Two versions of pro tools on same computer?

brianhood

No Care Ever
Is it possible to install PT LE 7.4 and 8 on the same computer? Possibly on different hard drives?
I would only need to run 1 at a time(obviously), but there are pros and cons of each version depending on what stage the recording process i'm in. Editing is slow as hell on 8 for me(quite laggy on my system compared to 7.4).

If you have them installed on seperate bootable drives or partitions it would work. When I first upgraded to 8 I was paranoid, so I bought a new drive and cloned my OS drive and updated that. I used to boot up in 7 to edit cause I hated the way the waveforms looked in 8, but I got used to it. I mainly use my 7 drive for back ups now, but I still have PT installed on it just in case.

If you have them installed on seperate bootable drives or partitions it would work. When I first upgraded to 8 I was paranoid, so I bought a new drive and cloned my OS drive and updated that. I used to boot up in 7 to edit cause I hated the way the waveforms looked in 8, but I got used to it. I mainly use my 7 drive for back ups now, but I still have PT installed on it just in case.

oh that sucks. You can't access files on your main OS drive from your bootable OS partition can you?

I remember when i installed vista on one of my computers on a separate partition, and i couldn't access any of the files on XP from Vista and vice versa.

You should be able to access the files fine on a mac, it just gets a little confusing to find some of the stuff. I have no idea on windows, I get frustrated even trying to check my email on a PC

oh that sucks. You can't access files on your main OS drive from your bootable OS partition can you?

I remember when i installed vista on one of my computers on a separate partition, and i couldn't access any of the files on XP from Vista and vice versa.

That doesn't make any sense. Hard drives are hard drives, Windows doesn't care what's on them as long as they're formatted in a way it can read.

I run 4 hard drives, 8 partitions total, 3 versions of Windows (XP, XP64 and Win7) - there's a few programs I only have installed on one version of Windows, but I run them on all three with no problems.

Steve

im with you...
some stuff in 8 is definalty laggy.
emailed avidesign about it, and their response was akin to, "yeah well SOME people have noticed that"
fuckers.

We used to run different versions of PT HD at the studio, but they were also coupled to different versions of Mac OS on different drives.