TRIALS - new mix online!

It sounds badass man !

The guitars sound almost perfect to me. I love this kind of sound (and this is somehow what i'm after with my ENGL stack) :tight as fuck, edgy, agressive, but clear and definitely not overgained. It reminds me a little bit of the guitar sound on the last Unearth album, except that yours sound way better and bigger... :)

The drum sound reminds of some drum sounds on some good recent Tue Madsen productions.

The rest (overall production, song, bass, singing (which reminds me a lot of Phil Anselmo by the way) is also great.

Maybe the bass is too low (volume wise).

Definitely one of the best stuff i've heard on this forum.

sounds good - but OH in some parts sound as overcompressed - as hi-hat does...

yeah - guitars sounds really good

Hi, I think this is my first post, although I've been reading this forum for a while. I recorded the drums & vocals and mixed the song. Mark (mts1979) recorded the guitars and bass (and played them all and sang the vocals). This band is awesome. There are more songs on the way and they all kill.

Thanks for all your comments--this isn't a final mix so they will help!

--wolffy

Hi, I think this is my first post, although I've been reading this forum for a while. I recorded the drums & vocals and mixed the song. Mark (mts1979) recorded the guitars and bass (and played them all and sang the vocals). This band is awesome. There are more songs on the way and they all kill.

Thanks for all your comments--this isn't a final mix so they will help!

--wolffy

1) Awesome job man !

2) Give us some details about the way you've done it ! :) (setup, ...)

Thanks!

Recorded and mixed in PT. Pretty much everything but vocals recorded with Mark's digimax in his practice space. The total cost of the mikes used to record the drums was probably under $1000. Vocals are SM7 into chameleon labs 7602 into distressor. My main plugins in mixing are waves ssl, sony oxford, and massey. EQ here, compression there...I dunno. Mark would know the specifics on the guitar recording.

Djabthrash, guitar recording went kinda like this:

Guitar: Gibson Explorer of some kind
Pickups: EMG-81 in bridge
Strings: D'addario 13-56 (this is important!)

Guitars are quad-tracked. Two tracks L-R were like this:
Peavey 5150 (block letter)
Green channel
Pregain- 5.5
Low- 4.75
Mid- 3
Hi - 5
Post - 4
Resonance - 8
Presence - 6
Going through an Ibanez tubescreamer with everything set at 12:00.

Then there were two more tracks done with a Mesa Triple Rec (3 channel) that some dude left lying around. Those settings:
Master- 10 o'clock
Presence- 11 o'clock
Bass - 11 oclock
Mid - 10:30
Treble - 10:30
Gain - 11 oclock

(kinda like spinal tap, everything goes to 11)
And then all that was going through the same Tubescreamer again. Settings were slightly different, I don't have them handy right now.

The cab was a stock Marshall 1960A. One SM57 on the lower right speaker, slightly off-axis. For all 4 tracks.

The settings for the leads and other meedly-meedly parts were slightly different, I didn't write them down but they're not that special. Everything else (EQ, compression, panning) was left in Wolffy's capable hands.

Sorry to be long-winded. Hope this helps, and thanks everyone for the comments!!

Djabthrash, guitar recording went kinda like this:

Guitar: Gibson Explorer of some kind
Pickups: EMG-81 in bridge
Strings: D'addario 13-56 (this is important!)

The cab was a stock Marshall 1960A. One SM57 on the lower right speaker, slightly off-axis. For all 4 tracks.

What tuning do you use ? standard B ?

And then what was the speaker you miked ? Vintage 30 ?

Anyway i think most of this huge guitar sound is due to your tight as fuck playing :)

Tuning is B flat standard. Just to make things difficult.

The speaker I mic'd is just a stock 75-watt Celestion I believe.

Seriously, thanks for the compliments, man. I personally wish I'd played the stuff a little tighter -- I hear little things in there now that bother me. These songs were actually the first time I've ever quad-tracked, so it was kinda frustrating.

It's a little LOUD!!!

It sounds great but damn!
The guitars are to the point of audibly bad distortion/clipping.
Other than that, it kicks all kind of ass.