Tv tuners and DVD player software

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
Hey again. Lately I've been considering buying one of those tv tuners for my computer since buying a bigger widescreen monitor, I still own a bulky CRT television and it's actually getting in the way of my home studio setup of late...so I thought I would consolidate some space and do the tuner w/ a remote deal so I can get rid of the whole tv/dvd player setup and just do it all on my 'puter. One issue I've come across with doing that is watching DVD/bluray - I dont have any software for that currently on my computer and do not watch movies on it since I have a console player for the tv...I'm mainly curious as to what software you guys use to watch movies on your computers. I have only had one in the past (Cyberlink Power DVD) and it was a free copy that came with an ancient dvd player I got years and years ago and is extremely out of date at this point. Is there anything better than that brand? I have done a google search and many of those listed seem shady and I dont like going down a random search list for some bloated/malicious software, I'd rather have some solid opinions from people I know are into technology and such. Any recommendations? thanks

I normally use Winamp for DVD's on my Windows PC.
Other times I just let the default Windows 7 DVD player do it... I think you will be alright just using Windows default player.

As for tuner cards, there is so much out there now depending on what kind of format you want. You can still get PCI cards and all that, but you can also get breakout boxes that hook up via firewire.

Thanks guys, using XP still so the WMP never seemed to work for me...I had tried getting VLC directly from the Video LAN site and got a huge malware warning from my AV, but managed to snag it from CNet and it works excellently. You guys rule! :worship:notworthy:worship:

Will check out EyeTV asap, looking for one with a remote so I''s cans bes lazys couch potatoes.:kickass:

I use Windows Media Player Classic. It's very system resource light compared to VLC Player and I've never struggled with any codecs, but there's a whole bundle available if I did. Handy for when you're running a slightly older system.

Other than that, DVD43 to remove copy protection and Nero to rip. I know it's illegal, but fuck it, they are my DVDs. I believe Handbrake is a good ripper if you don't own Nero.

I copy the entire DVD architecture, just in case. Make a new folder for each DVD, open MPC, select open folder, go to the relevant folder et voila... DVD plays perfectly and actually runs faster than a standard DVD drive, plus on the odd slightly scratched up disc that may stop playing in a regular DVD player, sometimes the error correction helps this.

Dunno about TV tuners though.

* Oh and if you have an Android phone (or probably iPhone too) both VLC and MPC have apps that allow you to use your phone as a remote control :)