Tube Screamer

i just sold an original ts808 on ebay a month ago. i figure its for the best, i need something i wont be afraid to ruin touring with it and all. ill probly get the maxon or maybe even a ts9, i just have to try one first.

bah humbug, chip schmip..... spend more time playing than worrying about pedal mods and people will think you sound great no matter what you play through. ;)

that was the player in me talking. the producer in me says, "i wish i never sold the ts9 i bought in Germany when i was 17" :(

Can someone explain the technical signifigance of doing this. Is it simply for a gain boost, Or does it actually alter the tone in other ways. Ive been hearing everyone talk about this peadl infront of the amp thing as a clean boost. What i would guess is your just pushing the signal to overload the preamp tubes a bit more than normal. This would lead to more gain for sure, but i dont undertand how it actually focuss the sound.

(sorry for the noobishness..:p)
Da Fukn Guru

Kicking the preamp in the ass will let you lower the amp's gain, which will tighten the sound up on it's own. Also, it add's a nice coating that you can't get by just turning the gain up.

The mid boost and slight bass cut from a Tubescreamer also tends to help a bit with metal tone.

Well, i just got an offer on a Maxon POD1 with the JRC4558D chip in it... is that a good one at all? comparable to the Maxon OD820?

yeah you can get the way chips cheaper, I just wanted the full mod with instructions this once just so had a clear explanation of how to ruin my ts9 haha. Got it today, what I'll do is demo before and after, see if you can hear the difference.

Andy Sneap said:
yeah you can get the way chips cheaper, I just wanted the full mod with instructions this once just so had a clear explanation of how to ruin my ts9 haha. Got it today, what I'll do is demo before and after, see if you can hear the difference.

That be cool to hear the difference. Just won that auction last nite for the mod kit too. I like the book that comes with it to explain the whole thing. Thanks for sending us the link to that. I'm looking forward to butchering a pedal :)

OK heres the samples
http://andysneap.com/downloads/tubescreamer/

I've had a good day on the TS9 front, I have 2, one which I bought for $40 dollars from Rich Ward from Stuck Mojo, which was destroyed, but I've actually managed to rebuild it today, with the aid of an Ibanez sonic distortion pedal, I found this TS9 must have been a really early one because it already had the 4558D chip in it. Result!

The other TS9 was a stock off the shelf one I bought a couple of years ago. Theres 3 samples, normal, new chip (which made the biggest difference) then the brown mod, which is just changing over 2 resistors.
Like I said, the chip made a great difference, brown mod is more subtle, theres another 6 mods to do from this kit. For £17 you can't argue, instructions are real clear and easy to follow.

Played the Ibanez TS9, Zakk Wylde(MXR) and Route 66(dirty big white stomp box with compressor)

The ZakkWylde pedel was outstanding amongest this...ending up getting it - very happy with the sound.

Anyone else tried it ?

I'm picking up the Maxon 820 next month, keen to hear the differences

I can get myself a new TS for a reasonable price. Which would be best or augmenting my tone. Do I have to buy an older one?

By the way, i agree with James. I am a bass player and record guitar just for reference. As a bass player I know how much my hands and brain play a part in my tone.

Just out of curiousity how does the TS5 compare to any of the other mentioned pedals. Its obviousdly a lot cheaper but has anyone tried one?

It's easy to convert a TS-5 into an 808, there's loads of explainations all over the net on how to do it. You should get a new case for it if you get one though, 'cos those old 'Soundtank' series pedals crack open if you give them too hard a kick. If you going to mod the pedal anyway a TS-5 is perfect.