Ambient hard rock rough mix/master (pod farm, ezdrummer, ozone)

guitarplaya18

Dec 25, 2009
Hey,

just finished mixng and attempting to master a song of mine. I'm not entirely happy with it, but I have been listening to it for way too long. Any of you have some suggestions? I want to make the individual guitar tracks stand out more, they all seem to be blending too much. The kick is way too weak. Not sure what else.

Tell me how you like the mix and how you like the song.

Thanks!:)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7077365/Trials Master 8.mp3

Well your first problem is ez drummer. But if that's whatchagot that's whatchagot.
Other than that I dig it. It doesn't sound totally studio finished and polished, but for some reason it just feels like it really fits to me. I dunno why. And I think the guitars are sitting in the mix perfectly.
I really dig the song man, it's sweet.

What was your mastering chain looking like for this?

thanks for the reply man. I know what you mean about it not sounding studio polished. To be honest, this is my first real attempt at all this stuff. I mixed with my master chain on....So I am eventually going to remix this. Also, I will be pickin up Superior in a couple days, so the drums should hopefully sound better. But the chain is: Ozone, fruity limiter, eq, gclip.

Like i said, did this before reading here, but it did not come out too bad. Glad you are diggin the song, dont know how to describe that style of music better, haha

I have to agree with Nauru - ezdrummer is your first thing. Superior will do you well, but SPEND A LOT OF TIME WITH IT - so many people use S2 and they just use presets or something, play with it until you get the sound you really want and don't be afraid to ask for help, obviously. The guitars are pretty solid, maybe bring the distorted rhythms up a little bit and throw some bass in there. Other than that, it's pretty solid, I dig how it sounds.

thanks for all the replies everyone. I actually want to turn the gain and volume of the rhythm tracks down a tad in order to bring out the octave riffs a little more.
For the bass, it was just guitar that I pitched shifted. I'm really having trouble getting a driving bass sound. suggestions?

The guitars are pod farm. I used the dual tone feature (SLO100 left, treadplate right) for the rhythm. Cant remember what the other guitar tracks are. I just ran straight into the line 6 gx into the computer. The guitars were heavily EQ'd on each track, then all sent to a bus and heavily EQ'd again. I know if you start with crap tone, you end with crap tone. However, I somehow managed to start with crap and ended up with a polished turd ;)

I'm going to add some more layers to the beginning so that it does not seem to drag on as long.

Thanks again for the replies, glad yall dig the song. I'm going to record some more of this kind of stuff. Let yall know when its up