two kick drums

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
seems like a beneficial set up. you can get the kit more symmetrical, it's easier to play, you can sneak the snare mic right down the center, and you can put those hats out in left field (to reduce bleed.) not to mention you have two different tracks making quantization and editing twice as easy. seems well worth it for me to try and convince drummers in future projects to leave that double cobra packed up and try out this method. anyone have any tips/pointers for tracking two kicks??

i had the idea just now of recording samples of whichever kick drum sounds better, and then have that kick drum be the main kick (the right for a righty). and then leave that one natural in the mix, BUT replace the LEFT kick with the samples of the one on the right. so the left is replaced, the right stays natural, and they both make the same sound. this enables us to use whatever cheap shitty kick is laying around to be the second one, also. and for ME anyway, double bass is easier when it's on two drums that sound different. but i'm certainly not a legit drummer, either...heh.

anyone know of any big names ever doing something like that? seems like it'd work great and sound super transparent.

The band I'm working recorded 2 bass drums. I didn't do the drum recordings unfortunately, because they recorded the bass drums with 2 different mikes.... and one of the mikes barely cuaght any signal... so I had to replace the kicks with samples. But editing and quantizing was great! A lot easier :)

i would never have a drummer track with kick pedals they are not used to. you will just get excuses the whole time on why they can't nail the flying double kick parts even though we all know they can't play it even with their own pedals. but yes two kicks is best because the snare is set on center and you get a lot less hi hat bleed.

I get what you're saying, but I think if you replace just the left kick then it'll turn out that the left is a more consistent sound and won't have the same bleed affecting it as the right side. If the drummers kick hits aren't consistent, especially during fast parts, then it'll sound weird with the left having more attack. I'd replace both to get the same sound, even if it's using a sample from one of the kicks.

Just a thought.

I use to have a drummer with double kicks. I spent tons of time trying to get them tuned the same. Total pain in the ass and never succeeded. I say get double kicks and trigger them both.

Also, "use whatever cheap shitty kick is laying around" and "double bass is easier when it's on two drums that sound different" I think generally don't apply for most. If the rebound is different between the kicks, it can throw a drummer off. If a drummer is use to a double pedal set up, double kicks will take time to get use to and vice-versa. And the two different sounds is really trippy in a metal context. I've thrown a kit together like that and it just wasn't good. When you're playing some double bass, the general idea is to sound like you're playing the same drum. Even if they're a little bit different, it can really throw things off.

All opinions of course, but in my first hand and second hand experience, have the drummer play on the kick/kicks they are use to. I at least recommend the same pedals, but unless you can get the head just right for rebound, it'll cause problems for a lot of drummers. You gotta deal with a kick sounding better at one head tension and the drummer having to play at a different head tension. Samples to the rescue. :)

Also, "use whatever cheap shitty kick is laying around" and "double bass is easier when it's on two drums that sound different" I think generally don't apply for most. If the rebound is different between the kicks, it can throw a drummer off. If a drummer is use to a double pedal set up, double kicks will take time to get use to and vice-versa. And the two different sounds is really trippy in a metal context. I've thrown a kit together like that and it just wasn't good. When you're playing some double bass, the general idea is to sound like you're playing the same drum. Even if they're a little bit different, it can really throw things off.

All opinions of course, but in my first hand and second hand experience, have the drummer play on the kick/kicks they are use to. I at least recommend the same pedals, but unless you can get the head just right for rebound, it'll cause problems for a lot of drummers. You gotta deal with a kick sounding better at one head tension and the drummer having to play at a different head tension. Samples to the rescue. :)
+1

It would definately throw me off going from my beloved, tweaked Cobras to two unfamilar single pedals + playing fast double bass on skins with different rebound and feel.