Triggered drums, real cymbals

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
I am facing the recording of a new album for my parody band and we are thinking about recording kicks, snare and toms in a electronic drum (superior 2.0 or slate's) and all hithat, rides, cymbals... real drums.

I've never did it before and I'd like to know if any of you did that before and can give me some advice.
Thank you.

NUEVO CD DEL RENO RENARDO????
^_^

why dont you just program kick, snare and toms
and play real cymbals and hihat "on top" of it?

i dont see any problem doing it like you said.

I did it before and it's so easy. Just mic the cymbals and a couple overheads and you're done.

The hardest thing is the mixing, to sound realistic you gotta keep the velocities as real as you can and not to quantize 100%. Also, you have to create the room tracks with a convolution reverb. Remember to blend your recorded audio/midi sn track with some samples (don't replace it completely and it will sound far more realistic)

looking forward to listen to it

I've never tried it personally, but from what I have read it was just deadening the fuck out of the toms and kick and tuning them to work with the samples. That's how I would attempt it personally.

That or just strait put heavy towels on all the drums and trigger them later.

Either way, the goal should be to get the drums out of the overheads as best you can.

I've never tried it personally, but from what I have read it was just deadening the fuck out of the toms and kick and tuning them to work with the samples. That's how I would attempt it personally.

That or just strait put heavy towels on all the drums and trigger them later.

Either way, the goal should be to get the drums out of the overheads as best you can.

I guess he means to use an e-drum set, correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW if you're using e-drums you should use the ones with nylon (or similar) skins, not the rubber ones (but they also work) for a better isolation, so they don't bleed in the OHs. TD-12 or TD-20 is perfect for this.

I do it all the time. I just record drums like normal and use the audiosnap function in sonar to trigger midi hits. It works great & sounds very realistic because audiosnap is velocity sensitive!

Hipass the OH's around 500-600 to eliminate a lot of OH drum bleed. You'll still hear the snare but it is not a problem. I think you could probably even get the snare out with some sidechaining, but I have not found a way to sidechain in sonar (at least in version 6).

We just started a project and we are recording a Hart Dynamics midi kit using DFHS 2.0 and SSD 3.5 and using real cymbals. We have been very impressed with the sound quality and our drummer seems to be loving it! Not very many people have an adequate room to record acoustic drums and the Hart Dynamics kits are VERY good and realistic feeling. We are using an Shure SM7B to record the hihat and two Karma K10's to record the overheads. I'll post when we are done with the project but so far....very good. I don't see myself recording acoustic drums ever again.