Triple XXX or Rectifier for studio use ?

Which one would you have for studio use ?

• Single Rectifier + Stilleto 4x12 cab ($1k more expensive)

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Single Recto + Orange 2x12

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Single Recto + Mesa Boogie 2x12

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Peavey Triple XXX (or JSX) with Stilleto 4x12

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Peavey Triple XXX (or JSX) + MB 2x12

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Peavey Triple XXX (or JSX) + Orange 2x12

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Quick one : So, my boss at the studio wants to buy an amp. We almost dont record rock, mostly jazz, blues, brazilian popular music, reggae, and sometime some rock music - but i want an amp that impresses and that we can rely for rock. So, we can get both a Single Rectifier or a Peavey Triple XXX head AND either e Orange 2x12 (used), a Mesa Boogie 2x12 or a MB Stilletto 4x12.

What would you rather have and why ?

everyone is going to tell you to get the Rectifier, but i think you should screw around with both heads and see which one will help you get that tone. i personally LOVE my XXX its a fricken awesome rock amp.

One great thing about the XXX is that is has a dampening control like the dual and triple rectos. The XXX is really focused in the mids with tones high end crunch, nice punch warm tone. Withe a looser dampening you can get a dual recto sound, with tight dampening very single rec. In person they sound a lot alike, so personally i would see the XXX being more versatile. The JSX is nice, but its toned down, so if you need something that is edgier, you won't be able to get it, and its easy to tame down the XXX to JSX levels.

The XXX and Orange combo will give you a big deep crunchy rock sound, a fairly large metal sound, and still thump away at cleans such as jazz, blues, slight breakup etc. The one up with the XXX is that you get that dampening mode, give you the feel of all three rectos, the triple rec more or less, more a long the lines of the single and dual rec.

I really don't like the Single Rec though, so that's a bit of a deal breaker - for me, it's 1. Dual Rec 2. XXX 3. Single Rec

I'd say go JSX with 4X12. The JSX is a lot more versatile in my opinion and you can get everything from softer styles to metal. As a rock amp it's great and that's where it really shines

I'd say search for the many conflicting opinions (such as mine) about the JSX, just so you have the whole picture if you decide to go that route ;)

I'd say search for the many conflicting opinions (such as mine) about the JSX, just so you have the whole picture if you decide to go that route ;)

I'll second Metaltastic on the JSX... Stick with something else :/ FWIW I'd say for recording, my old Peavey XXX wasn't bad with a Marshall Cab but I think a Mesa might be better for you. The Crunch and Ultra channel on the XXX didn't sound that much different IMO.

I really don't like the Single Rec though, so that's a bit of a deal breaker - for me, it's 1. Dual Rec 2. XXX 3. Single Rec

I've completely fallen in love with my Single Rec lately, amp sounds fucking phenomenal. My 5150 has been at a friend's house for a few weeks so I'm going to get it back and A/B it against the Recto tomorrow but it's going to have to kick my ass pretty hard for me to pick it over the Mesa again... :kickass:

Well, we can't test neither of them as no store on our city carry any good amps. So, the #1 amp that I thnk the studio could have was a Mark series amp. However, I didnt find any in Brazil, so Rectos would be the easy and logical choice. However, I've heard many of you say that Single Recto's arent that good, and a friend told me his Single Recto was TOO heavy (and he plays post rock stuff), so I am a little bit scared of it. How about the cleans that Rectos are able to do against XXX's ?

Never tried the XXX clean but my 3ch Triple Recto has very good clean indeed. Warm and big sounding.

for the stuff you're doing, i wouldn't get any of those amps...but maybe i'm just nuts

Me neither, but that's what's available here in Brazil. I'd get a Mark or that Randall MTS thing or if money was not an issue (It's is not, but my boss just spend $20k on outboard gear, a couple dbx things, a manley eq, and a shitload of stuff I dont even know how to turn on, and now he's kinda on the cheap side for amps), then I'd buy two amps.

What everyone thinks of the Stiletto ? Or better, name me an amp that you think would be OK to go from nice cleans to heavy rock.