Tube screamer in fx loop or direct

dmmi

Mar 23, 2010
Finally getting a Tube screamer after work and am wondering if I should put it in the Fx loop of my amp or directly after my guitar?

After the guitar.

Time based effects (delay, reverb, etc.) are typically used in the loop.

Tone shaping and gain effects on the amp input.

Sweet......thanks!

Where would I put my Fx processor......after TS? In loop? It's a multi Fx board with both tone shaping and time based Fx

Cheers!

I would always run the tube screamer first. The only effect I ever put in from of a tube screamer is a wah pedal. If you are using your MFX unit mainly for delay/flanger/chorus stuff, put it in the loop.

It's an MFX with expression pedal....(wah, whammy, volume). typical Fx....delay, chorus, flange, reverb....etc. And amp modelling and or OD/Distortion.

I thing I'd mainly use the tone shaping (modelling) to have more tone tweakability....but I would like to use Fx for maideny type lead rythms.

So.....would you suggest Git>TS>MFX>Amp Head?
OR
GIT>TS>Amp head
> MFX Loop (and stay away from modelling/shaping

I got the Digitech Hardwire CM-2. It's pretty close to Bad Monkey except the "cassic/modified" switch. The main reason I got itwas beacuse I run my EMG's at 18V and it has an internal protection circuit to avoid clipping due to high inputs.....I don't know if I've been duped on that concept, but I read up on it before getting it. I was actually going to get the Bad monkey....but I was convinced to get the Hardwire CM-2....I don't know if I like it yet, I've only had a chance to try it at maybe 0.4 volume on my Valve king.....(the baby is sleeping)....but tomorrow is Jam day....I'll report back on my findings....the only thing is I don't know what to compare it too because I've never had one before.

So far, it has quite high gain...even at zero.....I don't know if thats because my tubes haven't fully kicked in yet (at 0.4 to 0.5)....but I've been tweaking for an hour or so and have got several differnt sounds....I've never had a "real" tube amp either....so I'm kindof swimming here, but I'm sure I'll get some good tones out of it

OP, why not just try the TS in the loop and let us know how it sounds? You should hear instantly that it sounds like low gain garbage.

Anyone here use a TS for rhythm tones and actually switch channels for clean tones? Are you tap dancing live?

yea i just got fed up and leave the TS on, go for a more classic rockish clean tone.

the solution is a dedicated clean amp like Fender or JC120 and a piezo

yea i just got fed up and leave the TS on, go for a more classic rockish clean tone.

the solution is a dedicated clean amp like Fender or JC120 and a piezo

This. Once i get home ill be running me recto and mark v for dirty tones, and my jc 120 and vox ac30tb for cleans and lightly driven sounds. Gonna be an epic rig to wire up.