Triaxis + impulses

Boerboel666

Apr 17, 2010
Hi I have a triaxis on long term loan at my studio and it would be good to get use out of it as a recording tool . After searching for info there seems no definitive opinion as to whether it works well as a preamp straight into soundcard then impulses . I have spent a couple of hours on it and it was enough to suggest it may produce some workable tones . So far my impression is its not the brightest sounding unit and a bit bottom heavy ( obviously this can be tweaked a bit ) when using just the recording output then recabinet . I was wondering if anyone here has put in any time with this unit in this manner and what their results were like ? It came with the Strategy 500 power amp which is a beast ! so going with a cab - mic will be on the cards when my live room is built . Until then I was hoping to utilize it instead of software and a shove in the right direction would be appreciated as well as saving me some time . Thanks :D

I was under the impression no but I could be wrong only had it one day !
If it does have emulation on those outputs then it sounds like no cab I ever heard so I hope not !

Well... if it does have emulation output, that explains why it's not very bright and too bassy.

Don't use the recording outputs and then impulses. Use the regular outputs you'd plug into a real poweramp.

Just read the manual it says ' these outputs faithfully reproduce both lead and rhythm sounds similar to those you are accustomed to hearing from you power amp and speakers ' I guess that means they have emulation ..... and I should read manuals before plugging stuff in . Still , any more guidance with this unit is most welcome .

I hear stories about the Triaxis having a lag when switching channels. This true? And they are basically all the Mark series and Recto in one, correct?

Here's a clip in which I test a rhythm guitar tone for an Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill composer) cover I'm working.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1816216/P.K.Mixes/Pomise_Test_Guitars_Triaxis_Recab.mp3
I used a Gibson Explorer->Triaxis (Output)->Liquid Saffire 56->LeCab with Recabinet Marshall 57 and 421 Impulses->ReaEQ (very light use of it).
There's no bass in that version, just guitars and drums.
Tell me what you think

Cheers!!

Thanks for that , hopefully some other triaxis owners have got some clips too for comparison . I take it you did not use the 'recording' outputs then . Would be interesting to hear some different styles , maybe a tube screamer in the mix ?

I tried them but they pretty much suck. If you're using a computer-based set-up for recording, just use the regular line out into your recording pre/interface and use some IRs/emulation to get the poweramp-cabinet-mic chain happening.

If you can grab a DI of your guitar signal and record that on another channel too then you get more options just in case the Triaxis tone is not working right for the song or you want to simulate double tracked guitars etc.

Yep! Just use the standard output, eg: the same output that would effectively be used to go to effects/ power amp. The recording out is junk. Similar to the mark IV rec out! :D

No ... at least, none that I've ever noticed

Same here. Back when I had mine (why did I ever sell that???) I had no problems when switching channels. And as already stated numerous times, do NOT use the recording outputs. Geesh, I wish there were such things as cabinet impulses back when I had my Triaxis!