triggering/printing sample replaced tracks ITB

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
EDIT: Doh! I probably should have put this in the thread below that JayB started....

I have a problem where I'll create a bus/track which receives a signal from a kick track. The original kick track is replaced with MIDI (SSD) and the SSD sample is what is triggering a one-shot (Death Kick).

My problem is: the death kick is usually triggering oddly as in latency. Slight flamming etc. I've messed with retrigger settings and still seem to get this issue. I've had luck in printing this second trigger track and aligning it with original. But a lot of times I hate printing tracks unless absolutely necessary.

I figured Reaper should auto-detect/correct these types of latency in the first place.

Plugins used on bus/blended one shot kick: JS drumtrig and ReaSamplomatic

Anyone else have a better/easier/faster way of doing this?

Just put the death kick into your ssd player

Hmm I did not know this was possible....something strange happens every time I try to load multiple samples for one drum.

It's the SSD Essential pack.

Yeah, it won't let me just drag and drop samples into the "Samples" list.....Plus, I don't even understand how the Sampler would recognize the difference between kick/snare/tom samples....

Are you using the ssd4 player? View samples then drop in the death kick. It's a one shot so you don't need to add multiple hit/velocity samples plus ssd4 doesn't allow you to do so.

Ahh, I sort of figured it out. I had to add my "Drum Samples" directory to the list. Now I can drag and drop them, but I have to choose to route each sample to its respective channel. So in my case, I couldn't just process the death kick differently inside Reaper if I use this route, I assume?

And thank you, btw! This does seem to clear up the little latency thing but it seems a bit limited in what I can do in post processing.

Yeah, I know that....and this is where another problem arises...... ugh.

Routed a one-shot kick sample just fine, worked perfect. Next, placed a single snare sample into the "Samples" section. This snare sample is going to the correct snare track, except it is triggering every kick hit instead of every snare hit. I don't even......

I just wish there was an easy way to be able to just route a sample out of SSD into a DAW without having to share the 8 mono/8 stereo outputs......

Mind is blown right now and it's probably something really stupid. Kick group is muted, yet somehow the kick is triggering one-shot snare that I added.....

I may just stick with my previous method even though the latency made my brain want to explode. Unless there is another way to route an "external" sample out of SSD to a single track in Reaper that I just don't know about.

Click on your dropped in snare sample. Click the edit instrument tab. There will be a letter and number for the midi code for this sample. Ssd4 defaults to kick which is c36. Click and hold and slide up to d38.

Oh shit!! Thank you dude!! *faceplam*

Now if there was only a way to route these to their own tracks in DAW instead of "sharing" it with Top/Bottom snare.....

There is. Change the output assignment in the mixer

Ok, I sort of got this.

My concern was that - SSD Sampler only allows 8 stereo and 8 mono outs.

Most of these are already used up by the stock drums. I have 3 channels available which will have to do. But I guess, say I wanted to blend a bunch more samples, I'd have to share the outputs from SSD?

And...now, out of nowhere, my (stock)Snare Top and bottom are labeled with a "2" at the end of their name, and snare bottom is the exact same sample as snare top. Aye, this is starting to frustrate me. =/

EDIT: Figured out that I had samples loaded into a second sample loader, causing the "2" at the end of the name?!?!!?!?!

This is just driving me batshit. JUST had this working sort of properly, now random shit is just....not working. Load kick sample, set to st6 out, nothing, no sound from sample, snare works, not kick. Just....insanely frustrated over something that doesn't seem so complicated. Wish I could show video of what is happening right now.....

I route death kick sample to STEREO 6 (only 3 open are stereo 6-8), In REAPER, I have a track recieving the signal from SSD Sampler and I set Audio 6 -> 1/2 instead of 1/2 -> 1/2......assuming this is proper, shit ain't working. Quitting for now, off to practice.

Sounds like you need to read the manual?

Most likely.... :lol:

Doing that now.

Sooo....SSD manual tells me nothing that I didn't already know. Sounds simple - chose an output assignment and use that sample number in your DAW. Only, in Reaper, some of my tracks are telling me that its "Audio 23 -> 1/2".....

Am I absolutely retarded? If my Snare Top is on, say, "13mono" and I want to route another snare sample to another audio track, I'd have to chose something other than "13mono", correct?

I apologize if this is a total newb thing. I always feared routing and I'm finally trying to grasp this so it's not such a pain for me later.

Ok, I've finally worked this out.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on yet. I just went into Reapers i/o section for the tracks that I wanted to route samples to and started assigning numbers.

Say I set my assigned track in SSD to "out 6st", in Reaper, this audio is being received on "11" in the i/o menu. Assuming the stereo tracks are 1/2, 3/4, and so on....I guess this makes sense but I still don't fully understand this.

Still - I see no way to route an infinite number of samples unless you are sharing outputs in SSD.

you dont need an infinite number of samples, now youre doing something else wrong. print and then reprint or commit sample blends in ssd and process together as one on the outside

you dont need an infinite number of samples, now youre doing something else wrong. print and then reprint or commit sample blends in ssd and process together as one on the outside

Well I obviously am not going to use hundreds, let alone infinite samples but you get my point at least? Thanks again for your patience.