Kick Triggers?

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
I recently sold my electric kit, which means I'm recording on my acoustic now, but a lot of the bands I play with seem to suck at keeping beat on their kick drum. It was very easy to just take the MIDI file before and move around the kick to where it should be, but it's a bit more time consuming on an acoustic.

To be clear, I honestly don't want to trigger because of the sound, I LOVE the way my set's kick drum sounds recorded/live, but I'd like it for consistency and easy editing, if needed.

The two options I've been looking at are:

Axis eKits for my AL-2 double pedals - $75
(5) DrumDial Triggers w/ Trigger Guards - $68

I've heard some good things about the DrumDials, and having used the ddrum Pros before and having them break on me numerous times and double trigger/miss-trigger like mad, I'd rather not go that route this time. The only problem with the DrumDials is I can only seem to find the ones with the guards in packs of 5, and I really only NEED one (without guards they're $13 a piece). Though, I guess 4 extra could come in handy if that's the only quantity I can buy them in.

I've heard the eKits are amazing and are one of the best, if not the best kick trigger on the market, because it triggers off the pedal and not the bass drum head. A friend of mine uses them live and seems to love them; I recorded his kit the other day, only triggering the kick and they didn't seem to double trigger at all. My only issue with these are that they will cost me $75 for 1 trigger, whereas for $7 less, I could get 4 more of the DrumDials.

What are your guys experiences with the two? Are the Axis eKits really worth $75 for only ONE vs. FIVE DrumDials for $68?

Thanks!

To be honest I never had a problem with the Ddrum triggers double triggering at all. They do break far too easily though.
Drumdials are pretty decent. Seem to pick up a bit more spill than the Ddrums but they're pretty rock solid and cheap so it's hard to complain.
I'd say email the place on ebay thats selling the 5 pack of drumdials and ask if they can sell you just one. I've always had good service from them when getting triggers shipped from USA to the UK so I bet they'd be happy to sell the triggers with the guard separately.

To be honest I never had a problem with the Ddrum triggers double triggering at all. They do break far too easily though.
Drumdials are pretty decent. Seem to pick up a bit more spill than the Ddrums but they're pretty rock solid and cheap so it's hard to complain.
I'd say email the place on ebay thats selling the 5 pack of drumdials and ask if they can sell you just one. I've always had good service from them when getting triggers shipped from USA to the UK so I bet they'd be happy to sell the triggers with the guard separately.

Hmm, I'll send them a message, see what they say ;)

I mean, I think I might use the snare trigger if I got the set, but I'm not sure I'd use the tom ones, but I guess it'd be nice to have them if I ever needed them. My only concern at this point though is just how well they trigger.

Ddrum triggers don't double trigger, it's probably the way you process the informations they send (it's just audio) that must be wrong.
And I don't understand why so many people complain about them breaking easily. I have a Ddrum Pro set and none of them has failed on me yet, and I got them like maybe 5 years ago...
That being said, I'm not saying they are the best or anything, it's just that, well, they work (and if they didn't most pros wouldn't use them in the first place).

Not to sound like a jerk, but my post specifically said that I'm not interested in the ddrum triggers, I have no interest in ever buying them again. I'm glad some of you guys have had good experiences with them, but there's a huge majority of people who also haven't. If ddrum can't even make a quality product to stand by and have to come out with their newer DRT series of triggers, which have 2 piezos in it, if one breaks, then that says a lot about the company. Not to mention I've never been impressed by their drums either. I'm just not interested in overpaying for triggers that I know from past experiences, aren't very reliable.

I've heard some great things about those Roland triggers though, I might have to check into them, though at the price they cost new, I'm kind of hesitant. Maybe I'll be able to find one used ;)

You'll find the Roland triggers on eBay second hand. I think I got my kick and snare triggers for £25/30 each.

I had a Roland break on me in a matter of weeks. I think they all break because of how fragile the piezo elements are.

I currently use Axis ekits and once you figure out how to set them up they are flawless. Some people however, never figure out how to set them up and hate them.

One thing you could do is get a pile of piezo elements and some foam and duct tape and call it a day.