Tube-swap for Bugera 6260.

DanKraw

BUGERA!
Dec 2, 2008
Winnipeg
I was wondering if there any tubes that I can switch to that would make my amp have less background noise and better sound for metal. I was thinking of doing a full swap, so different 12AX7s and then maybe throw some KT88s in there, but my amp is only switchable between 6L6 and EL34 so would I have to get it modded?

Nah, forget Eurotubes, the guy is gonna recommend exactly the same thing he does to everyone else, cuz he carries exactly ONE BRAND. The aforementioned www.dougstubes.com and also www.thetubestore.com are great places for learning about (and buying) tubes - personally I love Shuguang 9th gens. in the preamp and Ruby or Winged C's (depending on your budget) in the power amp

I really don't care where I get them from as long as they work and get me the sound I want. I just want to get my tone to have a tighter low-end and punchier attack. Get more definition out of my notes, lower the background noise and maybe spruce up the clean channel a little bit. If there are tubes that can do that, then those are what I want.

Nah, forget Eurotubes, the guy is gonna recommend exactly the same thing he does to everyone else, cuz he carries exactly ONE BRAND

well, to be fair, if you read up on their history, the guy who runs the site met the guy who owns the factory producing the JJ tubes in europe, and agreed to be their sole distributor in the US...i think they're now available through other sellers, but i think dude sells enough of the JJ's that he doesn't have to mess around with other brands...either that, or maybe the JJ factory told him he can only sell their tubes on his site

I really don't care where I get them from as long as they work and get me the sound I want. I just want to get my tone to have a tighter low-end and punchier attack. Get more definition out of my notes, lower the background noise and maybe spruce up the clean channel a little bit. If there are tubes that can do that, then those are what I want.

I have 6260 with JJ's in the preamp it and certainly tightened the low end. And I wouldn't pass over eurotubes. I've only had good experiences with them. They are reliable and ship quickly. If you order power tubes as well make sure to order a bias probe!

I have had nothing but great experience with Eurotubes. Some people knock him for only selling JJs, but after trying a bunch of different brands - I've come to love JJs. For me it's like favorite strings, picks, cables etc. Once you found a brand that you like and works for you - no real reason to change it up.

Awesome. I e-mailed them to ask which tubes they would recommend and Jay sent me back a long and detailed e-mail outlining which tubes might do the trick. They really seem like the way to go right now.

Awesome. I e-mailed them to ask which tubes they would recommend and Jay sent me back a long and detailed e-mail outlining which tubes might do the trick. They really seem like the way to go right now.

I doubt you will be disappointed. I've always found eurotubes product and customer service to be top notch.

@Marcus: Did you have a bad experience with eurotubes? I've noticed you often trying to steer potential customers away from them. This isn't any kind of attack, I would just like to know for future reference.

Nah, I didn't have a bad experience, just the fact that awhile ago a lot of people recommended it and said Bob gave great, custom-tailored advice to people for tube selection for their individual amps, so for a very brief time I too recommended them and ordered a couple of pre-amp tubes and the bias probe/multimeter - but it didn't take me long to realize what a fucking joke "custom-tailored advice" is coming from a guy that sells exactly one brand. Basically, I just see absolutely no reason why anyone would want to buy from a site with an atrocious selection when you can buy from others with much better selection (and still staffed by awesome, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful dudes, esp. Doug's) - and it's not like anyone would say JJ's are the be-all end-all greatest tubes out there either!

And both Dougs and thetubestore.com definitely sell all variety of JJ's, btw - hell, I bought a pair of JJ 6L6's for my 5150 combo back in like '05

Nah, I didn't have a bad experience, just the fact that awhile ago a lot of people recommended it and said Bob gave great, custom-tailored advice to people for tube selection for their individual amps, so for a very brief time I too recommended them and ordered a couple of pre-amp tubes and the bias probe/multimeter - but it didn't take me long to realize what a fucking joke "custom-tailored advice" is coming from a guy that sells exactly one brand. Basically, I just see absolutely no reason why anyone would want to buy from a site with an atrocious selection when you can buy from others with much better selection (and still staffed by awesome, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful dudes, esp. Doug's) - and it's not like anyone would say JJ's are the be-all end-all greatest tubes out there either!

And both Dougs and thetubestore.com definitely sell all variety of JJ's, btw - hell, I bought a pair of JJ 6L6's for my 5150 combo back in like '05

IMO there is nothing wrong with specialization. If someone wants JJ's, eurotubes is the place to go. Don't forget the direct ties with between JJ Electronics and eurotubes. I wouldn't doubt if he obtains better quality stock because of that fact. The testing and grading of tubes that is done over at eurotubes is amazing. I mentioned Dougstubes (which is also great) to DanKraw in case he was looking for another brand.

It may seem like I'm pushing JJ's here and the only reason I am is because out of all the tubes I've tried in the 6260 the most benefit has been seen from those tubes in particular. They smooth out some of the grain and provide a nice overall tightening of the tone in the room and under a mic.

With that said, I agree that JJ's are not the be all end all of amplifier tubes.

With Eurotubes, email them about the gold pin ECC833S in High Gain. They don't advertise them, but they get a select number of them. I really like the gold pin stuff that I've tried, although the difference is subtle. In fact, the Gold Pin ECC803S is amazing in V1 and really helped give my 6505 a pretty usable clean.

AFAIC, I won't believe any stories of tone improvements from changed tubes unless I hear direct A/B clips - I have a hard time thinking of anything that would inspire more of the psychological effect of perceiving change when there really might not be much/any

AFAIC, I won't believe any stories of tone improvements from changed tubes unless I hear direct A/B clips - I have a hard time thinking of anything that would inspire more of the psychological effect of perceiving change when there really might not be much/any

Even brand new tubes introduce varying amounts of noise, microphonics and harmonics that will directly affect your tone. Materials, manufacturing equipment and manufacturing techniques all play a role in this. The changes in sound are subtle but they do exist.

I agree with Metaltastic. Last year I had to change my tubes and I emailed them....Yes, Jay sent me a long mail with different alternative.....A pity it was exactly the same things, word per word, there was wrote in their site....I mean, exactly a cut and paste...
So I bought some tubes from an european shop www.tubes-town.net

Even brand new tubes introduce varying amounts of noise, microphonics and harmonics that will directly affect your tone. Materials, manufacturing equipment and manufacturing techniques all play a role in this. The changes in sound are subtle but they do exist.

Oh I'm not saying there isn't the potential for differences, just that I feel many times people unintentionally hype them up, assuming they're there at all.

So are you saying that I'm not gonna get a change in tone from the tubes? I can get a sound out of the Bugera that I like, but tightening up the bottom-end and getting a punchier attack would be an improvement. If the tubes aren't going to make much of a difference I don't really see any point in changing them until they start to get worn out.

So are you saying that I'm not gonna get a change in tone from the tubes? I can get a sound out of the Bugera that I like, but tightening up the bottom-end and getting a punchier attack would be an improvement. If the tubes aren't going to make much of a difference I don't really see any point in changing them until they start to get worn out.

I would get them.....change them, and a/b them, and you'll know. and if there's not a difference...boom you have an extra set when they start to go bad.