Triggering software?

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
Yeah, I know.. calm down..
Slate Trigger is what most people seem to recommend here..

However..
I had been using ApTrigga for awhile..
Then went on to use Drumagog 4.. wasn't that bad, but I didn't like it..
Tried out Drumagog 5.. it's pretty heavy on the CPU and it doesn't seem to trigger properly when you have a few of it running.. also flams aren't handled properly..

I did consider Slate Trigger for awhile, but since I have SSD, I thought: Meh..
I also didn't like the idea of an iLok (for several reasons; one is extra crap that can breakdown)
But since I'm not in love with ApTrigga or Drumagog, I decided to check for a local deal for trigger = 118€ for Trigger EX + Pace iLok 2

Is it worth getting in a couple of months? (Need to buy a cab speaker and a mic first)
I'm pretty sure I've read that Trigger has had some major issues, are they all fixed?
Is there a Trigger 2 coming out soon? With a new iLok?
So I don't waste money in the twilight zone between sale on Trigger and a new version..
Not sure what I'm supposed to do with the iLok 2, since no other software, I use, needs it..

I downloaded the demo for trigger and it blew my mind. I used drumagog 5 since it came out and it's a hassle but I can work with it. Trigger was more accurate and didn't freeze the shit out of my computer if I had 5 or 6 running at the same time.

I downloaded the demo for trigger and it blew my mind. I used drumagog 5 since it came out and it's a hassle but I can work with it. Trigger was more accurate and didn't freeze the shit out of my computer if I had 5 or 6 running at the same time.

Did you get the full version?
Wondering how difficult it is to make your own TCI's..

I have the demo of Trigger. While it seems to work pretty well, it never fully triggers properly. Now I just use SSD and convert the tracks I want to trigger into MIDI and edit them.

Big fan of Trigger here, tracks very well, not too taxing on the cpu.

I also didn't like the idea of an iLok (for several reasons; one is extra crap that can breakdown)
I've never once had an issue with any of my iloks. Treat it well and it'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure I've read that Trigger has had some major issues, are they all fixed?
??? The only issue I'd heard of with Trigger was that it wasn't 100% accurate when generating MIDI, though I think that has been rectified as I'm sure I had it working fine the other week.

Is there a Trigger 2 coming out soon? With a new iLok?

As far as I'm aware there's never been any talk of a second version of Trigger. And why do you assume that if there was then there would be a new ilok released?

Slate moved their new plugins to ilok2 because the original iloks copy protection was cracked, and the same day that Slate plugins appeared on torrent sites their sales dropped significantly. They've got to protect themselves somehow.

Not sure what I'm supposed to do with the iLok 2, since no other software, I use, needs it..
You download the Trigger licence to it and plug the ilok into your computer. Simples!

Personally I don't get how you guys can get by NOT using an ilok? I just moved onto a new mac last week and after spending a day installing all of my plugins I then had to spend another half day messing around with authorization codes and serial numbers for a whole bunch of plugins. Whereas all the ones that use ilok worked instantly with no addition messing around.

Massey DRT, the one plug I wouldn't wanna mix without

Out of curiosity Lasse, how are you using DRT? I use it mainly to print audio clicks that I can use trigger with. Makes it a little easier to edit and control dynamics if you're triggering from something like that.

I've rarely used DRT to actually print the samples though, as I like the idea of being able to audition/ add extra samples at any point with trigger, and I frequently use Slates samples blended in.

so are you using that to help with trigger, or printing your samples with it? I've had issues with DRT not quite triggering in the precise spot, due to bleed and other things. It requires a careful comb through the detection screen, but is very helpful, even if I don't really use it for it's full purpose.

Sorry for the hijack! Get trigger, it's the industry standard now for a reason. AFAIK they fixed the midi issue (or is anyone still having problems?) and I think Reaper has a drums to midi type thing. You could go that route.

As far as I'm aware there's never been any talk of a second version of Trigger. And why do you assume that if there was then there would be a new ilok released?
---
Personally I don't get how you guys can get by NOT using an ilok? I just moved onto a new mac last week and after spending a day installing all of my plugins I then had to spend another half day messing around with authorization codes and serial numbers for a whole bunch of plugins. Whereas all the ones that use ilok worked instantly with no addition messing around.

Thanks for the reply..
I've never had an iLok and I knew you stored licenses on it, but didn't know if different softwares require a new hardware to be purchased..

I'm on a PC, so I use a image software to make a backup of my drive, so I don't have to go through the hassle of installing everything when I want a clean PC (although I still have everything organized).. I'm sure there's software for that on Mac..
I don't have to reauthorize e.g. SSD or other plugins..

Anywho, I guess I could use the iLok 2 for getting some other software..
Just finished reading the manual for Trigger, didn't find anything about the blend options..
I prefer ApTriggas Wet and Dry separatly.. and that it supports drag n' drop of samples..
Drumagog doesn't do either..
And you have to make the TCI's in stand-alone?

Don't know about any other triggering software that do alignment, other than Massey, Trigger and Drumagog..

+1 to this.

I don't get why so many people complain about the iLok. It makes life so much easier...

FWIW though, I'd wait until Slate has another sale, cause he's constantly putting his plugins on sale and you could probably get Trigger Platinum with the iLok for the price you're going to pay for EX right now. If you haven't already, sign up for AudioDeluxe and make sure you're getting their emails. Usually when Slate/Waves/IK/whoever puts their stuff on sale, AudioDeluxe has it even cheaper.

I actually use DSP Trigger and really like it. I hear the best stuff about Slate Trigger though.

FWIW though, I'd wait until Slate has another sale, cause he's constantly putting his plugins on sale and you could probably get Trigger Platinum with the iLok for the price you're going to pay for EX right now. If you haven't already, sign up for AudioDeluxe and make sure you're getting their emails. Usually when Slate/Waves/IK/whoever puts their stuff on sale, AudioDeluxe has it even cheaper.

Yeah, got SSD on sale through Sweetwater.. but I'll check out AudioDeluxe..
Since I'm in Sweden, I have to pay insane amounts for customs and shipping from the US.. :/
So I'll get the iLok here and buy a downloadable copy, if/when I get Trigger..

Massey made the detection algorithm for Trigger so it is very similar internally to DRT iirc

Really? I never heard that. DRT triggers WAY more accurately than Slate's Trigger. It's not even close, especially on lower velocities and ghost notes.

We tried to do this demo with Trigger and even with the highest detail settings it was missing hits like crazy. DRT did it on the default settings, no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Massey DRT is the best. Made my life so much easier. It's a thing of minutes to have a perfect trigger track from snare and kik with DRT - no fiddling around, adjusting thresholds, automating etc. because of missed hits or "flaming" samples (gate feature in massey rules!). I duplicate the original snare track and print samples directly onto the track. Also will pull out a midi track in case I want to use kontakt or another player later if the printed sample doesn't work or needs another sample augmented. It's just a perfect tool with great results and massey support is killer too!