Trigger Toms / In Phase

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hi,

Yeah so I've been thinking about toms lately. I got no problem get them sound good and in phase when the drummer is good the problem is when yeah, like in most cases the drummer is average. Listen to a Sneap or Richardson mix like the latest Killswitch album, the toms sounds phenomenal and IN phase.

So how do they do it? Putting down the samples by hand? Recently I've been blending the sampled toms of the session and say superior toms. Then duck the real toms with a sidechain compressor. Sounds good but very time consuming. Would be nice to be able to use the actual take and sample augment it.

Anyone got some insights to share and please link an example.

Cheers!

I'm kinda confused; how is this different from replacing kick/snare? The samples have to be in phase, but augmenting toms rather than replacing entirely is suuuper hard since you've got tuning issues to deal with in a bigger way than with the other two.

Yes I wanted to blend some toms lately but I got tuning issues between strong/soft hits. Toms are my main problem these days!

I'm kinda confused; how is this different from replacing kick/snare? The samples have to be in phase, but augmenting toms rather than replacing entirely is suuuper hard since you've got tuning issues to deal with in a bigger way than with the other two.

well the difference is that its much harder to get it all in phase cause sometimes the hits are really bad so you can't really see where the transient begins and ends. Even if the hits are ok it can be hard to get it to sound in phase, that's atleast my experience.

But i got some insight. Gonna check out Massey DRT.

well the difference is that its much harder to get it all in phase cause sometimes the hits are really bad so you can't really see where the transient begins and ends. Even if the hits are ok it can be hard to get it to sound in phase, that's atleast my experience.

But i got some insight. Gonna check out Massey DRT.

Ahhh yes, that's always an issue with toms. I often look for the transient in OH tracks rather than the tom track itself. Lots of guess/check

Ahhh yes, that's always an issue with toms. I often look for the transient in OH tracks rather than the tom track itself. Lots of guess/check

Cool i usually don't check to much with the OH but gonna try it :) I was just wondering if there is any better way then trial/error version. VERY time consuming.

just record some trigger tracks with it and you can clearly see the transients and trigger from those of course as well.

If the drummer is so bad that you are not able to get decent tom sounds, I bet he sucks on the other drums, too.
In this case I would invest in a better E-kit and track him via Midi.
Safes a lot of trouble and time.