Tuner that can handle a low B (bass)?

egan.

daylightdies.com
Dec 28, 2002
NorCal
www.daylightdies.com
I'm looking for some input on a tuner that can actually accurately detect a low B string...or Bb really.
Some of them won't detect at all.
Some of them consider anything within 20cents to be in tune.
In the studio it's easy to second guess the tuner by ear but on stage....
Anyway, any recomendations? Strobostomp?

I don't know of a tuner, but as long as your bass is properly set up, you can play a harmonic at the 12th fret of the low string and it's very easy to tune that way and most tuners pick up on that.

Try it with this one:

Korg_dt3.JPG

There are some good bargains on Ebay.

When I played bass in a band (5 string, down a half step) I used a BOSS TU-2 and it worked perfectly fine for live applications.

Thanks guys.
Seems like several of you are digging the korg stuff so I'll give it a shot. FWIW the boss TU-2 is the tuner I get by w/ now and dislike (don't get me wrong it's great for guitar).

egan,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I play a 5 string bass tuned down a full step (A-D-G-C-F). None of the portable hand held tuners I tried were able to pick up the low string.

I couple years ago, I picked up a used Korg DTR-2 rack mounted tuner. It works perfectly. Picks up the low string right away... I love it.

According to their website (www.korg.com), it has a 7 octive range. Here's a pic:

lrg_DTR2.jpg

I haven't tried any of the newer Korg models (DTR1000, DTR2000), but I'm sure they are just as good.

Actually I use 12th fret harmonics all the time, both for guitar and bass, on all strings more or less.
Here's the thing: when bands arrive in the studio, I take care of the intonation of their instruments (which is never accurate). Then we have the next problem. People don't know how to use a tuner. It's unbelievable and it always pisses me off so much. And you have the people who pluck the strings like "beeeeoooooooouuuuuwwwwwwwww beeeeeooooooouuuuuwwwwww" and trying to tune at the same time. Playing low tuning with a 009 set most of the time. This, mixed with the other guitar player in the band who tunes by lightly blowing some air on the string or something...
Then, of course, you also have the people who change the strings 2 minutes before it's time for their take, on a guitar with a Floyd Rose. And they go over the strings time after time after time and have NO idea about tension and how you can try to get the tuning done a faster way.
So in the end, I always grab the guitar and do the tuning for them.

What does this have to do with this thread? Well, the lower the string, the more "beeeeooooooouuuuwwww" you will have going on. So in some cases it might just be needed to pluck the string softer. Although if the bass is good intonated, a 12th fret harmonic will be the best option in my opinion.