Tyr!!

this is one thing i never understood:

6 string bass standard tuning- BEADGC

why is the high string tuned an extra half step as opposed to the guitars next string after G being B?

@Death Metal:
I played guitar for about 7 years or so before I picked up the bass, I've been playing bass for 9-10 years now.
I don't know how much time I've spent on that particular thing exactly, but as long as I warm up I can play speedy stuff quite effortlessly over long periods. I practice alot though.

Tyr said:
@Death Metal:
I played guitar for about 7 years or so before I picked up the bass, I've been playing bass for 9-10 years now.
I don't know how much time I've spent on that particular thing exactly, but as long as I warm up I can play speedy stuff quite effortlessly over long periods. I practice alot though.

ok tnx...Dont whant to bother but how do you warm up?
I play bass myself (as you might have figured out yourself) and my main problem is my right hand endurance.

DeathMetal said:
ok tnx...Dont whant to bother but how do you warm up?
I play bass myself (as you might have figured out yourself) and my main problem is my right hand endurance.
Actually I start with sit-ups and push-ups, not many, just like 15-20 of each, just enough to increase the bloods circulation to the main muscle-groups of the body. Then I massage and stretch my arms and hands, at this point you will actually feel the increase of the blood circulation in your arms and hands.
After this I pick up the bass and I play scales around the 9-10th fret (which implies no stretching of the left-hand fingers), start slow and gradually increase the speed. During the warm up on the bass, I stop several times to stretch and massage my arms, hands and fingers.
It usually takes around ten minutes to do the whole warm up.

There is another thing that is very important though, and that is how you hold your instrument and how you position your hands on it.
When you sit, adjust your shoulder-strap so that the instrument nearly touches your lap, now it should be at the same level when you sit as when you stand. The nut (headstock) should be level with your head, hold the neck in a 45 degree angle from your body.
Now, this is important: do not bend your right-hand wrist, rather push your upper arm and elbow slightly foreward to straighten it. The muscles you use to play the bass is located on the front and back of your forearm just beneath the elbow-joint. So its important to keep the blood circulation on a steady level. If you bend your wrist when you play, you will after a while get tendonitis.

thebigyetti said:
this is one thing i never understood:

6 string bass standard tuning- BEADGC

why is the high string tuned an extra half step as opposed to the guitars next string after G being B?

With this tuning, every string has the same musical distance to the next one (a "quart", don´t know if it is called the same way in english). This would not be possible with guitars, ´cause you would need 6 Fingers to shape any chord that way....(or at least it would be more difficult).