TYR- covering old-school Sabbath and Rainbow

muzmaze

pyramontyrsuidvan
Mar 28, 2006
N.H., USA
TYR- one of my favorite metal band these days covering Sabbaths "I" and Rainbows "Stargazer" . Like many here I grew up and was introduced to metal by the likes of Sabbath & Rainbow etc. But honestly I've never heard these two great songs until just recently. I think TYR flat-out did an amazing job covering both these tunes. And "I" is one of my favorite tunes on TYR's new CD that is loaded with amazing tracks. Thoughts & opinions?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNVhGD_JYB0&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GLDT3LMr3A&feature=related[/ame]

I have the album and I think it's not Tyr's finest hour, neither are the covers that good.

Actually for my taste 'Stargazer' has always been overrated and Tyr didn't catch the darkness of the original anyway, 'I' came out better. But I must recognize their respect for Dio.

I usually despise cover versions, especially those of metal bands covering metal songs.

But I must admit that I find these two to be among the best 'metal on metal' covers I've ever heard! Excellent job! TYR's new album, as well as the one that preceeded it, are fantastic! Much better than "Land".

Excellent job! TYR's new album, as well as the one that preceeded it, are fantastic! Much better than "Land".

I think their previous one is their best so far, and I agree that "Land" is boring, their weakest one indeed.

As for covers, I'm a sucker for them but these two didn't grab me that much.

I thought these covers were good. I don't get why some people despise new bands doing so many covers.

I don't get why some people despise new bands doing so many covers.

I agree. Look at classic bands, Deep Purple made their first album basically on covers. I'm now listening to Riot second album where they have a cover of 'Born To Be Wild', I doubt anyone complaint at the time.

Newer bands are doing the same, no problem for me as long as the covers are good. I think the trick is to pick a cover that will match your style or that you're able to make it your way and still sound good.

Doesn't every band cover Sabbath or Rainbow at some point? :)

Or Maiden and Priest? I guess so.

Some 35 years from now they maybe covering actual bands and calling it the old school :D

The song "I" is Heri's alltime favorite tune. Props to him and TYR for recognizing. And I think The Lay Of Thrym is right up there with Eric The Red for me. Better than By The Light Of The Northern Star.

Eric- has some of thier greatest songs. But I think The Lay- is overall thier best...not a weak track imo.