Tubes for Recto

[snip]...I read a few articles that they changed hands or something and Svetlana is basically Sovteks with a new name.

The New Sensor Corporation (who also sells EH and Sovtek brands) now owns the Svetlana trade name in North America. So there was a change in the US, but not in Europe. The original Svetlana tubes are now marketed under the SED Winged =C= name in the states.

Gah Jonsey said the opposite! Naughteh Mark!

Well, since most modern amp distortion comes from the preamp, that means the preamp tubes are being driven WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY harder than the power tubes (unless you're at like stadium volumes), and tubes show more of their unique characteristics the harder they're driven! ;)

I've only compared JJ, Tung Sol, and Shuguang 9th gen, but those seemed to be 3 of the best regarded tubes out there (besides the NOS crap from Buttfuckistan, thank you Jeff :lol: ), and I found Shuguang 9th gens to be the most even of the three, with the Tung Sol being slightly harsher and the JJ slightly darker (but the differences were really minor, and I wouldn't recommend worrying too much about tubes, since there are so many varieties and so many potential combinations, all of which only give minor differences in tone IME, so you'll just drive yourself crazy and spend way too much money! :D)

And the Penta Labs 12AX7's are the best of the Shuguang 9th gens, taken and relabeled

James, those look great dude, I'd go for 'em! (but not the current tubes Mesa sells, no thanks :erk: )

And Nic, Pentas are great, but if you can only find them for a really high price, I'd just go for regular Shuguang 9th gens (or maybe 3 Shuguangs and then two Pentas, one for V1 and one balanced one for V5, the PI spot)

I can't find them on any Aussie website at all. :lol:

Sovtek took Svetlana to court claiming that they originally owned the "Svetlana" name. So the good (original) "Svetlana's are S.E.D "Winged C" Currently labeled Svetlana's are indeed sovteks. I personally LOVE the SED Winged C's and some JJ12ax7's (i think the JJ's are 803s or something to that nature). I get my tubes from thetubestore.com which is a canadian, and they ship to US, so maybe they will ship to you?

Sovtek took Svetlana to court claiming that they originally owned the "Svetlana" name. So the good (original) "Svetlana's are S.E.D "Winged C" Currently labeled Svetlana's are indeed sovteks. I personally LOVE the SED Winged C's and some JJ12ax7's (i think the JJ's are 803s or something to that nature). I get my tubes from thetubestore.com which is a canadian, and they ship to US, so maybe they will ship to you?

No doubt they would but I don't like the idea of having tubes shipped that far.

No doubt they would but I don't like the idea of having tubes shipped that far.

I don't blame you, but if it makes you feel any better, but at The Tube Store, they have AMAZING customer service, so if there were any problems they would take care of you. Once I had a tube go out on me, and I had figured it was just a few months old. Turned out that it was waaaay past the warranty but they went ahead and credited me back anyway, which I just ended up using the store credit towards some new tubes.

I don't blame you, but if it makes you feel any better, but at The Tube Store, they have AMAZING customer service, so if there were any problems they would take care of you. Once I had a tube go out on me, and I had figured it was just a few months old. Turned out that it was waaaay past the warranty but they went ahead and credited me back anyway, which I just ended up using the store credit towards some new tubes.

Well I suppose I can only try.