Treble Processing For Direct Recorded Guitars

shred101

Nov 26, 2009
If you record guitars/bass direct then roughly where do you want to be setting your LPF to remove the highs that you wouldnt get from a mic/cab track?
I've got the LPF on my input patch for guitar set at 8.00 Khz at the moment and the HPF at 95 Hz. We're generally recording guitars in B/C/D/Dropped C/Dropped B. I also record through a Valve preamp to warm it up marginally and because the stock preamps on my desk are notoriously bog standard.

:OMG:

Nah not reamping. Direct through POD 2.00 mostly at the minute because im sans studio and recording at home for now.

As mentioned, don't do aything to the DI's. You can always cut later after they've been reamped but you can't put something back that is gone. After they've been re-amped, general ranges are:

HPF - 60Hz-150Hz (Leads are usually high passed even higher, up to 250Hz, sometimes even 300Hz, it depends)

LPF - 11KHz - 13KHz

There is no exact number but those ranges are what I generally see people using. You'll have to adjust it to taste depending on your particular guitar tracks. My guitars usually get HP around 100Hz and LP around 12KHz, but that's me.

Generally you'll want to scoop in the 250-400Hz area to get rid of the mud. 3KHz-7KHz is the harsh area, don't be surprised if you need to do some dips in there. Then again, you may find you need to do a boost there. These are just rough guides.

There's alot of posts on guitar eq'ing here, more or less taught me everything I know. Do a little searching and you'll find plenty of info. Good luck.

Anything that emulates an amp in any way is the same as reamping through a real amp. You shouldn't really EQ the DI tracks unless there is something inherently wrong with the tracks in the first place.

why would you do that to the di? lol that would just fuck everything up. eq after your plugin/amp/reamp/whatever.

Are you talking about having JUST the amp's track? Without the cab? Sounds like distorted fizzy mess?

In that case, you're gonna need an impulse on the end, not EQ, to fix it. Altho of course you can use EQ after to mould the tone. Look up impulses.

If you're talking about a DI track (sounds like a clean guitar), you need an amp sim, then an impulse, assuming you're doing software.

Sometimes I like to boost the mids with my DI tracks, like adding an EQ before the amp sim I mean. It helps me get a djent style sound :D

I personally don't see anything wrong with EQing your DI track before it hits the amp sim/impulse. I mean, I would never do anything super drastic but essentially It's the same as EQing anything on the way in - whether it be drums, vocals, etc. If there's something nasty coming through your distorted guitar track, why not try to get rid of it before hand?

Obviously I would find the problem area after hearing it through the sim and then move the EQ insert further back in the signal chain so that it never gets boosted and distorted in the first place. Just my 2 cents, def feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though. There could be a factual reason as to why it's incorrect or unecessary.

So confused.
Do you mean you're recording the guitars directly via the POD, or recording DI tracks?
There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread about this, so best to just clear it up.
If you're using the POD 2.0 directly with the amp models with no DI track, you might find you'll need a fair bit of work to get it to sound good, because the POD 2.0 is some seriously outdated modeling technology.
I tend to high pass at 100-120Hz and I don't low pass any lower than 10KHz.
High passing at 8Khz would be removing too much air from the tone really.
Usually in a good guitar tone there isn't much happening around 7KHz and above, but what little there is giving the impression of air which is an important factor in getting a good tone.

I like to mess with DI tracks myself. It's just like using an eq before the amp. A carefully done mid boost can really bring out some crunch from the amp and i tried using some surgical to alter the sound of the pick attack a week or so back, had some ok results