Recording pre amp then "reamping" into power amp?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
So guitar > pre amp > interface

then later...

Interface > power amp > cab > mic > interface

Would I still need a DI/reamp box?

I know some fx loops can be switched between -10 and +4. So if it can do +4 then you should be good going from the line output of the interface to the fx return of the amp. If not you'd probably need to go through a reamp box. As has been said though, they aren't exactly expensive, I use the Radial Pro RMP and it works fine.

If preamp signal was recorded without additional amplification and interface have same input and output levels there is should not be any problem with such "reamping" because interface will output the same level as preamp...
As do such thing before I bought ProRMP and everything become more easy because all I need is to record proper DI and dial with tone later.
With reamping through poweramp the only option is volume/cab/mic placement variations.

Yeah this works without a reamp box, I tried it right now. But because your going through the effects return you can't adjust the volume on the amp, well at least i can't on my 5150.

Yeah this works without a reamp box, I tried it right now. But because your going through the effects return you can't adjust the volume on the amp, well at least i can't on my 5150.

Use the post-gain knob to adjust the volume

Edit: sorry, i thought you wrote effects send (when recording the preamp).. :eek:

Hi all,

Sorry to slightly hijack a thread, by all means move this post to somewhere more appropriate if necessary, but has anyone else had trouble getting the right sound while reamping? I've tried many times, but the guitars sound mid-heavy, dull and lifeless, particularly when palm muted. I'm using a Presonus Firestudio interface and a Reamp V2 box. I recorded the guitar plugged straight into the interface, running only through a line splitter (the other line went through the same amp I'm now trying to reamp through, and comparing the two signals shows significant difference). Is it the preamp on the interface colouring the signal? If not, any idea what? Or what I could do about that?

Thanks for any help you guys could provide, I'm pretty stuck here.