Initial Mix on a Ambient Rock/Metal Song, need some fresh ears!

guitarplaya18

Dec 25, 2009
Hey, just did an initial mix on this song that I'm still somewhat editing and I can already hear some things I need to fix. For the most part it sounds good to me, just needing some fresh ears and some opinions on anything about the mix/song. Thanks

btw, I know the song is 6 minutes, but that is because I forgot that I had some extra stuff that I moved over while editing, the actual song only goes to about 3:20

Main things I noticed that need fixing:
1. drums during the intro need level adjusting
2. When all the additional layers come in at 3:04, it is interfering with the other instruments.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7077365/Trials Drums v25.mp3

EDIT: Mix without l2 on the master
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7077365/Trials Drums v255.mp3

oh and for a good laugh, here is this version of the song I did a year ago haha...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7077365/Trials Master 8.mp3

Also, I will be providing DI's and the drums seeing as ubersyntax wants to take a shot at mixing this, so others will be welcome to do so as well! I'll post the link here when I get around to it

Your mix sounds apparently compressed and as if it was midly clipping trouhgout the whole song.

I suggest taking off any compressor, clipper, stereo widening tools and non-linear phase eq on your master bus so we can hear the true mix behind.

The overall tone is quite pleasing and the audio quality sounds promising.

If you post seperate audio tracks of your drums and guitars (not the DI), I'm willing to give this a shot.

If you post that same mix without any plugins on the master bus, I'm willing to take a shot at mastering it.

For anything else, good luck!

Thanks man, I do have L2 on the master with the hi res master setting so it is being pushed pretty hard. I was going for volume and didn't even think to take it off when I posted it. I'll get the actual mix up in a bit. I'll also post the tracks processed if you want to mix it.

Can't wait to get these files. Loving the song. About the mix. The drums sound a little buried. Especially the kick/snare. I think bringing these up would really make the mix shine a little more. The guitar and bass sounds good to me though. They give it a really thick tone, and the kick/snare would help them breathe a little more to me

put the di's and midi up for us to mix dude, id like to have a crack at this ;)

Just what I tought.

Without the L2, the mix is really pleasant, it feels crisp and fresh.

I agree with fuimjb, the drums sound a bit buried at times.

I can still hear clipping tought near the end when everything stops and we can only hear the guitars prep up for another shot at the chorus.

I notice that the guitars have alot of presence, wich sounds fine at relatively low levels, but as soon as I crank the mix, my ears can't take the amount of high-mids.

That's all I can notice right now.

Also in the beginning is there any reason the snare is panned right? Sounds kinda funny to my ears. But if thats what you wanted then go for it.

We have two drummers so I was trying to pan them separate. I think i'm going to change that, does sound a little funny. I'll work on the EQ for the guitars

Hey I thought I'd bump this thread considering I never saw a link posted for the DI's to try mixing this. Still interested in letting us give it a crack? :)

bump. Anyone else interested in mixing this? I don't want to be the only one, and I think he'd be more inclined to post it up if there was enough demand for this.

I think this would be great mixing practice for something non-metal to give our ears a break! :)

Thanks!

I'm amazed I'm the only one that has any interest in doing this.

@Guitarplaya18 - maybe you want to create a new thread and thow it into the main Sneap forum page for mixing practice. I'm sure you'll get more hits for others interested in mixing this than just me by leaving it in the 'Rate my Mix' area! :lol:

C'mon, I need some good shit to work on. hahahahaha hustle hustle! *crack whip* ;)