Live kick drum sample triggering without computer?

Danablos

New Metal Member
Jun 28, 2011
Hi guys had a search and cant find any threads on this. Is there a drum module/sampler out that allows you to load your own wavs in and then trigger from acoustic triggers? I know the spd sx has trigger inputs and this would be perfect if you could get the triggers on a different output to the rest of the sample pads. Basically Im looking for a unit where I can trigger my own kick drum samples without the use of a computer or DAW.

Cheers guys!

Is it important that they be your own samples?

http://www.alesis.com/dm5

This does not let you upload your own samples, but the samples included are very good (possibly out of date... It was a staple about 5 years ago... There's a good chance you've heard them at a show at some point).

It will accept midi input as well as Trigger input (I think audio input will work as well but I've never tried that one).

Is it important that they be your own samples?

http://www.alesis.com/dm5

This does not let you upload your own samples, but the samples included are very good (possibly out of date... It was a staple about 5 years ago... There's a good chance you've heard them at a show at some point).

It will accept midi input as well as Trigger input (I think audio input will work as well but I've never tried that one).

Thanks seth! Yeah I I'm trying to find a unit that will give me the freedom to use my own samples and not be limited to whats built into the module, without having to use a laptop. Yeah I am farmiliar with the dm5, very popular for metal kick triggering
Cheers!

the spd-s does the job fine, you can load up your own wav sample..

as for the outputs, you just pan the kick to the left channel, and the rest of the samples (if you use any) to the right one for example..

i'd also reconsider staying with the dm5, it's still being used by lots of top-level bands

as for the outputs, you just pan the kick to the left channel, and the rest of the samples (if you use any) to the right one for example..

i'd also reconsider staying with the dm5, it's still being used by lots of top-level bands

Thanks man, was just reading about the spd sx and it looks like you can assign any sample to any output including the sub outs and headphones.. So more options there than I thought. Yeah made this thread just to see what was out there for using your own samples, I know the dm5 is popular, but I also hear the samples can sound a bit dated and techno-y.. which is fine if your playing through a massive rig with a good soundy.. but could probably be not so versatile in smaller pub/club venues?

The Pearl RED Box (which is a re packaged alesis dm10 module I am pretty sure) Allows users to use custom kits from BFD, Toontrack and Steven Slate. So there might be a way to load your own kits as well? might be something to check out

http://www.redboxsoundshop.com/

Thanks guys this has given me allot to look at! Im thinking the Alesis samplepad, pan the kick to the left and the rest of the samples to the right so I can have them on separate channels.. This wont effect the sound of the samples will it? going mono? I guess it will just mean that the samples will come out of both sides of the PA at all times? Cheers again guys

Messed with triggers only a few times. The latency between the hit and the triggered sample always bugged the hell out of me for live use. Maybe there was user errors that caused this, but my band never had luck using triggers.

Avoid Ddrum Redshot triggers. Crap.

My drummer uses a alesis live. It has 4 pads and a selector knob and He can load his own presets in. Not sure of the model but I will find out

My band tried the SPD-S to trigger kicks (and we also use backing samples) but we could never get the kick samples to even work.

My band tried the SPD-S to trigger kicks (and we also use backing samples) but we could never get the kick samples to even work.

too bad, maybe read the manual

HCL:

the 2box drumit can load up multisamples, but in my opinion it's overkill for live sound and the old drum modules do the job fine. You propably want a drum module for the triggered drum sound.. in other words you play a heavier form of metal. If you want a drum module to emulate a dynamic acoustic set then it's kind'a pointless - a good bass drum, a good bass drum mic, and a decent gate will do the job way better

Don't hate, but the kick drum sound on the Roland TD3 is quite decent for live work. The snares suck ass. I actually prefer the DM4/5 for snare, and the roland for kick. Wouldnt use any of it on a recording.

too bad, maybe read the manual

I personally haven't paged through it, but the other guys did. They got the samples loaded to the pads, and the little light would blink, indicating that the sample is being triggered, but no audio was delivered. Also they messed with a Ddrum module and just couldn't get thresh/sens to work properly, then the kick trigger broke. Fail.

My drummer uses a alesis live. It has 4 pads and a selector knob and He can load his own presets in. Not sure of the model but I will find out

Thanks dude! does he trigger his kick with it too?

Don't hate, but the kick drum sound on the Roland TD3 is quite decent for live work. The snares suck ass. I actually prefer the DM4/5 for snare, and the roland for kick. Wouldnt use any of it on a recording.

yeah? sweet, Id only ever want to trigger my kick really..

I personally haven't paged through it, but the other guys did. They got the samples loaded to the pads, and the little light would blink, indicating that the sample is being triggered, but no audio was delivered. Also they messed with a Ddrum module and just couldn't get thresh/sens to work properly, then the kick trigger broke. Fail.

This sucks.. that probably burnt you out on trying after that?

I agree, I was quite surprised with how the td3's sounds manage live.. very punchy. One issue though, are the limited options when it comes to setting up triggering detection. When you have two separate bass drums, or the axis e-kit, it'll be ok, but other than that it is really prone to misstriggering.

Look, all I can say is that it does work, first hand experience. I agree that ddrum triggers are shit, I highly recommend roland