Two Kick Drums!

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
This question may have been asked before, but my drummer just set up his brand new kit last night, and now he has two kick drums. He's tuned them so they sound basically identical, but I can't help but ponder the fact that they're still two different physical drums (even though they're manufactured to be the same.) We're all about consistency in this band.

On the plus side - I'd imagine they would trigger more accurately during fast/intricate footwork than a single kick would (I haven't ever used triggers yet.)

Any tips/comments/suggestions for miking, playing live, or recording with two kick drums? :loco:

You should grab yourself two D6's (or a 2nd if you have 1 already), I've yet to come accross a venue that has two kick mics that both worked and if they did they were low end crap (Shure PG's seem to be a favourite for cheap ass venues).

i have always used two kicks and my biggest problem was keeping them tuned the same
its never worked sucessfully for me
if i did have them the same
one would be tighter than the other etc, general problems, and also the sounds from each mic would be different
my solution was to sample the kicks once recorded, and thats still my solution, i use a blend of andys kick and my own kick sample

I've heard a lot about triggering being easier with two kicks, but never had trouble triggering single ones - not the kind of trouble that made me think "wish I had two kicks".

In my experience, the whole two kicks thing is more about feel, posture, consistency, developing the same strenght on both legs, etc. I've never bothered about slightly differently tuned kicks, if it's not overwhelming no one will notice it live, and in recording situations I'll probably trigger them anyway.

The big point is: it's so fucking cool to have two kicks.

Razorjack is right, it's a good idea to take your own microphones to gigs.

yeah, i'm with jackal, the slight change in sound between the two will make it sound a little less consistent, which is a good thing in my book.

yes, the slight difference between the two kicks is also a plus in my way of thinking/working... as long as it's not too drastic. i did explain that to Kazrog in an AIM chat several hours ago today though... ;)

James Murphy said:
yes, the slight difference between the two kicks is also a plus in my way of thinking/working... as long as it's not too drastic. i did explain that to Kazrog in an AIM chat several hours ago today though... ;)

Yeah I posted this before I saw you on AIM. :lol:

Anyway I'm not looking to make the kicks sound EXACTLY the same or anything, I'm feeling very stoked about the new kit overall. I definitely plan to pick up two D6's as soon as possible, they are pretty amazing mics!

Torniojaws said:
Why not go experimental, and have the left kick a techno kick and the right one a sampled car horn :O

Yeah... i just tried it and it KICKS ASS!!!

Here, have some:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=281113

I put the "bark" on the snare, since Jackal kinda recommended it... so there ya go.. a toot on the right, techno kick on the left, and a nice bark in the middle..

Im just going to clean out my PM box now, since im pretty sure it will be overloaded with sample requests and how i obtained them..

THe Lamb of God drummers lets it be know that he slightly tunes his two kicks diffrent. "I like to ge a twa da instead of a da da"

Black neon bob said:
Yeah... i just tried it and it KICKS ASS!!!

Here, have some:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=281113

I put the "bark" on the snare, since Jackal kinda recommended it... so there ya go.. a toot on the right, techno kick on the left, and a nice bark in the middle..

Im just going to clean out my PM box now, since im pretty sure it will be overloaded with sample requests and how i obtained them..

:worship: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: