Travelling to Sweden

fireangel said:
Don´t worry about that meandering of debate, happens here all the time ;)

Maybe the country you live in has a Swedish tourism office, and they could help you with the busticket-planning?

And I think it´s not so bad with the bus-traffic in Sweden. A reason why there might be few buses a day in remote areas might simply be, that the region is so sparsely populated. I guess if you plan ahead you´ll get far. Probably it´s best to take a map and first decide in general which cities or towns the travel should cover?

True true, 'tis always better to decide where to go first :) . Are the bus in Sweden nice hehe?

PS: Anybody care to post in "My trip to Europe thread"? Or did I piss everyone off? :cry:

@Trito
That be a secret, it's far in the north tho and in the middle of a forest.

@Lil
Busses are ok in sweden and tend to be on time too, unless you wanna get
home to sleep after 12 hours of traveling, then they always get delayed ;)

I too want to one day travel to Sweden its a bit of a dream 50 percent connected to music, only problem is reading here has given me second thoughts!

What about the music scene?
Interesting Mythological places etc?

opacity said:
and then? what would be so extraordinary about that? if you go to a gig of theirs (supposed they're plaing in your town) you are meeting them too.

opacity said:
there are far more important things than music and landscape that nordic countries deserve to be highly respected for.

and you keep travelling to Finland for concerts because...?

(I read you did the hiking trips, so I´m not talking about them)

Salamurhaaja said:
@Trito
That be a secret, it's far in the north tho and in the middle of a forest.

But a place like that leaves no options. Far away from the bigger cities. The ultimate must be to live in small village with a direct busline to a city..

uy a onemounth busscard or something and travel as much as you want t, but then you can only be in one province..On that busscard that is.

Tritonus, can u tell me a bit more about these provinces? How large are they or sth. else?!
My main points at sweden will be the triangle Malmö-Gothenburg-Stockholm.
And from these bigger cities I would try to reach some less populated areas...that's the plan. It would be also awsome if I could reach some lakes where I can camp for one or two days. A bit more away from civilization. But reaching them might hardly to manage without a car. :(

Salamurhaaja said:
@Lil
Busses are ok in sweden and tend to be on time too, unless you wanna get
home to sleep after 12 hours of traveling, then they always get delayed ;)

:lol: I don't get it hehe... .

Where's Malmö and what interesting is there?

Tritonus said:
But a place like that leaves no options. Far away from the bigger cities. The ultimate must be to live in small village with a direct busline to a city..

Funny enough, you live in such a place in Finland and you tend to get decent
bus/train service tho.
I live in a place which is 150km from the nearest big town and even tho we
have a train station and all here, it's not in use due to not enough customers
or some such moronicity. In Finland, if a place has a train station, the train
will stop there, be there customers or not.
Seems like Swedish government is cheapskating in the wrong place or maybe
the trains are not under government funding, which might explain it, I don't
know, all I know is you can't escape this place very easily.

@Lil
Malmö is on the coast, near Denmark and the only interesting thing about it I
can think of, is the big ass castle they have from some wartime era and some
other old buildings, but those you have anywhere in sweden. The fact that
you can escape to Denmark very easy via the bridge is by far the best part.

opacity said:
and then? what would be so extraordinary about that? if you go to a gig of theirs (supposed they're plaing in your town) you are meeting them too.
or would you stalk them in their hometown, because it's them, your heroes? :)

sounds reasonable enough :kickass:

This was funny. How you divided my post in two parts, first of which you find unreasonable, and the second reasonable. I think they fit together very well. I said "meet", not stalk - Ive never been to Norway, and I have other reasons besides music to visit this country. BUT, if Im there and one of those guys or girls just happens to be in the same bar as me, I certainly would talk to them. You got the part about gigs, so I think thats all from me.

fireangel said:
and you keep travelling to Finland for concerts because...?

(I read you did the hiking trips, so I´m not talking about them)

... i have joined (and left, and joined) a zine (thus festival-visits make sense).

... what's wrong with my hiking trips? :err:

don't play silly games with allusions, please, i've grown out of the age where i find myself as "irrational fangirl" of something :zzz:
[if you're trying to use random remarks of the sort "damn, i wish i was there *cry* " against my posting now, I'm seriously suggesting to think twice and perhaps consider the factor of age too. that at least should help if all else fails :rolleyes: ]

... there are matter-of-fact reasons why europe is of interest for me. it happened that finland caught my attention first. other countries will follow.

if i missed your point/question totally, then it's because you don't ask clear questions.

opacity said:
... i have joined (and left, and joined) a zine (thus festival-visits make sense).

