Two short 5150 clips, one @ cranked volume the other @ quiet

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, just recorded the 5150 all by itself (one mono track)- 1 clip with the red channel cranked up to 4 on post gain, and the other at typical bedroom levels which was recorded with the post gain on 1.

See if you think the difference in tone is worthwhile:

www.omission.fireway.co.uk/quiet.mp3

www.omission.fireway.co.uk/cranked.mp3

To me it seems to give it a bit more balls , but not that much (but this is just the 5150 by itself with no TS in front)

Kev

Yeah, the second sounds richer then the first one... more attack as well... sounds better on 4 in my opinion, Kev... im listening to it on my headphones...

After I adjusted the volume so that both mp3s are equally loud, I had a hard time hearing any difference ...

Actually right now, since both mp3s are titled hmm - hmm I can't tell which is which in Winamp ...

the cranked clip would be my preference. Dunno if you'd be able to tell in a mix context, BUT, what I've found to happen is when you start to double and quad track the 'quiet' tracks, things start to sound mushy very quickly...

Charlie

CJWall said:
the cranked clip would be my preference. Dunno if you'd be able to tell in a mix context, BUT, what I've found to happen is when you start to double and quad track the 'quiet' tracks, things start to sound mushy very quickly...

Charlie

You just have to be tighter to play them at low volumes ;)

the 5150 is a great low volume amp imho. not quite as good as any engl amp, but certainly WAY better than any marshall or the framus cobra.

Torniojaws said:
You just have to be tighter to play them at low volumes ;)

that could be, but for me it's always been the way the low-end reacts when the tubes aren't working as hard.. or even how the mic is picking up the low-end.. something just seems odd, at least on my amp :err:

hmmm..