Triggers

fox3763

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2011
Hey Joey, I notice that you moved away from the ddrum triggers (or at least it looks like it) Did you switch to Roland triggers - I saw your truth snare sample picture and it looks like the Roland ones. If so, how long ago did you make the switch. Are you happier with the new ones?

Yea i went through 2 packs of the ddrum triggers and even fixed about 5 of them by hand. My Roland triggers are about a year old and not one has broke yet.

Do you guys notice a better response with velocity response with the roland triggers? Or are they simply just a stronger case. I like the idea of the dual triggers for rimshots.

i use triggers sometimes. my problem is, how do u get the snare out of the damn over heads n room mic, or atleast not have it so damn loud, should i "dampen" the snare b4 tracking? because when i go to sample replace even if at 100% replaced u still here some of the real snare. i listen to joey's stuff n u can hear any real snare anywhere.

i use triggers sometimes. my problem is, how do u get the snare out of the damn over heads n room mic, or atleast not have it so damn loud, should i "dampen" the snare b4 tracking? because when i go to sample replace even if at 100% replaced u still here some of the real snare. i listen to joey's stuff n u can hear any real snare anywhere.

that's probably because it's entirely programmed, but hard to say without knowing what album you're referencing

you can get rid of most of the original snare and tom sounds by high passing the overheads

since my ddrums broke I haven't used triggers since, I just trigger from the mic tracks

You should still be changing snare heads and tuning like an actual recording, regardless of triggering or not, doing this allows you to use the overhead snare as a sort of blend for the triggers, failing that smash the snare in the overheads with a limiter

i have heard about the limiter trick, i don't no how i'd b able to smash the snare and yet have clean cymbals hits... is their a tutorial somewhere i can read on how to do it?

jman1986 said:
i have heard about the limiter trick, i don't no how i'd b able to smash the snare and yet have clean cymbals hits... is their a tutorial somewhere i can read on how to do it?

Quite simple the cymbals will only distort when it clips, so if thus is happening back this one off as a sort of half limiter then chain another limiter to do it until needed! I've never had a problem with sample replacing though, I don't see what's hard if you tune your snare

Only sometimes.
OT, but it honestly sounds like Joey makes samples of the toms and then triggers them, instead of using the actual mic tracks in his mix. I dunno if that's actually true, but it's what it sounds like to me.

Only sometimes.
OT, but it honestly sounds like Joey makes samples of the toms and then triggers them, instead of using the actual mic tracks in his mix. I dunno if that's actually true, but it's what it sounds like to me.

I read that he samples them and then pastes the clean hits where they should be he does not keep the actual audio because of the bleed from other drums he posted that somewhere but idr where, he probably has changed his workflow since but he was doing this at some point

Well up until last year, he triggered everything with Slate (except cymbals, obviously), but the toms hits sound a little too clean to be from the actual mic track on his newer stuff. Except for maybe his really new stuff (The Color Morale, etc.)