Travelling to Sweden

Taliesin said:
And the smaller the villages get, the more stupid the people. Be it conservative-stupid, or nazi-stupid or just stupid-stupid..
the more north of the north you go, the more reserved and "cold" people get.
so you maybe mean this by "conservatively-stupid"?
for most central europeans it's hard to distinguish this certain difference between distance out of pure politeness and distance out of dislike. (at least this is my experience)

it may be great for metal and photos, but I wouldnt wanna go there and do a social study or something.

/daily rant
i'd sign this any time.

Taliesin said:
so without wanting to sound like an asshole or something, in the end it's the more intelligent or more ambitious who move away.
from what i learned from natives is that it's a social factor why people - especially from the really northernmost parts - don't move elsewhere.
they go studying to a city and (rather sooner than later) return home because these social bonds (which is not only family) are too strong.

It's kinda hard to explain, but some people are either too stupid or never learned to accept new things into their world. It's like anything new confuses them, so they just ignore it and cling to the concepts they're used to, so you can still see the concepts and explanations they figured out when they were pretty young. It's the kind of people that will bring a suitcase of preformed phrases into any discussion, because that's all the arguments they have. Of course everyone is prejudiced and everyone kind of brings preformed arguments into discussions, because no one begins at 0 in a discussion, but there are those who thought their arguments through, as much as you may disagree, and there are those who clearly didnt.
I dont know how else to describe it, but it's those painfully ordinary, characterless people that make me wanna bang my head against the wall. In the village my parents moved into, there are lots of those people, even though it's only 10km from a 200k city. It makes you despair on humanity sometimes ;)

opacity said:
@ edenspring, marduk and everyone going to a country only because s/he loves a handful of bands coming from that country:
what do you expect from such a trip?

Im not going, I said I would like to. What would I expect? Seeing new places, new people, and maybe meeting some members of the bands, if they happen to cross my path. And above all, attending some good gigs of these bands, because Ive never seen any of them live, and they will hardly play here. Seeing Madder Mortem, Manes, Atrox, or Enslaved live would be a bliss!

Does Sweden have 200k cities? ;)

No of course Im talking about Germany. And Id love to visit Sweden one day, or return to Finland once more. Until then I'll keep throwing in those posts to undermine the idealisation of Scandinavia ;)

opacity said:
@ edenspring, marduk and everyone going to a country only because s/he loves a handful of bands coming from that country:
what do you expect from such a trip?

It's not because I love swedish bands that I want to visit Sweden... I want to visit other countries also. Bands are not my motivation :) I guess I would be disappointed hehehe ! I don't like black metal and I would loooove to see Norway :D I think every place in the worls is worth the trip ! I don't think it's bad to want to visit Scandinavia, it is because we are on a swedish band forum that you say so.....
So to answer your question, I don't expect my trip to Sweden (or Finland, or Norway, etc) to be a metal trip hehe! Just exploration and learning from other cultures ! I want to see Italy too! And USA, why not ? It's not that far from me and I've only been to NYC 2 times !... I would love to visit other parts of my own country, Canada is so laaaaaaarge! (Like Victoria, BC for example, I would love to go there)... Sky is the limit :D

Oh! And I also think that listening to bands from around the world opens your mind to other cultures and gives a kind of motivation on seeing other places... it is different and I think it is amazing! Just by being in this forum, I get to talk with Swedish people, a Costa Rican, an Italian, americans, some people in UK,... isn't that great ?
I am getting far from the topic now, sorry for that :)

Taliesin said:

No of course Im talking about Germany. And Id love to visit Sweden one day, or return to Finland once more. Until then I'll keep throwing in those posts to undermine the idealisation of Scandinavia ;)
yeah i mean it's not like by talking about shit you don't know anything about you're walking on really fucking thin ice or coming across as a total fucking idiot to anyone who actually LIVES in sweden or anything

oh wait thats exactly how it is sorry

Taliesin said:

You do realize that Stockholm is a city with about 1.2 million people, right?
I mean, sweden only has ~10 million people or so, so it's has to be a useless
spec of dust, right?

Tritonus said:
everybody who has been to Gothenburg has visited Lisseberg. It is an amusement park.
I visited it and it was closed. :(

My tip, if you go near Gothenburg, would be to visit the small islands on the west coast, they can be quite a view. I remember visiting Marstrand and its fortress, it's one of the places that have been engraved in my memory.

Also, in Gothenburg there's a park with a natural history museum.
And an extremely ugly statue of Poseidon, i would advise you to avoid that at all costs.. :saint:

Hehe, thanks Siren!
Seems that the thread goes in some parts a way I didn't expect when I was asking just few things about Sweden. Well, I'm a bit irritated, well but answering to the posts that fit to my question is enough I think.

1. Public transports: Sad to hear that trains are not really a good way to travel. Well but I already expected sth like this, and busses will do their job too. What about this regions in sweden your talked about, for that I can buy tickets for a month or sth? Lets say I travel by train between gothenburg, malmö, stockholm or lund for example. How many areas/regions would I cross in that case? Let's keep the north left away, that would be just a bonus trip if theres enough money and time left.

2.Expectations: One of you asked, why I like to visit this country, and if it's mainly connected to the music. Hehe, well when I read my first post you could think that way, but my purpose was to start this thread with the music argument. Isn't it a band forum where we read and write?*g*
Well, but I've to correct this. A real main reason is, that I'm a guy that doesnt love this pure heat, so it's for sure a better idea to travel to the north than to the south in summer isnt it that easy?:) Another reason for visiting especially sweden is, that it's long ago since I was there and freshing up my memory about these areas in the north would be a pleasure for me. At the age of 10 or 12 or younger you see country with other eyes.

marduk1507 said:
Im not going, I said I would like to. What would I expect? Seeing new places, new people, and maybe meeting some members of the bands, if they happen to cross my path.
and then? what would be so extraordinary about that? if you go to a gig of theirs (supposed they're plaing in your town) you are meeting them too.
or would you stalk them in their hometown, because it's them, your heroes? :)

And above all, attending some good gigs of these bands, because Ive never seen any of them live, and they will hardly play here.
sounds reasonable enough :kickass:

Edenspring said:
Another reason for visiting especially sweden is, that it's long ago since I was there and freshing up my memory about these areas in the north would be a pleasure for me. At the age of 10 or 12 or younger you see country with other eyes.
that's for sure, and from this point of view it makes more sense too :)

Taliesin said:
Until then I'll keep throwing in those posts to undermine the idealisation of Scandinavia ;)
haha :D I'm in
there are far more important things than music and landscape that nordic countries deserve to be highly respected for.

this marks the end of my participation on this topic :)

Edenspring said:
Seems that the thread goes in some parts a way I didn't expect when I was asking just few things about Sweden. Well, I'm a bit irritated, well but answering to the posts that fit to my question is enough I think.

Don´t worry about that meandering of debate, happens here all the time ;)

Maybe the country you live in has a Swedish tourism office, and they could help you with the busticket-planning?

And I think it´s not so bad with the bus-traffic in Sweden. A reason why there might be few buses a day in remote areas might simply be, that the region is so sparsely populated. I guess if you plan ahead you´ll get far. Probably it´s best to take a map and first decide in general which cities or towns the travel should cover?