TSE X30 and real power amp?

musikman1

Jun 18, 2009
TX
www.myspace.com
Has any one tried this method? I'm sure it's possible right? Just to get some real power tube saturation...

For instance-

DI--Mic Pre--X30--Reamp Box--Power Amp (say 50/50)--cab--mic

Do any of you think that this is possible? And if done, worth it?

Reason I'm asking is because me and a friend of mine got on the topic of emulators and impulses. Then we just brought up the idea of using emulator with live power amp and cab.

For sure it's possible. The power amp will want a line input so you can take it direct from the soundcard, you shouldn't need the reamp box unless you get groudloop issues.

Essentially it's no different from taking any preamp signal to the poweramp.

I reckon it'd be worth it. IMO digital sims sound good enough for the circuitry side of things, but still fall short of reproducing the feel of a loudspeaker. I haven't tried any new sims for a months though, maybe they're catching up there too.

Yep, its possible. I've done it before with a few different amp sims with pretty decent results.

For sure it's possible. The power amp will want a line input so you can take it direct from the soundcard, you shouldn't need the reamp box unless you get groudloop issues.

Essentially it's no different from taking any preamp signal to the poweramp.

I reckon it'd be worth it. IMO digital sims sound good enough for the circuitry side of things, but still fall short of reproducing the feel of a loudspeaker. I haven't tried any new sims for a months though, maybe they're catching up there too.
Thanks for the insight Omega. I wasn't quite sure if most power amps took balanced or unbalanced inputs. So the reamp box can be ditched (unless of course you get ground loops like you mentioned). And speaking of groundloops, and I know it's alittle off topic..but right now I'm using a Pro RMP and its got a nasty groundloop I can't seem to find. Think it's something to do with the amp and my interface being in different rooms on different outlets?

Yep, its possible. I've done it before with a few different amp sims with pretty decent results.
Cool man. What kind of combination of sims and poweramp works best in your opinion?

I've done this a while ago with Pod Farm, it came out pretty decent!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/913919/1960_ROSDI_2.mp3

I like that man! Sounds fucking awesome. :headbang: What kind of poweramp did you run that through?

Thanks for all the insight so far guys. Much appreciated.

but right now I'm using a Pro RMP and its got a nasty groundloop I can't seem to find. Think it's something to do with the amp and my interface being in different rooms on different outlets?

Run an extension power cable to the amp. All the gear in your signal chain should be plugged into the same outlet.

If you're using a reamp box as a loop breaker, and it has adjustable output impedance turn that knob right down. Try the ground lift switch in both positions. And try it without the reamp box also, if you have an unbalanced cable long enough.

To minimize the loop area, wrap the signal cable around the power cable as you go. Conventional wisdom has it that they should be kept apart to avoid capacitive coupling between the two, but if you try it both ways you'll see which results in less noise. ;)

Minimizing the loop area will remove noise which is being picked up from an outside source.

Noise generated in the equipment itself is another story. Bad grounding practices are apparently pretty common in audio gear, even the pro stuff. :(

Run an extension power cable to the amp. All the gear in your signal chain should be plugged into the same outlet.

If you're using a reamp box as a loop breaker, and it has adjustable output impedance turn that knob right down. Try the ground lift switch in both positions. And try it without the reamp box also, if you have an unbalanced cable long enough.

To minimize the loop area, wrap the signal cable around the power cable as you go. Conventional wisdom has it that they should be kept apart to avoid capacitive coupling between the two, but if you try it both ways you'll see which results in less noise. ;)

Minimizing the loop area will remove noise which is being picked up from an outside source.

Noise generated in the equipment itself is another story. Bad grounding practices are apparently pretty common in audio gear, even the pro stuff. :(

Thanks man. I'm going to go and pick up a extension cable today and see if that helps this issue. Also, do you think picking up a long speaker cable will be effective as well? That way, I can plug the dual rec to the outlet in the CR while keeping my cab in the other room its usually in. Thanks man.

...do you think picking up a long speaker cable will be effective as well? That way, I can plug the dual rec to the outlet in the CR while keeping my cab in the other room its usually in.

Good plan. The speaker cable is a lot less sensitive to noise pickup than line-level or lower signals (hence why speaker cables are not normally shielded).

It's usually better to keep the powered devices in the CR and just the cab and mic in the recording room, assuming a good-quality shielded mic cable. Especially if the mic pre is double-insulated (i.e. has no safety earth) the shorter the signal cable between that and the interface the better.

Handier for tweaking, as well.

Sorry, probably more helpful if I'd thought to mention that straight off. :erk:

Good plan. The speaker cable is a lot less sensitive to noise pickup than line-level or lower signals (hence why speaker cables are not normally shielded).

It's usually better to keep the powered devices in the CR and just the cab and mic in the recording room, assuming a good-quality shielded mic cable. Especially if the mic pre is double-insulated (i.e. has no safety earth) the shorter the signal cable between that and the interface the better.

Handier for tweaking, as well.

Sorry, probably more helpful if I'd thought to mention that straight off. :erk:

It's all good man. :kickass: I really appreciate the advice.

I'm going to look into getting a nice heavy duty speaker cable thats pretty long then. Should be a really good investment. And keep my 3ft long cable for live use.

Like I said man, thanks for the advice so far. Very very helpful.