Tubes for Peavey 6505

Nevermorian

#1 Backstreet Boys Fan
Sep 2, 2001
Germany
www.myspace.com
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding tube choice;
I play a custom made 7-string baritone (neck-thru made of mahagony&Bubinga) with EMG's (81-7 at bridge position) through a Peavey 6505 and a BBE Sonic Maximizer in the FX-Chain, all going into a Mesa 4x12 Rectifier cabinet with vintage 30 speakers. While I like the overall sound, I am in need for a more crisp and less grainy distortion. The amp has enough gain and enough volume capacities with nice presence and defined low-end, but lacks a bit of precision in the distortion. While the EMG delivers a lot of attack and a very tight sound, the amp seems to add just a bit to much "sand". I hope you get the point. Sound examples for a guitar sound that I'd like is something between Slipknot's "Iowa" album (with a bit more presence) or Dimebag Darrel's sound on "vulgar" (with a bit more dirt).
Please restrain from recommending buying new gear that I cannot afford. Additionally, please note that my choice for the 6505 was made due to a lot of testing in different stores. And since I cannot afford an Elmwood or Krank amp, I just want to make the best out of what I have so far.

Many thanks in advance! :)

If your tubes are stock, I'd get some new ones...NOS RFT in V1, CHinese 9th gen's in the others...If you can't get your hands on an RFT, try the 9th gen. Chinese preamp tube in V1 as well.

I'm not a fan of the EH preamp tubes these amps come with stock. The Chinese pre's smooth it out a bit.

Well, I've never tried them in a JSX as I don't own one. But, the Shuguang preamp tubes seem to always pop up in conversations about good preamp tubes for Peaveys, 5150/6505's specifically...I think it's the Shuguang factory tubes in general, but I have always heard specifically the 9th generation of their 12AX7 is the best - and most recent, IIRC. As for power amp tubes, I've always heard good things about JJ's in Peaveys, so I think that would translate across the board? I have all 9th gen Chinese tubes in my preamp, and the JJ 6L6GC's in the power section. It's raw and aggressive as all hell, but it has a smoother top end than when I had the stock pre's in it. I've also tested Ruby 6L6GC's in the power section and dug those, too. Some Peavey's come stock with Ruby's, but mine came with EH's all around. The Ruby's sound a tiny bit beefier than the JJ's, but the amp seemed to lose a touch of the aggression. The stock EH power tubes sounded a little less beefy as well as less aggressive than either of the other 2 power tubes quads.

I've also heard good things about Svetlana 6L6GC's in the power section. On my next re-tube, I think I'm gonna go that route.

YEPPERS
mine which is a block letter (yeah i know theres no REAL difference)
has peavey super 7 9th gen chinese pre tubes, and it sounds amazing