Tube Screamer

dabhoys

Oct 12, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
I'm looking to invest in a nice Tube Screamer but I'm not sure where to begin to look at getting with all the mod's and other units that are made to sound like a tube screamer.

Would appreciate some advice. I reallyneed to smooth out the sound on my Recto..

Cheers...

cursed non-working search function... this topic has been covered a zillion times, but without a working Search funtion there would be no way for a new person to know this. just grab an ibanez ts-9, right off the shelf.. works fine, or the Maxxon ..whichever.... there are a bunch of esoteric models now, but time and again if you dig enough to find out what was actually used on the best sounding CD's you'll find it's one of those two.... the difference between the two is negligable. bah humbug to all the mods, if you are just looking to get a handle on using a TS with a high gain amp, just start with the basic ibanez or maxxon model is what i say. i've used my ts9... and even my ts10.. on more albums than most of the mod-freaks you find on here own, and they just work... well.

Liam Thompson said:
I was looking for somewhere like Analogue Man, I just can't be arsed to send my TS-9 Turbo to America.
feh... i live in America and i can't be arsed to send mine out either.

Would it be worth getting the TS-9 and modding it or just get the Maxon?

Where can I get the Mod Chip. I live in Ireland which isn't to far from the UK :)

Thanks for all your help lads, tis much appreciated....

A question for anyone with any Tubescreamer knowledge.

I recently got hold of a brand new TS9-DX for £55, although I was initially after a Maxon OD-808 I couldn't refuse this bargain and besides a did like they way it sounded. I figured for the price it would still be cheaper than any other Tubescreamer model even after modifications.

However if I can make it a little smoother I'm all for that, so would anyone recommend buying the kit off Ebay for £17 that Andy has mentioned or should I order the Brown option mod package from Analouge Man for $30?

http://www.analogman.com/ts9.htm#brown

Apparently the brown mod just replaces the capacitors from carbon film to carbon composition ones to create a smoother sound, no mention of chip changing.

Also I've read that I will probably have to permanently fit the chip if I go for the Ebay kit as there isn't enough room in the Turbo model to fit the IC socket.

Any advice or opinion are greatly appreciated.

Would a tubescreamer work for people with a POD XT into the PC work as well? would that help to improve the sound? make it thicker?

Not sure, since i never used one...

Andy Sneap said:
Maxon OD820 is the closest to original and best in my opinion. Just ordered the JRC4558D Chip mod for my other TS9

I agree, I bought the Maxon OD820 because you recommended it here a few months back, and I've been extremely happy with it. I also have the Ibanez TS808 and TS9, and I like the Maxon the best overall. But all of them are great and the differences are, like James said, negligible.