UFC 62: LIDDELL VS. SOBRAL

maddu

Apr 3, 2006
The UFC 62 is coming soon on our TV! Who do you think can pull the win this time? Are you a fan of Chuck Liddel or Renato Sobral? Do you think Chuck Liddel is going to win this fight? Well For me I guess Renato "babalu" Sobral is going to win this fight! He has a strong fighting techniques, a good Takedowns/Striking!

here's the fight card: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.FightCard&eid=201

The only fight on this card that I'm looking forward to is Liddell/Babalu. And the only reason I was initially rooting for Chuck was so that he and Wanderlei Silva would fight in November. And since now it looks like that isn't going to happen, I'm pulling for Babalu in this fight. I think Liddell will win, mainly because Babalu's only real chance is for a submission on the ground. And Liddell is just very difficult to get down. And even if you do get him down, he tends to get right back up. I say Liddell by KO in the 2nd round.

And I honestly have no interest in Bonnar/Griffin II. The first fight was entertaining, but I think it was more frustrating for me to watch because neither guy threw any power shots that did any damage. The only thing that could have stopped one of the fighters was exhaustion rather than strikes or submissions. It was just so sloppy and with very little technique involved. And Bonnar has looked entirely unimpressive in his last couple fights. Griffin seems to have more potential than Bonnar, even though Forrest has some of the worst boxing skills in all of MMA. I swear he landed about 2% of his punches in the Tito Ortiz fight. He hit nothing but air all night long.

This is definitely a mediocre UFC card but I'll still see it with a few friends. No way I'm spending $40 on that by myself. And get ready for Dana to announce tonight during the live weighins that Shamrock and Ortiz will fight on SpikeTV in October. Oh man.

Yeah I agree with you Sickman! I am looking forward for the fight between Chuck Liddel and Renato Sobral! And I am pulling Sobral to win this fight!
I am too excited to watch this tomorrow night on PPV! And I hope PPV will show re-play of this UFC 62 for us to have a 2nd look of what will happen!

I watched the UFC this evening on Spike TV and they announced a FREE show on SpikeTV in October for the once and for all final match for Shamrock vs. Ortiz! October 10 I think it was, on Spike!

Yeah it's on PPV! Sorry guys I am just too excited about the UFC 62! Thanks for reminding me!
I will watch it on PPV tomorrow night!
I edit my post too! :)

I have a feeling Bablu/Chuck will end like Mir/Sylvia. Chuck will over-commit to a punch and fall into Babalu's guard, and instead of armbarred, he'll get triangled.

At least, that's what I hope.

i dont know much about the ufc, but i watch it sometimes. its great to watch, because it is everything wrestling is (xpt for the babes and chairs) exept real. its brutal stuff.

Well, Chuck steamrolled Babalu much quicker than I thought he would. Could Babalu have gone in with a worse gameplan? The guy trained specifically for Chuck Liddell for months and the plan he and his team came up with was to charge Chuck and duke it out with him? Maybe he figured that by throwing so many punches, he'd back Chuck up against the cage and then from there, he'd have his best chance at taking him down. But there's no way you take the risk of slugging it out with a guy like Liddell. Babalu is a guy who's fought Fedor (under much different rules), Shogun, Horn and Pele. So the guy is obviously experienced, yet Chuck walked through him like it was his first fight. You gotta feel bad for Babalu. So now what does he do with his career? Keep fighting and work his way up to another ass-kicking by Liddell again? Hopefully for Babalu, the next time he works his way to a title shot, Liddell will either be retired or not be the champion anymore.

It's just too bad that the Wanderlei Silva/Liddell fight will probably never happen.

