circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Trephine – Trephine
Public Guilt – PG003 – May 31st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

small.jpg

Maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s been a great year for metal thus far. Even when you slice away everything but the finest of instrumental releases such as Pelican’s March into the Sea EP and Red Sparowes’s At the Soundless Dawn, it’s still been a riveting five months. The latest entry into the instrumental subgenre is the unconquerable Trephine (a.k.a. TrephineMD), who just recently witnessed Trephine drop to unsuspecting-yet-astonished audiences. Truly, Trephine’s musical abilities, songwriting proficiency, and catchiness will allow them to besmirch the collection of even the most stingy of metalheads.

Whereas fellow cohorts like Dysrhythmia and Behold…the Arctopus are flimsy and spastic (though I like both), Trephine are grungy and seemingly possess inviting characteristics. Honestly, however, “Goes to Hell, Mr. Wiggles (Part One)” begins slowly, which means that if your interest is going to wane anywhere, it’ll be upon hearing the first two minutes of the opener. But, there’s pure joy to be found after tolerating the low-key introduction. The riff-heavy “Age of Reptiles” is where the band really shine, and Dave Batovsky (auxiliary percussionist) adds subtle texturing to a group that’s already damn good. The quirkiness doesn’t end there, as “Metal Detector” ups the ante with its attractive, head-bobbing riff. Vocals would essentially be welcome in “Resident Advisor,” which is the most standard tune on the release. Again, there’s enrapturing little leads to be found during the song’s lucid moments. “Adrenochrome” is definitely methodical, but “Goes to Hell, Mr. Wiggles (Part Two)” is vastly different than the opening incarnation.

At forty minutes, Trephine is a good length for what it is. The quartet didn’t get too ambitious with this outing, and their subsequent success should only bolster future output. I have no complaints. If you like music at all, dig up Trephine and rediscover what’s so enchanting about this audible form of art.

8.5/10

Official Trephine Website
Official Public Guilt Website

I really got a kick out of this one. I was prepared NOT to like it, but found myself getting into virtually every track. These guys know how to sound "out there" while still being catchy and writing good songs...a lost art in these days of pretentious instrumental chaos masquerading as music.