U2

Violens

Jun 14, 2007
What do you think about this band? I like Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree quite much

Big fan of the band's early work.

The Joshua Tree is one of the best albums ever recorded.

They have been good for the radio but another "radio band" I just dont buy albums by. I was pretty impressed with a recent concert I watched on TV about a year ago. Cant believe the size of their following, they were all the rage in the 80's. Never crazy about Bono's voice but decent songs just the same.

U2, imo, will never top Joshua Tree. For me, it's all been downhill since. They are just mediocre and yeh, bland. Certainly, one of the most overrated bands ever. Really, there just not relevant and wish they would go away. Hey, that's just me.

They appeal to the masses, have a sound of their own, do have a knack for writing catchy songs. Thats all it is really, maybe not to the preference of most musicians or music freaks but regulars took to them. Its like say Abba, I cant stand them, but my girlfriend is downright silly about them, all that pop stuff.... its for the regulars.

Have you listened to the musicianship on most of their albums Razor? I know teen-age kids who play in their parents garage(mine) who are better than these cats. Mullins and the bass player are just horrid in keeping the bottom. I used to think Edge had some chops, but has no imagination and plays likes he's bored. A perfect example of a band who no longer take chances, concentrate on composing good music or playing well. And I have seen them live back in 1985 or so, and they just suck big donkey balls.

Have you listened to the musicianship on most of their albums Razor? I know teen-age kids who play in their parents garage(mine) who are better than these cats. Mullins and the bass player are just horrid in keeping the bottom. I used to think Edge had some chops, but has no imagination and plays likes he's bored. A perfect example of a band who no longer take chances, concentrate on composing good music or playing well. And I have seen them live back in 1985 or so, and they just suck big donkey balls.

No I dont listen to them closely, I dont own any, just know the songs that made them and thats all I was saying. They offered up a sound people liked. Not all successful bands are highly talented, nor do all highly talented musicians create good music of their own.

though I think some pretty good song came out of Edge's simple chords structure
+10

Not all successful bands are highly talented, nor do all highly talented musicians create good music of their own.
This is true but I find that metalheads (and i don't mean you in particular) judge all musicians based on chops and not feel as much. If a guitarist like Edge for example is not technically brilliant in chops then he is not considered talented. Personally I think Edge is talented in his simplicity and says alot more then the majority of metal guitarists who all tend to sound like each other without standing out. The Edge's playing is unique imo. There may be others that sound like him but he was there before them and made it his own. And he didn't have to play a million mph to do it.

Always liked the phrase from one of Claptons songs "Its in the way that you use it". Though Im not sure the exact context its used in that song it ironically applies to music as well as everything else. Coming from Clapton its even more precious as he was not Mr Technical but played all the right notes

I love early U2 and some of their 90s stuff isn't bad, "All That You Can't"....is a really good album and I probably liked one song off their last one, and it wasn't that GOD AWFUL Vertigo song. Haven't heard the new one. "The Unforgettable Fire" is probably my favourite U2 though.