Sickman said:
Well, Chuck steamrolled Babalu much quicker than I thought he would. Could Babalu have gone in with a worse gameplan? The guy trained specifically for Chuck Liddell for months and the plan he and his team came up with was to charge Chuck and duke it out with him? Maybe he figured that by throwing so many punches, he'd back Chuck up against the cage and then from there, he'd have his best chance at taking him down. But there's no way you take the risk of slugging it out with a guy like Liddell. Babalu is a guy who's fought Fedor (under much different rules), Shogun, Horn and Pele. So the guy is obviously experienced, yet Chuck walked through him like it was his first fight. You gotta feel bad for Babalu. So now what does he do with his career? Keep fighting and work his way up to another ass-kicking by Liddell again? Hopefully for Babalu, the next time he works his way to a title shot, Liddell will either be retired or not be the champion anymore.

It's just too bad that the Wanderlei Silva/Liddell fight will probably never happen.

They should at least throw Shogun at Chuck.

If anybody from Pride fights Chuck, it will be in the UFC. And for whatever reason, whether it's Dana's fault or Pride's fault, I can't see it happening anytime soon. And I guess Shogun has made the permanent move to heavyweight. Or at least until Wanderlei retires or until one of them moves on to a different organization. The UFC could certainly use a guy like Shogun, but I'm not sure what his contract situation is with Pride. He has two fights in the next two months, but after that, I don't know.

Anyway, the time is fast approaching, End of Your Days. You ordering Final Conflict on Sunday?

Man, that was pretty humbling. I don't know why, but during the staredown, I turned to my friend and said, "I think Silva might be in trouble here." Cro Cop just had a look in his eyes that I hadn't seen from him in quite some time. But I honestly never thought the fight would go like that. Cro Cop completely dismantled him. Not quite to the extent of Anderson Silva/Chris Leben, but it was pretty damn close. And to see Silva just collapse in a bloody heap at the end of that fight was surreal.

And I don't know if it's just a case of this loss being so fresh in my memory, but as a Silva fan, I'm much more concerned now about a potential Liddell fight than I was two days ago. As you could see last night, Cro Cop threw straight accurate punches right down the middle, while Silva threw nothing but wide, looping shots. A guy like Liddell could very well expose that flaw in Silva's game. Silva looked like an amateur. I'm hoping that a lot of this has to do with Silva putting on so much weight. He needs to fight at 205.

Cro Cop vs Silva showed me that Chuck Liddell would win if they fought. Chuck may not have the calibur of striking that Cro Cop does but Chuck Liddell is acurate with his punches and lands on the button. Cro Cop counter punched Silva, Chuck Liddell is a counter puncher so you can put two and two together.

Silva can beat Chuck you should never rule out of a fighter in any fight but I see Chuck winning if they ever get to fight.

I still consider Silva the #1 205 pounder in MMA, but Chuck's only a hair behind him. But when you really look at this realistically, Cro Cop is probably the 2nd best HW on the planet. And regardless of the fact that Silva came in heavier than Cro Cop, Cro Cop is still the more experienced HW fighter. He looked lean and quick while Silva looked a little slow, both in punching speed and reaction time. It's hard to come to any type of logical conclusion based on this fight. Cro Cop likely would have beaten Chuck Liddell just as badly that night. But I DID feel a little nervous with the way Cro Cop exposed Silva. Chuck doesn't have Cro Cop's striking ability, but he's a great counter puncher who can KO people when he's moving backwards. And since Silva tends to get reckless and charge people, I think Chuck could very will win that fight. I'd say it's 50/50.

In all honesty, I don't think Silva has been the same fighter since the Hunt fight. He just looks different. He's aged a LOT in the last couple years. He looks like he's about 40 years old when he's actually only 30. The guy has been fighting at such an aggressive and high level for such a long time, it was only a matter of time before he hit the wall. He TKO'd Nakamura and Fujita since the Hunt fight, but he still wasn't the same Silva from the Jackson fights and prior. I'd really like to see him take a long time off after this fight.

I still see that damn kick in my mind all day long. It was just unreal to see Silva be beaten so badly. Chuck will not do that to Silva. Chuck is nowhere near the precision striker that Crocop is. NOWHERE NEAR. Silva fought Crocop, got destroyed, but he stepped up. Chuck wouldn't even have the balls to fight Tim Sylvia let alone the caliber athlete of a Mirko Crocop.