never been there, but I guess you would like to go to the middle-age-week? It's crowded.

Yeah they were talking about that middle-age thing...
Guess I would like it but I wouldn't plan my trip on that week especially.

Hehe, thank you Talesien, know pretty good what you mean, although I'm not from such a small village. But let's talk bout something else than these -hm what were they called- "no go areas"...
So Tritonus, thanks for interesting answers! Perhaps you can also tell me if its really senseful to travel by train or such public transports. Let's call it just a spontain idea of me, because I used to know it in this way. But is it really as I believe, or is it at Sweden because of its little population in some areas more or less a stupid idea? For sure not every small town is bound to a railway. I also read bout some bus lines, is that an useful alternative way to travel?
Hm yeah, there was sth else I wanted to ask at the begin of my reply...well, forgotten...will add it in the next reply!*g*

No, trains in sweden are useless. I only travel by train when I go far. Buy a onemounth busscard or something and travel as much as you want t, but then you can only be in one province..On that busscard that is. Train can be good between let's say Lund and Malmö. Two cities with a population over 100 000, but if you want to go to small places, which is recommended. I say bus. Where I live we are 6000 people and we do NOT have a railway. If you buy a busscard though, you can go both by train and buss. Do that

Sweden is the crappiest country I've ever been to when it comes to public
transport, at least if you wanna go to smaller places, you may have one buss
a day to such places.

@Taliesin
I don't know what makes you think the country with one of the best public
educations systems in europe is somehow inbreeding "nazi-stupid" or "stupid
stupid" people. Are you sure you're talking about Sweden?
The people here are maybe some of the most open in Scandinavia.

Have you ever even been to Sweden?

How about taking a look at YOUR country, which would fit that description
much better (assuming you live in germany that is).
Just cos your country is full of overcrowded cities with polution thru the roof,
filling the world with uneducated, non-english speaking, morons is no reason
to bash Sweden.

See what I did there?

Well, maybe it's because in Germany, everyone with a grain of sense goes to live in the bigger cities. From personal experience I can say that the more you wander off into the landlier parts, the more annoying and backwards the people get. And no, it's got nothing to do with germans being inherantly nazi :rolleyes:
Im sorry if I offended you, when actually, I was rather insulting my own country and assuming it was true everywhere

Why does it make you smarter if you live in a bigger city?
We have a saying in finland "Joukossa tyhmyys tiivistyy", it means something like
"stupidity breeds in masses".

I moved from a bigger city in Finland to a small village in Sweden and to be
honest, I can't stand the cities anymore, too many morons all over the place.
At least here it's easy to avoid the morons.

Besides, there is no city in the world that can beat this village in environment
and scenery and since you can order anything online, even having less stores
and whatnot is not a problem.

Oh and btw, this place is about 10 times cheaper to live than a big city.
So, what is so smart about moving to a big city again?
Then again, if you love crowds of people, polution and paying more for living
in that, move to a city.

It is true here. The smaller the villages, the bigger chance of meeting a total idiot, or have your skull cracked at a party, or both, one after the other, usually.

However, I understand Edenspring. I love Norwegian bands and one day I would like to visit Bergen and Trondheim, and maybe Oslo, because the scene is flourishing there, especially in the first two.

Here I don't think it is like that. If you go in smaller villages in the province of Quebec, far from Montreal or Quebec city, I think people will be even nicer than in big towns, where people just don't really care about each other. But there is always exception of course. I think people in Montreal can be really nice too, even if there is 2 millions of people...

Yes, that should be said too, thats the other side of the coin. People are usually a lot friendlier in the countryside, but also a lot more prejudiced and stupid Im afraid.

@ edenspring, marduk and everyone going to a country only because s/he loves a handful of bands coming from that country:
what do you expect from such a trip?

Some people dont have much of a choice really, some jobs you only find in big cities, or in very few smaller cities. Of course, in informatics, with a little luck you can work at home and be completely independent from such things, but in engineering for example, you'll always have to work where they chose to build the factory, and for many jobs it's the same. Also, it's usually the more qualified jobs you find in the cities, so without wanting to sound like an asshole or something, in the end it's the more intelligent or more ambitious who move away.
Again, I never meant to badmouth Sweden and I do love the countryside. Well, at least it made for an interesting debate :)