Uh Oh - Think i've got me a fake sm57 again...

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Think I gots me a fake SM57. For a fairly pricey 2nd hand rate too I might add.

Oddly the guy is based in NYC, and has 750 positive ebay transactions at 100%.

Mic is much lighter than my old one, and as far as I know all tops on SM57's should swivel. This fucker seems to be screwed on, other than that everything is pretty authentic *looking*.

Paypal dispute time I think... motherfucker took a picture of a real one too.

Think I gots me a fake SM57. For a fairly pricey 2nd hand rate too I might add.

Oddly the guy is based in NYC, and has 750 positive ebay transactions at 100%.

Mic is much lighter than my old one, and as far as I know all tops on SM57's should swivel. This fucker seems to be screwed on, other than that everything is pretty authentic *looking*.

Paypal dispute time I think... motherfucker took a picture of a real one too.

Douche...Move..

Open it up, the hot glue/orange wires are usually the dead give away..

EBAY PETPEEVE: People Posting Musicians-Friend pictures of "gear" they're trying to sell... like I'm dumb enough to buy something off ebay that has a stolen picture..

EDIT: In recollection, I fell victim to the scam once.. $65 dollars from a damned store with 100% feedback.. When I got the mic not only did it not work (at all) it was almost completely full of hotglue and only had one wire in it... Need-less to say, that store no longer has 100% positive feedback..

Yep i think its about time for that man. Stupid idiot takes returns as well. Perhaps Wolfeman can educate me on how to turn an sm57 into a stick of dynamite disguised as an sm57. Wires are green & yellow, and the pins at the bottom are marked 1,2,3 as well as having the shure logo.

Can anyone confirm for me that all sm57's have swivel tops before I take a trip to NYC and ram this up his jacksie? If paypal make me send this thing back to him, the irony is that the postage will cost more than this $1 mic is worth.

Edit: The whole mic has green and yellow wires all the way through.

Originals Should be green and yellow at the top, and when you take the bottom off you should get blue and pink I believe.

Urge to kill is rising, but i am trying to keep calm lol

Check this out lads-

Hi, Kev!
I do apologize, You do not like the item! Before I put this microphone to sell I check it on the WEB: v=MQiLpmXx14g&feature=channel
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRO7V2MidX8&feature=channel[/ame]

v=MQiLpmXx14g&feature=channel

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRO7V2MidX8&feature=channel[/ame]
and could not find anything wrong.
The microphone I got from my friend who closed his store(he owned to me lot of money and offered some items, I did not have any other choice and accepted his offer).
...Anyway if You asked for refund You will get it shortly.
Your item You could use as back up and do not need to return.
Thank You for Your business and understanding -I am really sorry again!
Best Regards!
max

Paypal payment has been immediately received. Well I never...

Now do i leave bad feedback or what? I basically have a free mic, albeit a terribly shit one.

That's a tough call... I mean he refunded your money quickly and acknowledged the screw up but at least he let you keep it and didn't ask for it back to resale. Unless he has more on there you could always report it to ebay.

You're helping out fellow musicians. I know I'd want someone to help me spot fake gear. That's because I was just about to buy a SM57 off ebay but its situations like these where I'd rather just spend the extra bucks and buy it new when shopping online.

I got two fake sm57's off of ebay a while back. Same story, seller had 100% + feedback (a lot) and a domestic address....but the mics shipped from china! For some reason I could not leave feedback. I cant remember all the details but I swear it seemed like some chinese man hacked someones ebay account and was using it to sell fake sm57's.

The mics I received looked very close to the real thing. The dead giveaways were the box, the paperwork, and the accessories. The mics sounded surprisingly decent, but I ended up giving them away.

To sum it up, NEVER buy an sm57 on ebay....no matter what kind of feedback the seller has. There are probably more fakes for sell than the real thing. I now visit my local music store and pay a few extra bucks.

Geezus, where do these fake SM57s even come from in the first place? I never seem to hear of them outside this forum board.
Sounds like it's just easier to buy them brand new, seeing as how they are one of the few mics that are actually relatively cheap when bought brand new

This is all I know as far as the fakes go:

2. Look at the XLR connector at the bottom, on a real sure the pins will be labled 1, 2, and 3. Fakes usually have some other brand marking or no marking at all.

3. Look at the capsule head (58 only) if there is a caution sticker... fake.

4. Unscrew the windscreen (again 58) look at the bottom of the windscreen. There will be a lip here where the threads are. If the lip is flat it's a fake, this is supposed to be rounded.

5. On both a 57 and 58 unscrew the middle of the mic. There should be 2 wires one green one yellow. Sometimes counterfeit ones have the same colors sometimes not. If it's anything but yellow and green it be a fake YAR!

6. Look at the circuit board the wires are soldiered to. There should be a red control stamp, fakes usually omit this.

7. A fake mic will usually be lighter than a real one.

8. Authentic mics ship with accessories including a microphone clip, cloth cable tie, Shure sticker, carrying pouch, manual, and warranty card. Fake microphones tend not to include all of these accessories; most obviously missing is the warranty card and cable tie. Also, the bag will be of low quality -- sometimes with a "Made in China" sticker on the inside. Remember, Shure's microphones are made in Mexico, not in China. (Direct quote from Joe Shambro).

9. Lastly, trust your ears, the real deal sounds better.

Add this- on the bottom of my real 57 the wires are red & blue, on the fake they are green and yellow (i think only the top wires should be green and yellow).

Also, the sm 57 cap must turn - this one is actually stuck in place pretty much without applying brute force.

Finally the writing/sticker is easily snuffed out as it will look low quality, and on this particular version the writing is more silver colored.

Hmmm looking over this my mic seems to be real only thing i don't know how to check is the bottom wire the top ones are green and yellow my only concern is the bag it came with seems fake it also says "made in china" on the inside of the bag.