Treating ride tracks

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I'm curious as to how you guys treat ride tracks. Both in terms of mic'ing ride and how you deal with the spill afterwards during mixing. Where are you favourite places to position the mic, and what do you do in mixing to give the ride that seperation from the OH tracks?

I usually mic up the ride with a "pencil" condensor with a pretty good SPL handling, like our Josephson C12 matched pair. I typically aim it away from the kit near the bell/the area where the stick hits for metal stuff, to get a real nice ping out of it, and for rock/softer things I'll mic it a little further out towards the edge.

Typically I like to isolate the ride as much as possible using gates and compressors after the fact, and a C4 helps alot if there is just an ocean of bleed from the other cymbals/drums. The high-pass usually takes care of the drums, but that also makes the other oh's come out a tad more and so that's where very careful gating and C4 usage comes into play. This is all going on with the situation where there's rediculous bleed. Usually I end up with barely any bleed and can gate around -34dB and it's done. You don't really ever want to get rid of all the bleed, just the obnoxious portion. :)

~006

Hey andy have you started micing from underneath every cymbal now, or just the ride?
You were talking about this months ago on the forum, you said you talked to Colin Richardson (I think) about this and he introduced you to this new thing.
The only bad thing, I think, is that you have to mic every cymbal this way.

i used to mic my ride from underneath
but generally i got too much bleed from my left kick (i have my ride on my left) as i was using a cheap dynamic mic
so i just ended up abandoning it