Triggering drums with only 12 inputs

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Ok I'm about to buy some d-drum triggers and was wondering if it would be OK to run like aptrigger on each trigger channel while tracking cause i don't have enough mic pre's to mic all drums and do triggers. And drummers like to hear what they played and i want them to hear toms and stuff good while listening back.

I'm a little concerned about latency with protools cause in low latency mode you can not run plugins and you get a delay in headphones if not using that. But i Think you can mess with something in setup to also help with this, but I was wondering if anyone does anything similar or how they would go about this???

Why would you need to run ApTrigga while tracking? The drummer is going to be able to hear his kit through the headphones (assuming he's tracking to a click) anyways. I wouldn't worry about this really. I play drums and have recorded a few places and the only mic's I've ever wanted to hear were overheads/hats in my phones so that I would automatically hit them less harder since they were louder in my phones.

heres the simple answer.
dont bother/
just drumagog or aptrigga off the mic tracks

There´s a similar question I wanted to ask:
If I want to connect some triggers to my audio-inputs and later put ApTrigga on the tracks, do I have to put pre-amps between interface and triggers?
I never tried it and am going through different triggering-solutions notional, so it would be nice if someone could give me advice on that?

Seb

heres the simple answer.
dont bother/
just drumagog or aptrigga off the mic tracks

See I'm hell bent on getting some triggers cause this last album i recorded for band, the drummer played soft on drums in these tribal parts and there pretty complex and beat the shit out of his cymbals so i can't even remake track hit by hit cause its insane on the toms what he played and cymbals are all in the tom Mic's very loud. So i got drums sounding good natural but when i cut up tom tracks and fade in and out on cuts and stuff the cymbals will jump in volume when toms hits kick in:puke:

Yea when drummer played tribal parts he would hit like on drum real loud and it would be as loud in the floor tom Mic as a soft floor tom hit itself which just makes it freaking impossible with what he played to get it triggered right.

I'm thinking of getting a mixer with direct outs cause i got a digi002 and can have 18 inputs so eventually i will just record triggers and Mic's and use triggers only if needed. But most of my recording is in bands practice spaces right now and there not the best environments to record so i do a lot of triggering and replacing.

You need more space between your cymbals and tom mics then. Put your toms as flat as you can too so there will be more attack If someone hits the cymbals too hard tell them. If the tracks were that bad it sounds like the mics probably weren't set up that great. Space everything out more or hide cymbals from the mics if you think they're gonna be too loud. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and the dude was a terrible drummer like you say. Even if you're a new engineer don't be afraid to stop people and tell them something that would make them sound better/make your life a lot easier. I'd just Drumagog off the mics but that's just me...