... what's wrong with my hiking trips? :err:

Nothing is wrong with the hiking trips. I meant to say I understand why you would travel to Finland for hiking and nature. But I was wondering why you were pointing out so much that people can meet their favourite bands at home, too, if they happen to come on tour and that there is so much more to Finland / Scandinavia than metal etc, but then going to Finland for Tuska or other concerts yourself.
It seemed that you didn´t like other people just wanting to visit a country for its music scene or concerts, but doing this kind of travel yourself, too. And your post no. 37 in this thread, which seemed agreeing and disagreeing to something at the same time, because you cannot know which of Marduk´s favourite bands would play in his country, and which he can only see if he travels.

don't play silly games with allusions, please

ok, I maybe should have written the above sentence right away, but I thought there were obvious contradictions in your statements, or at least that they were not working well together in the way I understood them.

i've grown out of the age where i find myself as "irrational fangirl" of something :zzz:
[if you're trying to use random remarks of the sort "damn, i wish i was there *cry* " against my posting now, I'm seriously suggesting to think twice and perhaps consider the factor of age too. that at least should help if all else fails :rolleyes: ]

Didn´t intend that at all.

... there are matter-of-fact reasons why europe is of interest for me. it happened that finland caught my attention first. other countries will follow.

I mentioned Finland for my question simply because you were there, I don´t know about your other plans or interests. Had it been Sweden, I had chosen the other country.

if i missed your point/question totally, then it's because you don't ask clear questions.

I´ll dissect it more detailed next time :D :)

@tri: i'm not looking for a fight there, but the telephone was invented by an Italian. :)

last year, when i visited stockholm, i found the recommendations from um users very good. for example, they all directed me to the vasa museum, which was hugely good. also, the army museum is interesting. i know this is not what was asked in this thread, but if you're going to stockholm i think you should check these places out.

First of all... HI THERE!!!!!! unfortunately i'm not here so often (so far) like i used to do some time ago.... still got no pc at home.... :rolleyes:
anyway... oh Tritonus your tips were sssssssssssso useful to me too!!! thanx alot!!! me too I'm going to sweden in august and yes i'd like to see "real swedish life" like you said!!! :cool: if you dont mind i'd like to ask you something more cos your tips are so precious and unusual: i mean, no one said that in the travel guides.... ;)
@Edenspring: I was in stockholm 2 years ago so if you are going there maybe i can give you some tips from the tourist point of view.... i'll tell you at first that i was there just for a couple of days but it was one of the best trips i've ever done, as i said in a specific topic i started last year or so... stockholm is really a "magic" town and yeeeeeeees you MUST see the wasa museum!!! :)
@Taliesin: i dont wanna start a fight nor a flame, i dont really care but i think that there was NO USE in your first reply to edenspring... I mean, what's wrong in visiting a country just inspired by a band? and OMG OMG come on!!!! saying that people living in a small village is nazi or whatever or so... come on... its really a shame.... :erk:

I have no valid input for the trip to Sweden, save that I would like to take on someday, too. Perhaps I'll go on a tour of Europe with Shelly sometime after she's out of grad school.

However, to all who advocate small towns over big cities, come live in NYC for a year. Then try living anywhere else ever again.

~kov.

Kovenant84 said:
However, to all who advocate small towns over big cities, come live in NYC for a year. Then try living anywhere else ever again.

~kov.
This is a tad offtopic, but...
I'm not sure what you meant by this, but it interests me. What is it about New York that has ensnared you?

I'm one of those people who would want to travel to sweden because the country is almost sacred in my mind. I just like the history and the cold... aswell as the metal. I'd say the sights would also attract me, but sweden looks a bit doomy from what I've seen... I have many many beautiful sights in my own country.

I'd like to head over there for much the same reason as you, and also because I love travelling.

But to briefly answer your question about NYC, part of it is the legend, part is the experience, and part is the fact that it's always so alive. Legend: It's really something when you can be anywhere in a 500 mile radius and say, "Hey, I'm going to the city at such-and-such a time/day" and have people know that you mean New York... I've just outside of Boston and said that, and people still know that I mean NYC and not Boston itself.

I've lived in NYC for the past four years - the first was in a dorm, the second in my own studio, and the third and fourth in a 2br with a friend of mine. All four years were spent in the East Village, which is like a student's dream. Nothing opens before 11am-noon, and nothing closes till at least 1-2am. Tells you alot about their sleep schedule. But that time frame varies depending on where you are in Manhattan, and so the old saying of the City that Never Sleeps, is really quite true - at any time, I can go out and get a slice of pizza, be it 5pm or 5am. And though it's truly not that large, I guess, there is a vastness that can only be experienced. It's like a country unto itself.

That, and the subways actually run all the time. (WTF Boston?)

~kov.